Help a newbie out! Sencha/Shincha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 21st, '08, 18:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 21st, '08, 18:29

RussianSoul wrote:Sarah,

Consider brewing it less strong. I usually start a new sencha with

1g per 2oz (~60ml), 170°F F, 1min.

So it will be (say) 3g per 6oz (~180ml).

This is a leaf/water ratio that is a lot lower than what you tried and nearly always gets it just right for me - sweet and vegetal and round. I may adjust temp and/or time later, but only a little. The 1g per 2oz ratio has not let me down. It may seem weak to our macho green heads here, but it works for me, and you can always up it by a little (a keyword here) later.
I yield to the voice of reason. I forgot that I have slowly increased my Gr/Ounce ratio over time. My first intro to decent sencha was actually English style...even a lower ratio than Russian Soul recommended...2.3 gr per 6 ounces....but a slightly longer time. Like "smack," over time the user needs more for the same "high."

My current ratio is 4.25-5.5/6.8 ounces (200ml). That would have turned me off when I started trying Japanese greens. Our resident Frenchman goes higher yet!

Jun 21st, '08, 18:50

by kymidwife » Jun 21st, '08, 18:50

So, that 2nd infusion got so bitter halfway through the cup, I couldn't finish it. :cry:

I just tried a 3rd... 165, started my pour at 75 seconds. So, its still bitter, not terrible but about like the 2nd... and this time very astringent, puckery, and not very buttery or vegetal.

I will try the lower leaf-to-water ratio next, as I think this batch of leaf is ready for the compost pile. After dinner, we'll start fresh and try again.

Thanks again Chip and RS.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 21st, '08, 19:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 21st, '08, 19:01

SHORTER 2ND AND 3RD STEEPS!!!!!

20-30 SECONDS AND THEN 40-60 SECONDS...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 21st, '08, 19:39

by kymidwife » Jun 21st, '08, 19:39

Oooops... i knew #2 was super short, but i misread for the 3rd. I have a Masters Degree, I really shouldn't be having this much trouble catching on. LOL
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 21st, '08, 22:29

by joelbct » Jun 21st, '08, 22:29

I don't weigh my tea, but for Sencha/Shincha I use 1.5 or 2 teaspoons per 12 ounces of water, at 175 degrees. 1.5-2 minute first brews, 2-2.5 minute second brew. I usually do not perform a third brew.

I don't like my Sencha especially strong/bitter either. These above parameters should work well for you, if you are using a good tea. With mediocre tea, it really doesn't matter how you brew it.

And yes, lousy Japanese tea is lousy. My first Sencha I bought from a Western tea company, and I didn't try a Sencha again for 2 years. But after I found the good stuff, I fell in love. Good Japanese tea is sublime, particularly after one cultivates a taste for it.

It's been said before, but for Japanese tea, buy from the source:

https://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/shop/en/

http://www.itoen.com/estore/index.cfm

http://www.o-cha.com/home.php

http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp/english/top.html

http://www.maiko.ne.jp/english/index.html

Jun 21st, '08, 23:22

by kymidwife » Jun 21st, '08, 23:22

OK, I'm still playing with this stuff. I have a 1st infusion in my cup now that is actually enjoyable... maybe I am just getting used to it! This brew was 3gm in 200ml... 160F... started the pour at 65 seconds. Its the first time I've gonna a first infusion that wasn't significantly bitter. Very nice buttery vegetal taste and aroma, slight astringency, a tiny hint of sweetness finally.

I know I should just buy the good stuff... but I'll be honest and say my experience with greens is such that I'm reluctant to make a big purchase of the good stuff, only to potentially discover that I don't care for it. I want to know I love it... and I was hoping I'd get lucky and stumble upon an unexpected gem, as I hear happens to people from time to time.

This last infusion is good enough to indicate that I might really like the *good* stuff. Now I'm wondering... does all sencha/shincha get more bitter as it cools in the cup? Maybe I need to make smaller cups... this one is starting to get bitter, halfway through. I guess I am too slow on my sipping.

Sarah

Jun 22nd, '08, 02:54

by olivierco » Jun 22nd, '08, 02:54

Chip wrote: My current ratio is 4.25-5.5/6.8 ounces (200ml). That would have turned me off when I started trying Japanese greens. Our resident Frenchman goes higher yet!
I go with 1g/oz, sometimes much but with shorter steeping times.
RussianSoul wrote: The 1g per 2oz ratio has not let me down. It may seem weak to our macho green heads here, but it works for me, and you can always up it by a little (a keyword here) later.
It depends on the sencha. For light steamed sencha (asamuchi) you can use more leaves, or longer steeping times without getting bitterness, in contrary to deep steamed sencha (fukamushi)

For instance, Ippodo gave the following brewing instruction for their 2008 shincha 7g/5oz 30s and it worked fine for me.

Jun 22nd, '08, 10:46

by kymidwife » Jun 22nd, '08, 10:46

OK, I'm getting better at this... this morning's 2nd infusion of the shincha was quite palatable, not bitter. I went down to 150 for 15 seconds... it was nice.

Sarah

Jun 22nd, '08, 11:34

by auggy » Jun 22nd, '08, 11:34

kymidwife wrote:This last infusion is good enough to indicate that I might really like the *good* stuff. Now I'm wondering... does all sencha/shincha get more bitter as it cools in the cup? Maybe I need to make smaller cups... this one is starting to get bitter, halfway through. I guess I am too slow on my sipping.

Sarah
In my experience, this is true. I believe it is because the tea continues to brew as it is in the cup and oversteeping leads to bitterness, so... For me personally, it works best if I make 6oz per serving (I brew in a 13 oz pot and make myself and DH a cup). Sometimes I'll make myself a 9 or 10oz cup, but have to drink it just a little faster.

+ Post Reply