Taiping Houkui green tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 19th, '15, 03:50

Taiping Houkui green tea

by John Li » Aug 19th, '15, 03:50

Have you ever tried Taiping Houkui green tea?
Do you like it?

I really like the taste and shape of tea leaves of this kind of green tea.

Aug 19th, '15, 07:59

Re: Taiping Houkui green tea

by hobin » Aug 19th, '15, 07:59

Yes, it's one of my favourite green teas. Where do you usually buy it?

Aug 19th, '15, 09:17

by John Li » Aug 19th, '15, 09:17

hobin wrote:Yes, it's one of my favourite green teas. Where do you usually buy it?
Hi Hobin,
I know not a lot of people who tried this tea :)
Usually I buy it here http://tea-store.co.uk/product/taiping- ... ea-london/

Aug 19th, '15, 09:58

by debunix » Aug 19th, '15, 09:58

I love the touch of spice in TPHK. I've gotten it from my local brick n' mortar shop as well as a couple of other places, and it's always been good. This morning I'm enjoying something with a distinct name, part of a 'green tea tasting set' special offer from Imen at Tea Habitat, that is very like TPHK, but called Feng Nie Jian from Hou Village. Unfortunately, today I'm drinking the last of the package, and the broken bits make it unnattractive for photography...but this is what it looked like a few weeks ago

Aug 19th, '15, 10:24

by John Li » Aug 19th, '15, 10:24

debunix wrote:I love the touch of spice in TPHK. I've gotten it from my local brick n' mortar shop as well as a couple of other places, and it's always been good. This morning I'm enjoying something with a distinct name, part of a 'green tea tasting set' special offer from Imen at Tea Habitat, that is very like TPHK, but called Feng Nie Jian from Hou Village. Unfortunately, today I'm drinking the last of the package, and the broken bits make it unnattractive for photography...but this is what it looked like a few weeks ago
Hi debunix,
thanks for your feedback,
I still have 100 g and I can enjoy this tea some time yet ;)

Aug 19th, '15, 18:13

by hobin » Aug 19th, '15, 18:13

John Li wrote:
hobin wrote:Yes, it's one of my favourite green teas. Where do you usually buy it?
Hi Hobin,
I've never heard of this store. I'll consider it for my future orders :)

Aug 19th, '15, 21:58

by chrl42 » Aug 19th, '15, 21:58

debunix wrote:I love the touch of spice in TPHK. I've gotten it from my local brick n' mortar shop as well as a couple of other places, and it's always been good. This morning I'm enjoying something with a distinct name, part of a 'green tea tasting set' special offer from Imen at Tea Habitat, that is very like TPHK, but called Feng Nie Jian from Hou Village. Unfortunately, today I'm drinking the last of the package, and the broken bits make it unnattractive for photography...but this is what it looked like a few weeks ago

Perhaps it IS TPHK.

Nie Jian (捏尖), meaning hand-made, as opposed to Bu Jian (machine-made)...Jian (尖) is a shape describing TPHK, TPHK is also known as Jian Cha. Hou Village seems 猴坑..some famous village producing TPHK.

Feng Nie Jian..the word got me confused...

Anyways, TPHK is a very good tea produced around Huangshan area..I heard Hu Jin-tao was pretty fond of promoting this his hometown tea...TPHK doesn't have a long tradition as other top ten famous China green teas..however its unique processing technique and good environment seem to have made this tea on top, both quality and price.

Aug 19th, '15, 22:21

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 19th, '15, 22:21

Wow that tea looks yummy! Makes me want to drink more greens!

Aug 20th, '15, 06:43

by John Li » Aug 20th, '15, 06:43

hobin wrote:
John Li wrote:
Hi Hobin,
I've never heard of this store. I'll consider it for my future orders :)
At the moment this is my favorite tea store,
I bought there Taiping Houkui and Meng Ding Gun Lu green tea and their quality was great.

Next time I want to try Kai Hua Long Ding Premium green tea :)

Aug 20th, '15, 07:15

by John Li » Aug 20th, '15, 07:15

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:Wow that tea looks yummy! Makes me want to drink more greens!
Hi PolyhymnianMuse,
If you never tasted Taiping Houkui you should try it :D
Attachments
2015-08-20 111111.jpg
2015-08-20 111111.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

Jan 23rd, '16, 12:25

by Evan Draper » Jan 23rd, '16, 12:25

I used to make translations from the 中国茶经 and post them on my blog, plucktea.com. (I do not really speak much Chinese at all, but it was a fun hobby.) The last one I was working on was Taiping Houkui. To my astonishment, the article was not very illustrative of TPHK's distinctive manufacture. (You can find videos of 太平猴魁 production online--a roller is used to press lower leaves flat onto a wire mesh screen.) Instead, the article said 太平猴魁 was a 尖茶, which is to say, made of budsets! I have always wondered about this discrepancy. Were these indeed the same teas? Were they two different products that evolved in series or parallel? Was this article just spectacularly ill-informed? Would it all have become clear if my Chinese was better?

+ Post Reply