Help beginner with matcha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 22nd, '15, 15:34

by Ragnin » May 22nd, '15, 15:34

Hey, I know nothing about green tea or matcha but I've read that it is good for losing weight and as a excellent replacement to soda and coffee. But my researching it has been somewhat overwhelming when it comes to choosing a brand and what the types of matcha even are.

I ran across this place during that searching and figured you all seemed to be friendly and knowledgeable about tea and would ask you all. I'm looking for a matcha I can drink everyday along with the stuff needed to prepare it. Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

May 22nd, '15, 15:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Help beginner with matcha

by Chip » May 22nd, '15, 15:46

I am a believer in what i call "the substitution principle" where there is a benefit to subbing something good for something ... bad. Just do not have unrealistic expectations. Replacing soda with tea such as matcha should be part of a broader program.

Check out the starter sets on o-cha.com!

Welcome to teachat.

May 22nd, '15, 19:40

by Ragnin » May 22nd, '15, 19:40

Do you mean o-cha.com? Because ocha.com leads me to a blank page.

I don't have unrealistic expectations of it lol. I've just been looking for something to replace all the soda I drink and water is kind of boring to drink all the time. I didn't see any stater sets on o-cha.com. At least not for matcha. There was a starter kit but I'm not sure what all the differences between the matcha were other then a few being organic.

May 22nd, '15, 20:29

by sherubtse » May 22nd, '15, 20:29

Ragnin wrote:Do you mean o-cha.com? Because ocha.com leads me to a blank page.

I don't have unrealistic expectations of it lol. I've just been looking for something to replace all the soda I drink and water is kind of boring to drink all the time. I didn't see any stater sets on o-cha.com. At least not for matcha. There was a starter kit but I'm not sure what all the differences between the matcha were other then a few being organic.
This should get you started:

http://www.o-cha.com/Matcha-Starter-Kit.html

As for the differences between the different matchas on offer, read the descriptions for each one. O-Cha's descriptions are excellent.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

May 22nd, '15, 21:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 22nd, '15, 21:56

... yeah, that's the ticket!

May 23rd, '15, 19:24

by Ragnin » May 23rd, '15, 19:24

Thank you all for your help. I've decided to go with the starter kit. I choose the Uji Organic Matcha (pretty much the cheapest) along with the Yuteki Ten Me matcha bowl. I wanted the Kyoto Matcha Bowl Mishimabori bowl but alas its sold out. Does the bowl make a huge difference in matcha?

I also went to a tea place with my sister that had matcha and tried it there. It was very hot (my tongue and roof of my mouth feel burnt). Is it suppose to be that hot? It had a somewhat bitter and grassy taste to it though I was able to drink it fine. My sister got her's with almond milk which I find I didn't not enjoy as much as mine with straight water. The one with milk seemed to taste not sure if I can think up a good word but flat? or maybe plain?

May 24th, '15, 15:40

by Teaarch » May 24th, '15, 15:40

This topic reminded me of my beginnings with matcha. Unfortunately, I didn't heed a few crucial pieces of advice that left me with some bitter matcha. I foolishly thought I could get along without a chasen, for instance, and instead just whisk really well with a metal one (big mistake).

You seem to be off on the right foot with a starter kit. However, that's only part of the struggle; the other half is actually making it right: whisking correctly and getting the right amount of matcha per ml of water and getting the temperature of the water just right (fortunately the matcha I've had didn't seem to be as temp sensitive as some of the tea I've had, but I strive for perfection nonetheless).

Also, I'm assuming you know the difference between koicha and usucha? I've found this page
http://www.kyoto-teramachi.or.jp/horaid ... Matcha.htm
and this one
http://theartofjapanesegreentea.com/mat ... ing-guide/
to be of help in making usucha (click the video at the bottom of the first link to see it done).

As for your questions, the bowl you ordered should be fine -- I can't speak for the matcha, because I haven't tried it, but I haven't been disappointed with O-Cha's other matchas (their kaoru supreme is excellent). As for the almond milk, never done that myself and I wouldn't personally try it with anything but water.

Best of luck. :D

May 31st, '15, 04:04

by Ragnin » May 31st, '15, 04:04

My matcha arrived today and when I saw the beat up box I was worried about my tea bowl. Luckily everything was fine. I did my first attempt today and thought it came out ok. Had a kind of grassy taste to it but over all I was able to drink it with no problem. I did have a hard time getting it to foam like I saw in all the videos I watched about making it.

One thing I was not really able to find a clear answer on was how much water I should use. Most just said use 1-2 scoops of match then add water. I went with 1 generous scoop and one less generous and then added a little over 1/3 cup of water. To me this felt like not enough water but I really have no clue. Any advice on this front?

May 31st, '15, 05:34

by hobin » May 31st, '15, 05:34

1/3 of your cup is way too much! 70 ml for usucha (thin foamy matcha) and 40 ml for koicha (thick one). in case you prepare koicha you don't have to produce any foam, just stir carefully. hope it helps :)

May 31st, '15, 07:28

by Ragnin » May 31st, '15, 07:28

Sorry I meant 1/3 measuring cup or about 2.6 ounces. So 70 ml for one scoop or 2 of Usucha?

May 31st, '15, 08:10

by hobin » May 31st, '15, 08:10

Ragnin wrote:Sorry I meant 1/3 measuring cup or about 2.6 ounces. So 70 ml for one scoop or 2 of Usucha?
so the water amount should be allright.
you usually have 2 scoops (chashaku) for a bowl of usucha (70 ml) and 3 for koicha (40 ml). you should use top quality matcha for koicha else it won't be drinkable (too harsh!)

Jun 1st, '15, 20:56
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Jun 1st, '15, 20:56

A few tips:
  • ** Make sure you are pre-heating the bowl and drying it before starting.

Pre-wet the whisk.

Use about 1 3/4 scoops. Error on the side of more matcha.

Add hot water to a small teacup, then pour from that into the pre-warmed tea bowl with the matcha. It's easier to control the amount of water you add.

There's no hard rule on how much water you add, depends on the matcha.

Practice a lot
That's why preparing matcha is an art form.

Jun 2nd, '15, 04:03

by Pig Hog » Jun 2nd, '15, 04:03

These days I'm much preferring usucha with less water. More like 50ml or so. Much richer flavour and it makes the colour much more vibrant.

Just saying, right.

Jun 4th, '15, 01:58

by Ragnin » Jun 4th, '15, 01:58

Thank you all for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I'm enjoying the matcha and am slowly getting better at making it.

+ Post Reply