Recs for a Yutaka Midori lover

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 21st, '08, 17:24

Recs for a Yutaka Midori lover

by ryan » Sep 21st, '08, 17:24

Greenies,

Given my taste profile below can any green tea lovers out there give me some recommendations? Ive been drinking green tea exclusively for almost a year now and would like to expand on the few I have found so far that I like.

Sencha: So far my favorite is Yutaka Midori. I love the aroma, very full of fresh green vegetal + a little sweet. I like the full body taste and that it has a good kick to it (compared to o-cha hatsumi which I found somewhat dry, like hay, and just not as satisfying). At the same time it is slightly sweet. I also like Hibiki's fukamushi super premium but not quite as much as the YM.

Gyokuru: I love Gyokuru. I find it more calming that a cup of sencha... maybe because of the increased theanine or maybe just because its a more fragile tea. Mostly I have stuck to Hibiki's gyokuru supreme because I like it a lot. It is pretty easy to get a good cup and comes out smooth and slightly sweet.

Ive tried a few other varieties from Dens Tea (Sencha Shin Ryoku), Bancha, Mecha, without much of a preference.

I am looking to branch out and try a few more japanese green teas hoping I will find a few more that I like just as much as my favorites. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Happy tea time!

Sep 21st, '08, 17:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 21st, '08, 17:27

Have you tried Miyabi from O-Cha yet? That's a good one. Also, Lupicia has a lot of good Japanese teas, including some Yukata Midori senchas.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Sep 21st, '08, 20:46

by Pentox » Sep 21st, '08, 20:46

I've been searching for a good genmaicha and hojicha for a while. I'm pretty satisfied with the offerings from Sugimoto USA, but i'm still looking.

Sep 22nd, '08, 02:36

by Beidao » Sep 22nd, '08, 02:36

Which chinese greens do you like? Do you like Kukicha?
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Sep 22nd, '08, 03:06

by greenisgood » Sep 22nd, '08, 03:06

the O-Cha ym is probably my favorite japanese green too
if you want to make another den's order i would highly recommend both their fukamushi maki (really flavorful fuka with a kind of citrusy taste) and the guricha (which if you haven't heard about is kind of like a sencha that pleasantly reminds you of a chinese green).

Sep 22nd, '08, 08:00

by ryan » Sep 22nd, '08, 08:00

I don't think I have ever tried any chinese greens. I like Kukicha occasionally but I don't always care for the tartness.

Sep 22nd, '08, 09:31

by Beidao » Sep 22nd, '08, 09:31

Then try some Chinese greens :) Long Jing, Bi Lo Chun, Lu'An Guapian... there's lots!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Oct 3rd, '08, 10:39

by ryan » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:39

scruffmcgruff wrote:Have you tried Miyabi from O-Cha yet? That's a good one. Also, Lupicia has a lot of good Japanese teas, including some Yukata Midori senchas.
scruffmcgruff for the win! I ordered a bag of Miyabi from O-cha and it arrived yesterday. The tea itself seems less steamed than O-cha's Kagoshima Yutaka Midori. The first brew was very nice. Perhaps a bit less sweetness than I like but the aroma was great. Can't wait to try with modified brewing parameters to see if I can make it even better. The first infusion was 178F / 1.5m / 2 teaspoons leaf / 6oz water.

Probably wont brew it again until tomorrow as I only drink 2 cups per day and I need to get my friday gyokuru fix. =)

Oct 3rd, '08, 21:57

Re: Recs for a Yutaka Midori lover

by joelbct » Oct 3rd, '08, 21:57

ryan wrote:Sencha: So far my favorite is Yutaka Midori. I love the aroma, very full of fresh green vegetal + a little sweet. I like the full body taste and that it has a good kick to it
Try Ito En's Megami and Chiran KanayaMidori, both from Kagoshima, vibrant/intense, reasonably priced (~$5/ounce), and super delicious... 2 of my favorite Sencha's out of the 30 or so that I've tried this past couple years...

Oct 4th, '08, 01:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 4th, '08, 01:51

Moar Yutaka Midori, this was a trick question. :lol: That and Chiran Supreme also from O-Cha.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply