Where should I start with matcha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 3rd, '08, 14:39

Where should I start with matcha?

by Ladytiger » Feb 3rd, '08, 14:39

I've been hearing a lot about matcha all over the forum and it's increasing my curiousity about it, but where do I begin? Where's the best place to get beginners gear for it?

Feb 3rd, '08, 15:35

by Eastree » Feb 3rd, '08, 15:35

Ippodo has a nicely priced starter set. When i have my first matcha, that's where I'm starting.

Feb 3rd, '08, 15:48

by Space Samurai » Feb 3rd, '08, 15:48

I agree Ippodo has a great starter kit, its the cheapest I've seen, and the company is Japanese, so there are better odds that the matcha that comes with it isn't crap.

In Pursuit of Tea has a variety of starter kits as well, you get a little more say over what chawan you want. And O-cha has a build-your-own starter kit.

Now, if you wondering where to get matcha: Assuming you want to get to the good stuff first, O-cha has the best matcha I've tried so far. Even the bottom rung kiri no mori is better than a lot of other, more expensive matcha I've tried.

I'm still learning, so other than that my advice is to a) avoid Rishi's matcha like the plague and b) stick to Japanese companies, at least in the beginning, cos you have a better chance of getting fresher product.

Hope that helps. :D

Feb 3rd, '08, 20:45

by Ladytiger » Feb 3rd, '08, 20:45

Yay! Thanks a bunch! The Ippodo kit is very doable, about $50 isn't bad for the kit including shipping from Japan.

Feb 3rd, '08, 20:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Feb 3rd, '08, 20:50

Holy cripes, the whole world is turning to matcha! Who will fall next? Will it be ... me?

Feb 4th, '08, 22:16

by joelbct » Feb 4th, '08, 22:16

This stuff will knock your socks off, and its just 22.95/cannister, plus the shipping gets to US from Japan in 3-4 business days, and costs just $6:

Organic Kaoru Matcha

I've tried a few other varieties and another vendor, and this is my fave so far.

Don't even worry about the bowl and whisk for your first cannister. After the first cannister, you will want them anyway, but it's not absolutely necessary, provided you have some sort of small metal whisk.

Feb 11th, '08, 20:16

by RussianSoul » Feb 11th, '08, 20:16

I am very curious about matcha as well.

Where can I find some instructions on leaf/water ratio, brewing temperature and time?

Feb 11th, '08, 20:50

by inspectoring » Feb 11th, '08, 20:50

I would recommend that you buy the cheap ones - the one you find in mitsua or some other japanese grocery store. Hear me out...hear me out i said !!

You will not spend a lot of money - probably 5-6 $ for the cheap old stale tea. This iwll be your benchmark. You will most likely not like that tea. THEN - go ahead and buy one of the teas recommended by these guys here. You will learn a lot that way. I have tried almost over 100 teas (really - I am obsessed with trying out new things) - and that is the way I started. You work your way up from the cheapest and you stop when you find the one that would satisfy your taste buds.

Just my 2 cents..

Feb 11th, '08, 20:52

by Victoria » Feb 11th, '08, 20:52

Salsero wrote:Holy cripes, the whole world is turning to matcha! Who will fall next? Will it be ... me?
No, I think it will be me!! hehe
I placed my O-Cha order last night!
Can't wait!

Feb 11th, '08, 21:24

by Salsero » Feb 11th, '08, 21:24

inspectoring wrote:I would recommend that you buy the cheap ones ... This will be your benchmark.
I like the way you think, inspectoring! I hope we hear a lot more from you.
Victoria's Own wrote:No, I think it will be me!! hehe
I placed my O-Cha order last night!
Can't wait!
Well, I'm troubled in my mind and I need matcha to ease my pain.
Vic, you drive a hard bargain. These high pressure sales techniques of yours may be irresistible. What wares did you opt for?

Feb 11th, '08, 21:55

by Victoria » Feb 11th, '08, 21:55

Salsero wrote: Well, I'm troubled in my mind and I need matcha to ease my pain.
Vic, you drive a hard bargain. These high pressure sales techniques of yours may be irresistible. What wares did you opt for?
Well Sal, sensing the Matcha trend, I say you better jump! I decided if I was going to do it, I would do it right, I bought the Uji Matcha Manten. Since I also wanted to try a thin Matcha I followed O-Cha's Forum recommendation for the Organic Matcha Kaoru. I decided to go with the supreme there too, at that point what's a few more bucks?

Feb 11th, '08, 22:14

by Ed » Feb 11th, '08, 22:14

I already spend enough on sencha and fukamushi... plz don't get me hooked on matcha! :cry:

Feb 11th, '08, 22:16

by Salsero » Feb 11th, '08, 22:16

As interesting as your tea choice is, I meant what equipment did you go for. That's the scariest part for me.

Feb 11th, '08, 22:17

by Victoria » Feb 11th, '08, 22:17

Ed wrote:I already spend enough on sencha and fukamushi... plz don't get me hooked on matcha! :cry:
Awww Ed, come on, join us!! You know you want to!

Feb 11th, '08, 22:36

by Victoria » Feb 11th, '08, 22:36

Salsero wrote:As interesting as your tea choice is, I meant what equipment did you go for. That's the scariest part for me.
Oh sorry, I thought that might have been what you meant. Well I was good - and I was bad. Looking around at the needed tools and the prices, I opted for eBay for a better quality Japanese Chasen at a much better price and I also found a matcha spoon. Then the bad – my matcha bowl. I might just keep my bowl under wraps until I make my first batch. Then take a picture. Let's just say it's unconventional and more in keeping with my style than traditional Japanese.

+ Post Reply