A Tale of 4 Yutaka Midori

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 19th, '08, 14:22
Scrolling: scrolling

A Tale of 4 Yutaka Midori

by Chip » Sep 19th, '08, 14:22

It was the best of times, it is the even better of times...

Up to a few weeks ago, I only ever had the pleasure of experiencing one Yutaka Midori, the O-Cha classic and my fav sencha. For me it was a benchmark for a Yutaka Midori, especially since it was my only one :wink: . This has been a case of simply trying the best example of a type of tea first (like trying the best matcha first verses building up to the best).

Today, I have in my possession 4 different versions of Yutaka Midori. For those who don't know a Yutaka Midori from a Yabukita, Yutaka Midori is a tea varietal that seems to be grown only in the southern most prefecture of Japan, Kagoshima. The leaf is capable of brewing an incredibly full and rich cup of sencha.

So, I am going to be doing a side by side taste testing this weekend of all 4!!! I have to wonder if this has ever even been done stateside, with the exception of a vendor taste testing possible products. The 4 that I will be taste testing are:

Yutaka Midori from O-Cha
Chiran Yutaka Midori from Lupicia/Hawaii store
Chiran Yutaka Midori from O-Cha
Yakushima Yutaka Midori from Lupicia/Hawaii store

I will endeavor to offer an unbiased review of each as well as some information I have researched on each.

Too bad I don't have the Ito En version in hand as well.
Last edited by Chip on Sep 19th, '08, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.

Sep 19th, '08, 14:26

by Pentox » Sep 19th, '08, 14:26

Lol I forgot that there is also an Ariake Yutakamidori from Lupicia as well. That and the ito-ens would have made for one hell of a YM roundup

Sep 19th, '08, 17:17

by Photiou » Sep 19th, '08, 17:17

Yutaka Midori - that 'O-Cha classic' was almost worst 'sencha' I have ever bought - actually I bet it was scooped up from tea factory floor :evil: - and I have not ordered anything from them since... but it would be nice to test how those other YMs do compare (are they all steamed to death?).

Sep 19th, '08, 17:22

by Chip » Sep 19th, '08, 17:22

You are truly evil. :twisted: Your lust of the asamushi and disdain for the fukamushi is long documented. :lol:

The Yutaka Midori is long my favorite. It is definitely deep steamed and certainly not tea dust swept off floors like teabag tea. :shock:

I will report more on my findings over the weekend. :D

Sep 19th, '08, 17:42

by Pentox » Sep 19th, '08, 17:42

Ah delicious asamuchi. Lol that would make an interesting poll. What do you like better, asa, chu, fuka, or WTF are you talking about.

Sep 19th, '08, 17:45

by Chip » Sep 19th, '08, 17:45

TRUE that... :lol: I like them all though.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 19th, '08, 17:48

by Pentox » Sep 19th, '08, 17:48

Chip wrote:TRUE that... :lol: I like Asamuchi.
I think you made a typo there, I fixed it for you.

Sep 19th, '08, 23:03

by bambooforest » Sep 19th, '08, 23:03

Maikotea has a wonderful asamushi called, "Maruyama."

I got my package in today.

Sep 20th, '08, 02:05

by greenisgood » Sep 20th, '08, 02:05

i think it might be time to resurrect the fukamushi gang sign.

Sep 20th, '08, 02:24

by Chip » Sep 20th, '08, 02:24

Or join the new offshoot gang and flash the Fukamushi Yutaka Midori gang sign. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 20th, '08, 07:27

by britt » Sep 20th, '08, 07:27

Photiou wrote:Yutaka Midori - that 'O-Cha classic' was almost worst 'sencha' I have ever bought - actually I bet it was scooped up from tea factory floor :evil: - and I have not ordered anything from them since... but it would be nice to test how those other YMs do compare (are they all steamed to death?).
O-Cha.com's Yutaka Midori is actually the best sencha I have ever bought and the one that I drink the most. I rank Tsuen's Kirameki from O-Cha up there as well, but that one has very limited availability. I'm working on my last bag now, and when that's gone it's back to my all-time fave, O-Cha's Yutaka Midori.

Over the spring and summer I received several different types of sencha as gifts from various Japanese vendors. I also purchased various Japanese teas from vendors that I had previously only purchased teaware from. I had exclusively used O-Cha as my regular source of Japanese tea up to this summer. I wanted to see what other vendors had to offer.

