gyokuro - does it matter where it is grown?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:06

gyokuro - does it matter where it is grown?

by inspectoring » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:06

Does it really matter what region? I mean other than the geographical differences - is there a difference in UJI vs Asahina, Shizuoka ?
I have tried teas from both - ito-en has UJI and Den's has Asahina - shizuoka. In my opinion - the shizuoka was a little milder? But this was when i had just started to experiment with gyokuro.

Jul 24th, '08, 00:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 24th, '08, 00:53

And then there is Yame Prefecture as well.

I am sure there are differences based on many variables including the actual grower, environmental, soil, breed, and on and on.

I have only had Uji and Yame...well, actually Den made me a cup of Shizuoka at the Expo, but he brewed it hastily and a little hot. But I have had bad Uji and very good Uji. The region is not the only consideration.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 24th, '08, 01:16

by Pentox » Jul 24th, '08, 01:16

From what I have had of Yame/Uji/Shizuoka gyokuros, I tend to rank them in Yame/Shizuoka/Uji. As chip mentioned though the region is not so important as many other factors, grower, vendor, blender, grade, etc etc.

As a quick rule of thumb though I found the following charachteristics common to the region from what I have found. Please note I have not had thaaat many of each of the respective gyo's, so it may just be coincidence.

Uji - tends to be a bit more astringent and bolder.

Shizuoka - Tends to be a nice milder flavor

Yame - Tends to be a bit grassier than the other two.

Again though, take this with a grain of salt, i've only had a few gyokuros from each area. It could very much be coincidence, but thats what I have noticed.

I enjoy the grassiness of the Yame gyo, and shizuoka is nice, but i like it a bit bolder. Not a fan of the astringency of the uji.

Historically tough yame has been the largest % volume of gyokuro, followed by uji followed by shizuoka iirc. (yame being ~80% of tea grown is gyo). Uji grows a fair amount I believe, and shizuoka's production is dwarfed by the sencha production. I'm not sure of the numbers as by mass though.

Yame tends to be more famous for their gyokuro, where Uji is the oldest of the growing regions.

In short, there is a difference between the regions (at least in my mind), but there are many many many factors at play here.

Jul 24th, '08, 02:41

by olivierco » Jul 24th, '08, 02:41

Chip wrote:But I have had bad Uji and very good Uji. The region is not the only consideration.
I agree. The differences between regions are more subtle anyway as they are for wines. Quite nothing in common between a Bordeaux and a Beaujolais for example.

Jul 24th, '08, 11:22

by inspectoring » Jul 24th, '08, 11:22

Very informative Pentox ! -
Thank you...now I have tried Uji and Shizuoka - i guess its time to try Yame. I will post an update here in a couple of days....
Pentox wrote:From what I have had of Yame/Uji/Shizuoka gyokuros, I tend to rank them in Yame/Shizuoka/Uji. As chip mentioned though the region is not so important as many other factors, grower, vendor, blender, grade, etc etc.

As a quick rule of thumb though I found the following charachteristics common to the region from what I have found. Please note I have not had thaaat many of each of the respective gyo's, so it may just be coincidence.

Uji - tends to be a bit more astringent and bolder.

Shizuoka - Tends to be a nice milder flavor

Yame - Tends to be a bit grassier than the other two.

Again though, take this with a grain of salt, i've only had a few gyokuros from each area. It could very much be coincidence, but thats what I have noticed.

I enjoy the grassiness of the Yame gyo, and shizuoka is nice, but i like it a bit bolder. Not a fan of the astringency of the uji.

Historically tough yame has been the largest % volume of gyokuro, followed by uji followed by shizuoka iirc. (yame being ~80% of tea grown is gyo). Uji grows a fair amount I believe, and shizuoka's production is dwarfed by the sencha production. I'm not sure of the numbers as by mass though.

Yame tends to be more famous for their gyokuro, where Uji is the oldest of the growing regions.

In short, there is a difference between the regions (at least in my mind), but there are many many many factors at play here.
:)

Aug 1st, '08, 16:21

by BryanP » Aug 1st, '08, 16:21

I agree.

I own two gyokuro teas that are from Uji and Shizuoka and if we were to talk about strictly regions, then yes, there is a difference.

Obviously as with any company, quality varies on who exactly is doing it, how it is processed, etc.

Therefore, you can have teas coming from the same region (for example, perfectures located in Uji), but the qualities may be different. This is common for companies and this is no different in tea.

Basically, you should pay attention to where it is sourced, but you should pay attention to the quality of the processing by the actual harvesters/processors.

I do agree with Pentox regarding his findings. I've taste tested Yame Gyokuro (particularly from Lupicia) and it was more "green" or grassy as he would put it than the ones from Uji and Shizuoka.

The Uji one is much more "bolder" and more astringent than the two. The Shizouka one is milder as well.

However, because the perfectures are different, I cannot solely attribute the taste to the region of growth.

I have to definitely give credit to Lupicia USA for example for their processing work. Another tea perfecture may not treat their leaves the same way.

Aug 1st, '08, 16:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 1st, '08, 16:51

Just finishing the 5th steep of a Yame Gyokuro that was given to me by someone who does not like gyokuro. This stuff is mind bending. The second steep was sweeter than the first, like honey veggies. I smiled as I drank it. 3 grams per 1.5 ounce steep.

Another factor not even mentioned is...by Japanese law, a tea must contain more than 50% tea from the prefecture origin stated in the labeling, etc. So, an Uji gyokuro could by law contain 51% Uji gyokuro and 49% fuller from other prefectures and still be called Uji Gyokuro. It is the law of the land.

Thus, buying from a reputable seller who actually HAS this information and knows the true origin make up of their teas can be invaluable.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply