Shincha preordering

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 1st, '15, 13:09

Shincha preordering

by 5am » Apr 1st, '15, 13:09

What are you planning on getting this year?

Apr 3rd, '15, 15:01

Re: Shincha preordering

by 5am » Apr 3rd, '15, 15:01

How was the Japanese weather this year? I know it's been really cold here on the east coast but the warmest winter in Alaska in a long time, which gives me hope for that side of the world.

Chip do you have knowledge of that?

Apr 3rd, '15, 19:16

by chingwa » Apr 3rd, '15, 19:16

I'll likely be skipping shincha season again this year (as I did the past 2 years). I feel my tastes have changed and I enjoy the less "bright" flavor of tea that's been sitting for a few months much more now. :wink:

Apr 3rd, '15, 21:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 3rd, '15, 21:25

5am, sorry ... i have been too busy to monitor things in Japan so far this year. Her is hoping for a great shincha!

I do not get too preoccupied with preordering shincha anymore ... unless I am going to be out of sencha from previous harvest too soon.

Plus I was burned by a vendor who had my shincha money for a month, then decided he was not going to sell to me. Though I obviously do not deal with this vendor and completely trust the vendors I do deal with ... it just seemed to alter my ordering philosophy.

But that could change. And I still do check out many shincha listings ... and anxiously read what others are ordering.

Apr 5th, '15, 07:18

by Tead Off » Apr 5th, '15, 07:18

chingwa wrote:I'll likely be skipping shincha season again this year (as I did the past 2 years). I feel my tastes have changed and I enjoy the less "bright" flavor of tea that's been sitting for a few months much more now. :wink:
I feel the very same way and I will be in Japan during the new season in May.

Apr 5th, '15, 09:43
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Apr 5th, '15, 09:43

I am pretty sure shincha will be released early this year. We usually can tell by when the cherry trees bloom and they seem to be blooming earlier than usual this year.

Apr 5th, '15, 11:19

by sherubtse » Apr 5th, '15, 11:19

chingwa wrote:I'll likely be skipping shincha season again this year (as I did the past 2 years). I feel my tastes have changed and I enjoy the less "bright" flavor of tea that's been sitting for a few months much more now. :wink:
I will likely be ordering shincha this year, as I have refrained from doing so in the past. Question is - which ones to order? :?:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Last edited by sherubtse on Apr 5th, '15, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 5th, '15, 11:21

by sherubtse » Apr 5th, '15, 11:21

Kevangogh wrote:I am pretty sure shincha will be released early this year. We usually can tell by when the cherry trees bloom and they seem to be blooming earlier than usual this year.
Any indication of the quality of the teas this year, Kevin? If I remember correctly, last year's SM was better than anticipated.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 6th, '15, 05:30

by Alex » Apr 6th, '15, 05:30

+1

Apr 6th, '15, 06:07

by Balthazar » Apr 6th, '15, 06:07

+1 from me too. If I do end up making a shincha order, I'll probably let the teas rest for half a year or so before actually drinking them.

Apr 12th, '15, 06:31

by Noonie » Apr 12th, '15, 06:31

I've always wondered about this with regards to Shincha, and I guess Sencha in general...I figured now, and as part of this thread, is a good time to ask.

- how many times is Sencha harvested in a year, and if more than once, when is the 2nd (3rd, etc.) harvest, approximately (I should know this...but forgive me for loving to drink Sencha and not "know it" :oops: :lol: )

- lets say a vendor releases Shincha on May 1. And it's Sae Midori cultivar. Lets say I buy 100g shortly after, and it's indicated on the website that it's Shincha (trusted vendor, too). I then order Sae Midori on the first of every month, the remainder of the year from this vendor. Am I getting Shincha on June 1, July 1...when do I stop getting Shincha?

I'll have some follow-up questions based on my assumptions, but I won't assume anything right now, until I know better.

Thank you.

Apr 12th, '15, 07:00

by sherubtse » Apr 12th, '15, 07:00

Noonie wrote:I've always wondered about this with regards to Shincha, and I guess Sencha in general...I figured now, and as part of this thread, is a good time to ask.

- how many times is Sencha harvested in a year, and if more than once, when is the 2nd (3rd, etc.) harvest, approximately (I should know this...but forgive me for loving to drink Sencha and not "know it" :oops: :lol: )

- lets say a vendor releases Shincha on May 1. And it's Sae Midori cultivar. Lets say I buy 100g shortly after, and it's indicated on the website that it's Shincha (trusted vendor, too). I then order Sae Midori on the first of every month, the remainder of the year from this vendor. Am I getting Shincha on June 1, July 1...when do I stop getting Shincha?

I'll have some follow-up questions based on my assumptions, but I won't assume anything right now, until I know better.

Thank you.
Kevin has given a brief explanation of shincha here:

http://www.o-cha.com/shincha/

He has also given fuller explanations recently on the O-Cha Facebook page.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 12th, '15, 07:13
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 12th, '15, 07:13

Hoping I can pick up some Kagoshima shincha in Okinawa at the end of the month!

Apr 14th, '15, 19:44

by sherubtse » Apr 14th, '15, 19:44

Maiko is accepting shincha pre-orders now:

http://www.maiko.ne.jp/english/shopping/shincha.htm

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 15th, '15, 04:00
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Apr 15th, '15, 04:00

sherubtse wrote:
Kevangogh wrote:I am pretty sure shincha will be released early this year. We usually can tell by when the cherry trees bloom and they seem to be blooming earlier than usual this year.
Any indication of the quality of the teas this year, Kevin? If I remember correctly, last year's SM was better than anticipated.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
I just made the purchase of this year's Sae Midori and I think it's even better than last year. We'll have that one within 48 hours, you absolutely will not be disappointed on this year's SM.

As far as Yutaka Midori is concerned, I haven't decided on that, still trying samples. It's been more difficult to find a good one so far, there was a lot of rain and weird weather. I hold out for a long time on Yutaka Midori, I usually have to try a lot of them before I get the one I want. YM is almost our signature tea, that one has to be the best I can obtain. You would be surprised how many mediocre YM there are out there.

+ Post Reply