Fancy man enjoys tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 12th, '07, 16:23

by Michael_C » Nov 12th, '07, 16:23

I told Yuki that some Americans consider tea drinking fancy.

Here's how it went:

M: "So, some Americans think tea drinking is fancy."

Y: "What do you mean, the tea ceremony?"

M: "No, just drinking tea."

Y: "Oh, so a handmade tea then, someone who only drinks tea made by teamasters..."

M: "No, just tea. Like Lipton, or Twinings. Teabags."

Y: "But that's garbage. What do you mean 'fancy'? Why did you use that word?"

M: "Because that's what some Americans think - I just learned about it. It's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, I just wanted your take on it."

Y: "People think drinking Lipton tea is fancy?"

M: "Probably they think a can of Dinty Moore is fancy, too."

Y: "What's Dinty Moore?"

M: "Cheap canned stew."

Y: "You live in a very strange country."

M: "You don't have to tell me, mongol sister."

Y: "Did you just call me 'mongol sister'?"

And again, I was grocery shopping last night, and passed by the coffee and tea isle... all they sold was teabags, Lipton, Twinings, Celestial Seasonigs... and I thought, "who in their right mind thinks this junk is 'fancy'?" I laughed out loud at the absurdity of it. Like eating a Snickers bar and someone chiding you for being 'fancy'. Sheesh. What a country.

Nov 12th, '07, 17:25

by bambooforest » Nov 12th, '07, 17:25

Simply put, we don't live in a tea culture. Our society is largely tea ignorant.

As James Norwood Pratt points out, we live in a tea ignorant society but we do have knowledge of wine... It's merely the culture...

Unfortunately, as James Norwood Pratt points out, tea bags have deceived people as being the norm, and loose tea as being somehow fancy...

Hogwash, loose tea is the norm, tea bags are the aberration!

It's really kind of silly when you think of it. If you're making loose tea all of a sudden you're being fancy, and in a worst case scenario, snooty... The irony.

Nov 12th, '07, 17:49

by Space Samurai » Nov 12th, '07, 17:49

Perhaps I too am taking offense where none has been given, if so, then yes, I am another oversensitive tea drinker. But I feel that Americans have been--attacked maybe too stong, but its the first word that comes to mind--for their ignorance about tea.

Having to sell inferior tea every day, I am probably more frustrated then most about our country's attitued towards tea, nonetheless, I feel the tone I get from Michael is unfair and unnecesarily negative.

America didn't evolve as a tea-drinking nation, so people don't understand. I imagine there are many things the Japanese wouldn't understand about our culture. Is it right to look down on them for that?

I don't much care for our culture, and one of things I don't like is how we do tend to sneer at others, but I wont have another culture sneering at mine, either.

Nov 12th, '07, 18:02

by Michael_C » Nov 12th, '07, 18:02

It's not about non-understanding. It's about mocking what you don't understand. Ignorance is not the issue.

I didn't mean to offend you, spacesamurai. I'm certain Yuki didn't either.

Nov 13th, '07, 15:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Nov 13th, '07, 15:59

twistedinside wrote:Perhaps tea drinking in a man is a sign of heightened sensuality. The ability to appreciate the delicate and subtle nuances of life in general.

This, to me, is an excellent quality in a man. Perhaps TEAmen make better lovers?

Methinks I must do some research on this hypothesis.
Synchronicity rears it's head:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=3402

+ Post Reply