Help making a green tea like Starbucks

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 20th, '08, 23:40

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jan 20th, '08, 23:40

skywarrior wrote:
I thought they used Tazo -- am I wrong on this? :?
You are correct. I looked it up and google found that Starbucks does sell Tazo China Green Tip Filterbags. Looking down a few paragraphs there gave me this: "Ingredients: Spring-harvested green teas from China." So I am guessing that is what you get to look for. I still haven't tested all the green teas here and I haven't tried that tea in a while, so I wouldn't know quite what to suggest beyond trying to different Chinese greens if you are looking for a loose tea similar to it. If you simply want to brew the bags, look at temperature and brewing time.

(Link: http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/ ... SKU=623097 )

Jan 20th, '08, 23:41

by Toomes » Jan 20th, '08, 23:41

joelbct wrote:Not to mention, it's better for the soul... just the act of stopping for a minute and paying attention long enough to brew some leaf into a beverage properly each day would do wonders for society...
Word.

Too bad that isn't going to happen. Ever.

Jan 20th, '08, 23:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 20th, '08, 23:59

Starbucks owns the Tazo brand– IIRC they bought it from the guy who then went on to create the Stash brand.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jan 21st, '08, 01:14
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Jan 21st, '08, 01:14

Scruff McGruff wrote:Starbucks owns the Tazo brand– IIRC they bought it from the guy who then went on to create the Stash brand.
Is that right? I remember drinking Stash ages ago. I don't remember Tazo -- or Starbucks at that time. :?

Jan 21st, '08, 01:17

by skywarrior » Jan 21st, '08, 01:17

[quote="joelbct"]
And while we're on the subject, if only we could get the masses drinking tea instead of coffee and soda, think how much drastically lower our health insurance premiums would be?

/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I dislike coffee. But I have heard that coffee has some health benefits. Not as much as tea, certainly, but I've heard it can be healthy.

Jan 21st, '08, 01:38

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 21st, '08, 01:38

skywarrior wrote:
Scruff McGruff wrote:Starbucks owns the Tazo brand– IIRC they bought it from the guy who then went on to create the Stash brand.
Is that right? I remember drinking Stash ages ago. I don't remember Tazo -- or Starbucks at that time. :?
My mistake, it's the other way around (Stash first, then Tazo). Starbucks does own Tazo, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tazo
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jan 21st, '08, 17:16

by joelbct » Jan 21st, '08, 17:16

skywarrior wrote: Don't get me wrong, I dislike coffee. But I have heard that coffee has some health benefits. Not as much as tea, certainly, but I've heard it can be healthy.
You know, I suspect that coffee does indeed have some health benefits- As a plant and a bean, it probably has some phytonutrients. Not, probably, anywhere near the level of tea's well-documented power as an antioxidant and all-around super-food.

On the whole, though, I meant "coffee" in the sense of coffee (usually doused in cream and sugar) and soda, both crucial elements of the horror that is known as "The Standard American Diet."

I myself actually take a cup of coffee (freshly ground) every once in a while- I am fond of a few local roasters from New York- Irving Farms in Westchester and Dallis Roasters in Brooklyn. And Peet's has some decent stuff. My mom used to take me to Peet's in Berkeley, CA when I was a toddler. Anyway, I digress...

Jan 21st, '08, 21:09

by augie » Jan 21st, '08, 21:09

joelbct wrote:And while we're on the subject, if only we could get the masses drinking tea instead of coffee and soda, think how much drastically lower our health insurance premiums would be?

Not to mention, it's better for the soul... just the act of stopping for a minute and paying attention long enough to brew some leaf into a beverage properly each day would do wonders for society...
Road rage just wouldn't be the same jacked up on a Venti Tazo China Green Tips!

Jan 22nd, '08, 01:56

by skywarrior » Jan 22nd, '08, 01:56

augie wrote: Road rage just wouldn't be the same jacked up on a Venti Tazo China Green Tips!
I don't know. With the talk of adding Mate to tea, it just might. :shock:

Feb 4th, '08, 02:32

by Pentox » Feb 4th, '08, 02:32

Although it isn't the proper way of brewing green tea, I would suggest trying to replicate the tea the same way that Starbucks does when they make tea. The water they use is nearly boiling, as brewing china green tips is probably one of a very small list of things that starbucks serves that should be served at a lower temperature than that. But yeah, as odd as it does sound, overtemp and probably oversteep as well.

Feb 5th, '08, 20:25

by Chip » Feb 5th, '08, 20:25

...hmmm, everytime I see this thread, I for some reason think of that smokin' grean tee thread...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 6th, '08, 01:50

by skywarrior » Feb 6th, '08, 01:50

Chip wrote:...hmmm, everytime I see this thread, I for some reason think of that smokin' grean tee thread...
Did you just mangle that to avoid the wrath of Mary? :lol:

Feb 6th, '08, 02:11

by Chip » Feb 6th, '08, 02:11

Her wrath brings more than fear to those who know her true power...it is fortunate for all TeaChatters that she has chosen to use her powers for good, to defeat all evil spam, and to eliminate senseless googling results leading to TeaChat for smokin' grean tee. 8)

Woe to any who cross the line, even accidentally.

Feb 6th, '08, 09:41

by Mary R » Feb 6th, '08, 09:41

Heh...I'm not as ruthless as all that. I saw the post when it was spelled correctly. What did I do? I sighed, poured another cup of Zen and moved on. :P

Feb 6th, '08, 10:50

by joelbct » Feb 6th, '08, 10:50

Hey, I hear Starbucks makes a smokin' cup of grean tee!

+ Post Reply