Dragonwell, a Chinese Darjeeling?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dragonwell, a Chinese Darjeeling?

Postby Salsero » Dec 22nd, '06, 02:22

One of the reviewers of Adagio's Dragonwell identifies a taste of "roasted cashews," another mentions the taste of melon. I find both observations compelling and they contribute to my enjoyment of Dragonwell. But . . .

as a person who gravitates more naturally to black teas than green and who doesn't have much confidence in my own sense of smell or taste, I was wondering: does anyone else feel that Dragonwell tastes and smells very much like a light bodied, fragrant Darjeeling? This seems impossible given the appearance of the leaves and liquor of Dragonwell. Is it just my black tea expectations tricking me? I don't find this true of other greens and oolongs I've tried.
Salsero

Re: Dragonwell, a Chinese Darjeeling?

Postby Chip » Dec 22nd, '06, 02:35

Salsero wrote:One of the reviewers of Adagio's Dragonwell identifies a taste of "roasted cashews," another mentions the taste of melon. I find both observations compelling and they contribute to my enjoyment of Dragonwell. But . . .

as a person who gravitates more naturally to black teas than green and who doesn't have much confidence in my own sense of smell or taste, I was wondering: does anyone else feel that Dragonwell tastes and smells very much like a light bodied, fragrant Darjeeling? This seems impossible given the appearance of the leaves and liquor of Dragonwell. Is it just my black tea expectations tricking me? I don't find this true of other greens and oolongs I've tried.

I truly enjoy both fine Darjeeling black (and green Darjeeling too actually) and Long Jing. I find no similarities between the two.

The former is fruity/flowery/astringent and the latter is nutty/nonastringent.

Perhaps the grades I am drinking contribute to my observations. Actually, I select Darjeelings that have a nice fruity or flowery character.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Instant Messenger

Permissions