Ryu Mei - anyone tried this store?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 12th, '08, 20:49

by kongni » Aug 12th, '08, 20:49

I bought gyokuro, uji sencha, fukamushi, kukicha, ceremonial grade matcha, and uji matcha from Ryu Mei.
Considering the price and their claim that it is organic I would say that it is pretty good. I'm debating if I will buy from them again mainly because they don't have official organic certification from Japan or the US. Overall the tea is very fresh and well packaged.

Here are some notes on the teas I tried:

gyokuro- forgiving with temperature. Tastes great.
uji sencha- nothing special and definitely not the best I've had for the price
fukamushi- "ok" but again nothing special.
Kukicha- Yum!
ceremonial matcha- Surprisingly good. I don't have a very developed matcha palette but it had a nice round flavor with little bitterness.
uji matcha- Good for a matcha latte or ingredient in a recipe. I plan on doing some cooking experiments with it and not so much drinking it straight.

Aug 27th, '08, 10:34

by Splinters » Aug 27th, '08, 10:34

I bought some gyokuro from Ryu Mei a number of months ago. I thought it was very good, of excellent quality for the price. In fact, I prefer the taste to the high-grade Hongyokuro I purchased around the same time from an established vendor.

I can't speak to Ryu Mei's other products, but I was sufficiently satisfied with my purchase that I've been considering ordering other products from them.

+ Post Reply