As far as the different sencha's go, O-Cha's top five (Yutaka Midori, Kirameki, Miyabi, Fukamashi Supreme, Hatsumi) soundly defeated all challengers by a wide margin. Some of the others were actually quite good, but in my opinion and based on my taste, the O-Cha selection of sencha is far superior to any I have tried from other sources.

I got the same results with gyokuro; O-Cha's Kame-Giru-Shi and Ume no Uki-hashi are the best two gyokuros I have ever brewed.

Genmai-cha is the only exception to the otherwise consistent results of my "O-Cha takes on all challengers" test. I did find one genmai-cha that I thought was better than what is offered by O-Cha. However, it used a high quality first flush sencha which seems to defeat the purpose of using the rice to add flavor to later harvest, lower grade teas. It also needs to be brewed like top quality sencha using lower water temp, but extra tea to make up for the volume of rice. It was twice the price of O-Cha's version. To be fair, I admit it's the best genmai-cha I have tasted. It was purchased at Zencha.net. Zencha's gyokuro and sencha did not impress me when compared to those purchased from O-Cha.com. Zencha does have a great selection of teaware and sake items though, and I will continue purchasing those items from them.

Being high quality, first flush teas, O-Cha's best senchas can be difficult to brew in comparison to the some of the other lighter, sweeter, and somewhat bland sencha I've had from other sources. I don't consider this to be a negative, as top quality items sometimes require special care.

I have never seen any Yutaka Midori from O-Cha that looks like tea dust, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I do know that when brewed with typical kyusu, especially those with sasame (clay) filters, a fair amount of leaf makes it through the filter and into the cup. This does alter the flavor, but in a way that I find desireable. Over time, makers of Japanese teaware have varied the hole size in these filters as the tastes of Japanese consumers changed. The holes became larger when the consumer learned that some leaf in the cup was healthy and also tasted good.

My purchases of Japanese tea from other vendors was not due to any dis-satisfaction with the O-Cha selection. It was merely a test to verify that I was correct in my selection of O-Cha.com as my sole source of Japanese tea. I do have an order of matcha and a 50 gram bag of sencha on the way from Maiko Tea Shop, but so far, with the exception of genmai-cha, O-Cha easily wins all categories. I have not yet found any other vendor that consistently supplies tea at this high level of quality. One Japanese teaware vendor has stated that I am drinking much better tea than most Japanese. I consider this more of a compliment to O-Cha.com that to me, as they do the work in their selection process and I just click the "add to cart" button. I consider O-Cha.com's overall selection, especially theYutaka Midori, to be among the best deals to be found on the internet.

Sep 20th, '08, 12:00

by Jack_teachat » Sep 20th, '08, 12:00

I very much look forward to your reviews Chip. Even though I would say that the Fukamushi sencha supreme is probably my favourite O-cha offering I am a big fan of YM and am hoping to include some of the Chiran in my next order from them. :D

Sep 20th, '08, 15:43

by bambooforest » Sep 20th, '08, 15:43

Britt, your assessment of o-cha tea is certainly interesting. I would say, for the deeper steamed tea - they take the cake. Yes.

But, O-Cha really doesn't offer much of the lighter steamed selections - which I don't interpret as being bland. Especially when adequate leaf is used.

I like having a variety on hand. To have lighter and deeper steamed tea to select from.

I would recommend the Kumpu sencha from Ippodo. That asamushi tea really stands out in my mind. In short, it was very memorable. Excellent to boot.
Last edited by bambooforest on Sep 20th, '08, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 20th, '08, 16:00

by Pentox » Sep 20th, '08, 16:00

bambooforest wrote:Britt, your assessment of o-cha tea is certainly interesting. I would say, for the deeper steamed tea - they take the cake. Yes.

But, O-Cha really doesn't offer much of the lighter steamed selections - which I don't interpret as being bland. Especially when adequate leaf is used.
Agreed. I find that o-cha's selection is biased toward fukamushi, and to some degree stronger more astringent teas. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I enjoy asamuchi and chumushi as well, and I find o-cha's selection to be a bit more lacking in that area.

Sep 20th, '08, 18:19

by olivierco » Sep 20th, '08, 18:19

bambooforest wrote:
I would recommend the Kumpu sencha from Ippodo. That asamushi tea really stands out in my mind. In short, it was very memorable. Excellent to boot.
I agree: Kumpu and Kaboku from Ippodo are great and cost approximatively the same price as ocha's ones.

+ Post Reply