Decaffeination

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 18th, '07, 21:50

No kidding, tea is not a medicine

by jrmurch » Oct 18th, '07, 21:50

Whoa, hey everyone. We most definitely do not use Tea as the only medication for his allergies and asthma. He is on a whole host of medications as well as dust covers air purifiers and a nebulizer to keep him alive. We ONLY use the green tea to help. We give him the tea at night because the warm liquid at night helps calm him down. And the benefits of the tea can't hurt either. In the span of a year since he began drinking the tea he has not been in the hospital once and he has made it through three different colds without any major incidents. Maybe it is just a coincidece but I'll try anything to help him out.

Oct 18th, '07, 22:32

by bambooforest » Oct 18th, '07, 22:32

I have to wonder if there are other sources which would conflict with this finding... One finding isn't enough for me, especially in the world of tea, to be truly convinced. Nevertheless, it does raise questions.

Oct 19th, '07, 02:04
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: No kidding, tea is not a medicine

by ABx » Oct 19th, '07, 02:04

jrmurch wrote:Whoa, hey everyone. We most definitely do not use Tea as the only medication for his allergies and asthma. He is on a whole host of medications as well as dust covers air purifiers and a nubulizer to keep him alive. We ONLY use the green tea to help. We give him the tea at night because the warm liquid at night helps calm him down. And the benefits of the tea can't hurt either. In the span of a year since he began drinking the tea he has not been in the hospital once and he has made it through three different colds without any major incidents. Maybe it is just a coincidece but I'll try anything to help him out.
Looking back, my warning on the subject of herbal remedies was a bit harsher than I intended. Unfortunately I've seen too many people try herbals and supplements based on some antecdote or the word of someone with no medical training, and I've heard too many reports of people getting hurt by it. As far as the others, all of us here have, unfortunately, seen too many people think of tea as some kind of magic potion to replace things like medicines and/or exercise and eating right (for weight loss). So you'll have to forgive us if we press the issue a bit more than what's really warranted.

Overall I think tea is a good thing, I rather wish my parents had given me real tea when I was growing up. The benefits are so many, and I would have surely been more open to it when I needed it the most later on in life. So take it from me - introduce him the good stuff, particularly at this time when he can develop good positive associations with it, such as comfort and feeling well.

One recommendation I can make is Upton Tea's Formosa Pouchong (aka bao zhong). It's not terribly expensive, but it's great stuff. It may not be the best quality, but it is pretty well up there. It's nice and thick, sweet, and floral, and doesn't even really need any sugar to taste sweet. While bao zhong is often categorized as an oolong, it's actually in it's own category that is in between green tea and oolong, and has the best of both. Just remember to use more leaf than you normally would; it takes up extra space, so one teaspoon is about half the amount of 1 teaspoon of another tea. If you measure by teaspoons, then you'd want to use about 3 tsp of bao zhong.

Oct 20th, '07, 00:48
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Re: No kidding, tea is not a medicine

by skywarrior » Oct 20th, '07, 00:48

amanojakumo wrote: Yeah, like ABx said, I don't think anyone meant to jump down your throat. When you hang on these tea forums for a while, you see alot of people posting questions about tea like it's the new "cure all." It's a tasty beverage, it's got some antioxidants, it may have some other added health benefits, but some people seem to genuinely believe it's going to solve their health problems.
Well, when you assume... :wink:

Seriously, I had not gotten that impression, which is why I didn't get uptight about it. I was really surprised at the tone taken, especially because this seems to be a friendly chat board. I agree using tea or herbs instead of a doctor isn't a good idea, but that isn't what they were saying they were doing.

Oct 20th, '07, 08:47

by Mary R » Oct 20th, '07, 08:47

Okay, everyone...let's have a big, mooshy TeaChat group hug and put the whole misunderstanding behind us. :D

Oct 20th, '07, 13:47

by Wesli » Oct 20th, '07, 13:47

Glad I didn't get involved with this one.

"Hugs for Sencha."

Oct 20th, '07, 22:44

Thanks everyone

by jrmurch » Oct 20th, '07, 22:44

Ok I am glad that we got all the other stuff out of the way!!. Thanks for all the great info on decaffination. I think what I might do is let it soak for a couple of minutes vs the thirty seconds that I am now doing. At least I can get a little more out. Thanks again and I am sure that I will be back with more questions. 8)

Oct 21st, '07, 00:17
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Oct 21st, '07, 00:17

Mary R wrote:Okay, everyone...let's have a big, mooshy TeaChat group hug and put the whole misunderstanding behind us. :D
Group hug! :roll:

+ Post Reply