SAL delivery delays?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 29th, '14, 16:12

SAL delivery delays?

by chingwa » Dec 29th, '14, 16:12

Have any of you noticed any delivery delays using SAL mail from Japan over the course of the last month? I placed an order with Thes Du Japon at the beginning of December and still have not received my order. Usually when I choose SAL delivery it is slow, anywhere from 1.5 weeks to 2.5 weeks, but this order is starting to worry me... it would be good to know that it's not just me and things are clogged up because of the holidays... or vice versa.

Dec 29th, '14, 17:29
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: SAL delivery delays?

by rdl » Dec 29th, '14, 17:29

I have noticed this beginning in the fall. It seems to have almost doubled in time from what I had come to expect over several years. I remember a Japanese vendor once wrote to expect delays due to customs in Japan being on higher alert. But that was some time ago.
Anyone else noticing greater arrival times? Beginning when?
I hope your package arrives soon!

Dec 29th, '14, 21:30

by Chip » Dec 29th, '14, 21:30

I hate using SAL ... it has really slowed over the last several years for deliveries from Japan to the US ... from my observations on US side of the equation. Used to sometimes only take a week to ten days, then it was often up to 3 weeks or even longer. Packages sit without tracking movement for sometimes weeks, often seemingly in customs. Meanwhile, EMS packages have been getting faster.

But amazingly the packages ALWAYS arrive. So, be patient and be surprised when it finalllllly arrives.

Hopefully your order was not tea?

Dec 29th, '14, 22:05

by kyarazen » Dec 29th, '14, 22:05

i never liked SAL either. EMS japan to the states is one of the fastest and most reasonably priced shipping methods

Dec 30th, '14, 04:36

by Tead Off » Dec 30th, '14, 04:36

kyarazen wrote:i never liked SAL either. EMS japan to the states is one of the fastest and most reasonably priced shipping methods
We've had very good results shipping teaware with SAL from Korea to USA & Europe. On occasion, there is a holdup, especially around the Holidays. The only missing package we've ever had over the years was an SAL to the USA.

I've also used SAL often from Thailand to USA/EU. No problems at all.

Dec 30th, '14, 08:11

by chingwa » Dec 30th, '14, 08:11

Thanks everyone. I've used SAL many times in the past without too much trouble,but I think this last order will be the last time I ever use it (when given the choice). The package was tea, but tea from Thes Du Japon always comes super vacuum packed, so I'm not too worried about it losing freshness... yet. Thankfully it's winter. I'll have to just account for EMS shipping in my tea budgets from now on I guess.

Dec 30th, '14, 10:31

by Alex » Dec 30th, '14, 10:31

Orders from Thes Japon always takes twice as long for me. SAL from anywhere else in Japan is always under a week for me. But from those guys its always 2.

Dec 30th, '14, 11:46

by rdl » Dec 30th, '14, 11:46

chingwa wrote:Thanks everyone. I've used SAL many times in the past without too much trouble,but I think this last order will be the last time I ever use it (when given the choice). The package was tea, but tea from Thes Du Japon always comes super vacuum packed, so I'm not too worried about it losing freshness... yet. Thankfully it's winter. I'll have to just account for EMS shipping in my tea budgets from now on I guess.
chingwa,
You may already know there is a SAL with tracking. I am guessing it is 500 Yen as $5 is the difference vendors add on to regular SAL. Even though the updates are not frequent you can track a package and know where it seems to be sitting. Funny enough, I see my SAL packages arriving in NYC from Japan, then eventually backtracking to me. I guess the cargo flights go to NYC.
I have never had a package not arrive. The balance for me is always what % shipping will be of my total purchase. So often I just put up with a longer waiting time. Agonizing as it is.

Dec 31st, '14, 11:17

by chingwa » Dec 31st, '14, 11:17

Well well well, guess what finally showed up exactly one month after ordering with a big SAL sticker on the front! :D

I also find Thes Du Japon delivery and handling times to be longer than a lot of other online sources, their offerings are sooo good though that it's worth the minor inconvenience of a short delay.

I was just starting to get used to my caffeine-free lifestyle over here... But at least now I won't have to forgo my traditional "first tea of the new year" tomorrow morning :) Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Dec 31st, '14, 11:32

by Chip » Dec 31st, '14, 11:32

THAT IS GREAT!

I am curious though ... why ship tea from Japan via SAL? That is rarely offered as a tea shipping method. First class air is much faster and is usually the "standard" offered by most vendors.

Jan 3rd, '15, 05:44

by Alex » Jan 3rd, '15, 05:44

maybe its not SAL i'm getting from O-cha? what's their basic shipping method?

Jan 3rd, '15, 13:38

by Chip » Jan 3rd, '15, 13:38

Alex wrote:maybe its not SAL i'm getting from O-cha? what's their basic shipping method?
I believe for US customers, it is referred to as 1st class air. And stamped small packages or packets.

Jan 9th, '15, 20:05

by entropyembrace » Jan 9th, '15, 20:05

Chip wrote:THAT IS GREAT!

I am curious though ... why ship tea from Japan via SAL? That is rarely offered as a tea shipping method. First class air is much faster and is usually the "standard" offered by most vendors.
I've been choosing SAL when ordering from Maiko tea it's slightly cheaper than air and seems to arrive in the same time to Canada (2 weeks almost exactly for both SAL and air).

Jan 9th, '15, 23:39

by Chip » Jan 9th, '15, 23:39

entropyembrace wrote:

I've been choosing SAL when ordering from Maiko tea it's slightly cheaper than air and seems to arrive in the same time to Canada (2 weeks almost exactly for both SAL and air).
It is usually quite different to the US.

Jan 9th, '15, 23:47

by Tead Off » Jan 9th, '15, 23:47

Chip wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:

It is usually quite different to the US.
Most of my US customers receive their SAL packages in 2 weeks. There are exceptions and the Holiday Season can be a nightmare. I just waited over 3 weeks to get a package from Europe sent Airmail which usually takes 5-7 days. It took more than 2 weeks to leave Europe because of the Holiday backup.

+ Post Reply