What Shincha Should I Order from Den's?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

What Shincha Should I Order from Den's?

Postby TimeforTea » May 15th, '08, 11:28

I'd like to place an order from Den's but am still too new to tea to decide what to get. Any suggestions as to how to decide?

User avatar TimeforTea

Postby chamekke » May 15th, '08, 12:14

I'm still awaiting my first order from Den's, so I can't recommend specific teas from personal experience yet. BUT...

If you're placing your first order, do get the "Green Tea Kit" (sampler):
http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=174_173

It's only available to first-time customers - and it's a real deal!

User avatar chamekke
Contact chamekke:

Re: What Shincha Should I Order from Den's?

Postby olivierco » May 15th, '08, 12:17

Teasweetie wrote:I'd like to place an order from Den's but am still too new to tea to decide what to get. Any suggestions as to how to decide?

If you want specifically a shincha, I guess the Kunpu (light steamed) is a good start. Light steamed sencha or shincha are easier to brew.
But I haven't tasted it.

User avatar olivierco

Postby Pentox » May 15th, '08, 13:03

I ordered all 3!

User avatar Pentox
Contact Pentox:

Postby bambooforest » May 15th, '08, 14:10

The Kunpu is *very* mild -- and demands a lot of leaf to get a nice tasting cup. I actually find that Fukamushi-cha is easier to brew.

I only had two sessions of the kunpu - but it seems pretty darn good.

User avatar bambooforest

Postby Chip » May 15th, '08, 14:24

I have never been disappointed by their mid to high range sencha and fukamushi. Their guricha is quite good as well.

They are a good vendor, but since all their teas are from Shizuoka I need to go beyond them for variety.

They do not nitro flush which is a slight down side for me. Smaller bags are a plus.

My current trio of Japanese based vendors are O-Cha, Hibiki, and Den's. They are all very good.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Scrolling: scrolling

Postby bambooforest » May 15th, '08, 15:15

I think it's particularly wonderful that Den's sells in 56 gram bags. It's a nice change of pace. And, even though they don't nitro flush, there is an oxygen absorber in the bag which is suppose to be very effective.

If I have a bag of Den's in the fridge unopened, I think it would stay fresh for a long time to come.

User avatar bambooforest

Postby olivierco » May 15th, '08, 15:39

bambooforest wrote:The Kunpu is *very* mild -- and demands a lot of leaf to get a nice tasting cup. I actually find that Fukamushi-cha is easier to brew.

That is precisely the reason why I find light steamed sencha easier to brew: quantity of leaves isn't critical (as long as you use enough of them and I sure use much (too much?) leaves) and as long as you watch temperature, you won't get any bitterness.

Perhaps my opinion comes from my sencha debuts when I struggled a little to obtain good results with deep steamed sencha.

User avatar olivierco

Postby Chip » May 15th, '08, 15:45

olivierco wrote:
bambooforest wrote:The Kunpu is *very* mild -- and demands a lot of leaf to get a nice tasting cup. I actually find that Fukamushi-cha is easier to brew.

That is precisely the reason why I find light steamed sencha easier to brew: quantity of leaves isn't critical (as long as you use enough of them and I sure use much (too much?) leaves) and as long as you watch temperature, you won't get any bitterness.

Perhaps my opinion comes from my sencha debuts when I struggled a little to obtain good results with deep steamed sencha.

I tend to follow Olivier's thinking...asamushicha is easier for me to brew often times since I can use varying amounts of leaf and get a nice session out of it.

Fukamushicha can be less forgiving, but when it is good, it is sooo good.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Scrolling: scrolling

Postby bambooforest » May 15th, '08, 16:33

Both Olivierco and Chip make a valid point. Indeed, if you use too much fuka it can make a sub par pot of tea. I think too much light steamed can too, but not to the same extent.

User avatar bambooforest

Postby TimeforTea » May 15th, '08, 23:23

Thanks for all the tips! :D

User avatar TimeforTea

Postby greenisgood » May 15th, '08, 23:23

I agree with bambooforest on the freshness of Den's, I've had a few bags of Maki in the fridge for a while now and recently got one out after a few months and it was still very fresh tasting. I haven't had the O-Cha Supreme but Maki is darn good fuka.

User avatar greenisgood

Today's Poll

Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest