Help...new to tea and don't really like it!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 5th, '08, 01:32

by osadczuk » Apr 5th, '08, 01:32

Okay, I have to ask...

If you don't like tea why drink it? If you want to avoid Diet coke you could just move on to water...

I'm a big fan of the "drink what you like" philosophy.

Apr 5th, '08, 10:03

by Ed » Apr 5th, '08, 10:03

Drinking tea makes you kool 8)

Apr 5th, '08, 18:58

by cherylromig » Apr 5th, '08, 18:58

Green tea has some health benefits!

Apr 5th, '08, 19:34

by Pentox » Apr 5th, '08, 19:34

cherylromig wrote:Green tea has some health benefits!
Depending on who you ask, some people say that the health benefits are universal to all forms of tea. Depending on the benefit it is possibly true or false. Certain teas retain or lose properties because of the form of processing. But remember that all tea is derived from the same plant. A lot of the publicity for green tea occurs because green tea has a good deal of funding behind it. For instance if research comes out of Japan they are most likely only testing their own teas to promote themselves.

If you don't like green tea, unless you know what you are after is only found in green tea, try something else. You might like it better.

Apr 5th, '08, 20:40

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Apr 5th, '08, 20:40

Not to mention that to get any health benefits from green or any kind of tea, you have to drink a lot of it every day. Some of these Asian studies on green tea and cancer are based on people who drink 10+ cups of tea a day.

Basically, drink it if you like it. The health benefits are a nice, little side effect.

Apr 6th, '08, 03:05

by motokochan » Apr 6th, '08, 03:05

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Some of these Asian studies on green tea and cancer are based on people who drink 10+ cups of tea a day.
In a few of the synopses I have read, the cups are closer to 180ml, which makes it a bit easier to determine how 10 cups is being counted. Certainly, I don't think I could manage 10 fillings of my 14oz mug.
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Basically, drink it if you like it. The health benefits are a nice, little side effect.
Agreed!

Apr 6th, '08, 03:36

by osadczuk » Apr 6th, '08, 03:36

cherylromig wrote:Green tea has some health benefits!
Maybe, but if you don't like it I guarantee you won't stick with it. Unless you have that masochist/martyr thing going :oops:

I would try some flavored and some blacks (tends to be easier on a western palette.) If you don't find something you like, I would move on. I can't see forcing m yself to drink 61 oz of liquid a day for possible health benefits.

Is tea better then Diet Coke? You betcha. But ot's not a magic bullet. If it's not your thing just go with good old H2O. No negative health reprocussions at all!

Apr 6th, '08, 11:16

by Sam. » Apr 6th, '08, 11:16

Sadly, no magic bullet exists for anything. Everyone here drinks tea because they enjoy it; the extra helping of antioxidants is simply a plus.

Apr 7th, '08, 15:28

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND INFO!

by cherylromig » Apr 7th, '08, 15:28

I have enjoyed hearing all the tea advice....I had no idea there were so many teas!

Cheryl

Apr 7th, '08, 16:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 7th, '08, 16:05

Cheryl, I hope you find tea that you not only like but love and fully enjoy. Part of the enjoyment of tea for me has always been the desire to enjoy tea...a difficult concept to grasp.

I was discussing this just the other day...and it is not til now that I think I understand this fully. I truly desire to enjoy tea, so not only do I like the taste of tea...I ENJOY tea...

Apr 17th, '08, 13:15

by joelbct » Apr 17th, '08, 13:15

For starting the day, as suggested, loose leaf black tea might be best as a transition from Coke. I like a good Assam, Keemun, or Yunnan Gold in the morning.

For greens, perhaps a Dragon Well (Long Jing) would be a good place to start, and try white tea as well, Silver Needles (Yin Zhen).

Tea appreciation is like a muscle, you develop it over time and your taste becomes ever more complex and satisfying, and luckily there is a huge variety out there- It would take a lifetime to explore all the tea's in the world....

Apr 17th, '08, 15:13

by chamekke » Apr 17th, '08, 15:13

I agree with the earlier poster who said that brewing temperature is everything.

When I don't enjoy one of my Japanese green teas, it's invariably because I got careless and added the water while it was still too hot. That makes it bitter - which it should never be.

Which reminds me... must obtain a tea thermometer somewhere. Sometimes I use a yusamashi, but this is hardly very scientific (plus I keep poking my finger in to test the temperature, which may not be totally hygienic either :wink: ).

Once I have a tea thermometer, I will start thinking about where to buy some gyokuro. I've been dying to give that a try!

Apr 17th, '08, 15:38

by olivierco » Apr 17th, '08, 15:38

chamekke wrote: Once I have a tea thermometer, I will start thinking about where to buy some gyokuro. I've been dying to give that a try!
Uji Gyokuro Kame-Giru-Shi (o-cha)

Apr 17th, '08, 21:50

by joelbct » Apr 17th, '08, 21:50

LefTeas wrote:Steep the tea longer and shorter to see if you like it mild or bold.
Not to nitpick, but from what I have read, most tea experts suggest keeping the steeping time within a relatively set range (2-4/5 min for black, 1-3 for green, etc), and instead varying the amount of leaf if you want your tea to be milder or bolder. That is, don't steep black tea for 10 minutes if you want it bolder, instead just use more leaf...

+ Post Reply