sweet teas?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 22nd, '05, 15:49

sweet teas?

by jimmy339 » Sep 22nd, '05, 15:49

I'm looking for a tea that is sweet whereas I don't have to add as much sugar. Any recommendations? Preferably green or white tea since I read that it has the best antioxidants.

Sep 23rd, '05, 00:23

by PeteVu » Sep 23rd, '05, 00:23

i find that whites like song yang and silver needle are the most sweet, although no tea will ever be as sweet as the most bitter tea with a teaspoon of sugar. you will be fairly dissapointed if you expect anything more than a subtle sweetness. most newbie tea drinkers dont start on white teas either. White tea, for the most part, is near the top of the ladder.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Oct 19th, '05, 15:52

by Daniel S » Oct 19th, '05, 15:52

Obviously not 'tea', but Rooibos is somewhat sweet on its own.

Oct 23rd, '05, 01:51

Re: sweet teas?

by Ric » Oct 23rd, '05, 01:51

jimmy339 wrote:I'm looking for a tea that is sweet whereas I don't have to add as much sugar. Any recommendations? Preferably green or white tea since I read that it has the best antioxidants.
When I was young all I could drink was sweetened teas, and growing up in the south did not help matters much too!

When I was introduced to premium loose tea I found that sweeteners destroyed the taste of tea.

My suggestion is to start off with some Darjeeling teas and drink it both hot and iced, and you will grow to love tea brewed by it's self.

Today if I drink a tea that is sweetened I get sick (no joke!).
In God's Grace,
Ric

Feb 13th, '06, 22:21

by Warden Andy » Feb 13th, '06, 22:21

Most of the green teas, and all the white teas I've tried are sweet without sugar. Even some low quality bulk tea, and Temple of Heaven pearl tea I pulled out of teabags are fairly sweet. Although even the sweetest green tea can become bitter if brewed wrong. http://chineseteas101.com/brewingmethod.htm Gaiwan brewing is supposed to be the best for green tea.

By the way, it's worth getting used to tea without sugar. It just makes the experience so much better, especially for green, white, and oolong teas. You'll probably be surprised by what you've been missing by putting sugar in tea. Although it may take some time to get used to it without sugar before noticing those subtle differences.

Feb 13th, '06, 23:24

by d313rium » Feb 13th, '06, 23:24

Harney and Sons has a tea called cinamon sunset or something similar. While it's a black tea, the sweet cloves (something I've been trying like mad to find just for cooking) make it seem like there's sugar in it, and my roomate has said it's too sweet for her.

Feb 14th, '06, 08:19

by garden gal » Feb 14th, '06, 08:19

I don't know if you're trying to be a purist and go for the no flavor thing here but the green cocomint with flavored chocolate tea is great as is. Also the vanilllas and carmels add such warm sweet fullness to drinks that I add them in to many of the others.

Feb 14th, '06, 12:27

by Joe » Feb 14th, '06, 12:27

I've found that the sweetest unflavored teas from adagio, are probably song yang (sort of like a licorice sweetness), green anji (a somewhat vegetal sweetness), and jasmine sweet #12 (flowery and sweet) in their respective catagories of white, green, and oolong. However, like previous posters said, it won't be sweet like sugar, it's a more suttle sweetness, that i find to be much better than tea (or anything) with sugar or flavored tea.

Feb 14th, '06, 13:01

by garden gal » Feb 14th, '06, 13:01

How could I forget about the jasmine? I love those pearls- I can never decide if I want to drink it, do aromatherapy with it or bathe in it with candles on. You're right, it's a wonderfully sweet tea.

Feb 14th, '06, 14:50

by rhpot1991 » Feb 14th, '06, 14:50

I would guess citron green or any of the fruit white teas would be a good fit. The fruit flavor should give some sweetening taste to the teas.

-John

Feb 14th, '06, 20:09

by Ric » Feb 14th, '06, 20:09

Andy wrote:Most of the green teas, and all the white teas I've tried are sweet without sugar. Even some low quality bulk tea, and Temple of Heaven pearl tea I pulled out of teabags are fairly sweet. Although even the sweetest green tea can become bitter if brewed wrong. http://chineseteas101.com/brewingmethod.htm Gaiwan brewing is supposed to be the best for green tea.

By the way, it's worth getting used to tea without sugar. It just makes the experience so much better, especially for green, white, and oolong teas. You'll probably be surprised by what you've been missing by putting sugar in tea. Although it may take some time to get used to it without sugar before noticing those subtle differences.
Great post Andy!
In God's Grace,
Ric

+ Post Reply