Houjicha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 27th, '08, 04:15

Houjicha

by Ritva » Jun 27th, '08, 04:15

Sometimes I'd like to drink tea late at night but I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine. I guess houjicha would be could alternative to sencha for late-night tea sessions. I've tasted tea bag houjicha but that's all. Now I thought I would order some "proper" houjicha and I have a couple of questions. I know you're supposed to use opened sencha package in a month or so, but how long does houjicha stay good when opened? I would assume it's not as sensitive as sencha. How do you brew it? Boiling water, but how many grams of tea and for how long?

Jun 27th, '08, 08:00

Re: Houjicha

by britt » Jun 27th, '08, 08:00

Ritva wrote:Sometimes I'd like to drink tea late at night but I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine. I guess houjicha would be could alternative to sencha for late-night tea sessions. I've tasted tea bag houjicha but that's all. Now I thought I would order some "proper" houjicha and I have a couple of questions. I know you're supposed to use opened sencha package in a month or so, but how long does houjicha stay good when opened? I would assume it's not as sensitive as sencha. How do you brew it? Boiling water, but how many grams of tea and for how long?
There shouldn't be a caffeine problem with houjicha.

I use hotter water than I do for sencha, but still well below boiling. I use 1 tablespoon (not teaspoon) per 6 ounces of water and brew for three minutes. I don't do a second infusion, but many do.

The method above worked very well with O-Cha's houjicha. Some recommend boiling water and shorter infusion times.

Jun 27th, '08, 10:59

by olivierco » Jun 27th, '08, 10:59

For houjicha, I brew it 7g 180ml (6oz) first, second and third steep 30sec, but you can vary the different parameters, perhaps using less leaves.

Houjicha is very easy to brew.

Jun 28th, '08, 11:03

by Ritva » Jun 28th, '08, 11:03

Thanks! I'll try both styles when I get my houjicha.

+ Post Reply