Good genmai cha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 12th, '08, 09:56

Good genmai cha?

by caligatia » Oct 12th, '08, 09:56

A friend of mine enjoys genmai cha, and is looking for a good source. She's a casual tea drinker and doesn't want to pay a lot for it. Suggestions?

Oct 12th, '08, 11:05

by Ed » Oct 12th, '08, 11:05

Adagio's is actually pretty good. If you want to get it as fresh as possible and possibly score some higher grade genmai, nearly all of the Japanese vendors carry it. Den's organic genmaicha was the most recent one I had and it was very good.

Ah, I just noticed Adagio is sold out of Genmaicha! I guess that's not an option then. I just ordered a bag of genmaicha from www.mellowmonk.com. I haven't tasted it yet but their other teas seem to be quite good and priced right.

Oct 12th, '08, 13:21

by chamekke » Oct 12th, '08, 13:21

Ed, I received a sample of Adagio's genmaicha a few months ago. The contents were at least 90% roasted brown rice... there was very little actual tea.

I used up the sample by adding some lower-grade sencha to the mix, but I wouldn't order it again. Even supermarket genmaicha has a higher percentage of green tea (usu. bancha) than that.

Is that typical of Adagio's genmaicha? At the time I assumed it was, but perhaps I just happened to get a sample that was exceptionally low in tea.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Oct 12th, '08, 13:50

by Ed » Oct 12th, '08, 13:50

Chamekke wrote:Ed, I received a sample of Adagio's genmaicha a few months ago. The contents were at least 90% roasted brown rice... there was very little actual tea.
Whoah, that sounds nothing like the 5 oz. tin I got from them a few years ago. Maybe they are getting their genmai from a new source now. :? I was actually pretty happy with the stuff I got, except for the fact that those tins do not seal properly. The taste was good, though, and there was plenty of tea in there. Hopefully El Padre will comment because I think he's had Adagio's genmai fairly recently.

Oct 13th, '08, 17:56

by Pentox » Oct 13th, '08, 17:56

The best genmai that I've had is the genmai from Sugimoto (www.sugimotousa.com) It won the world tea expo best flavored category.

Tea Geschwedner and Den's both have fairly good genamis, neither are as good as the sugimoto one though. (I've had quite a few genmais)

Oct 13th, '08, 18:00

by shogun89 » Oct 13th, '08, 18:00

Adagio's is back in stock. Haven't had it but its on my list.

Oct 13th, '08, 19:45
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Oct 13th, '08, 19:45

chamekke wrote:The contents were at least 90% roasted brown rice... there was very little actual tea.

Is that typical of Adagio's genmaicha? At the time I assumed it was, but perhaps I just happened to get a sample that was exceptionally low in tea.
Absolutely not. Total fluke, that.

I've never found a *bad* source for genmai, btw. Even bulk in a plastic bag at the local Asian grocery has been fine by me.

Oct 13th, '08, 20:16

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 20:16

el padre wrote:
chamekke wrote:The contents were at least 90% roasted brown rice... there was very little actual tea.

Absolutely not. Total fluke, that.

I've never found a *bad* source for genmai, btw. Even bulk in a plastic bag at the local Asian grocery has been fine by me.
Well, that's why I was wondering. Having had garden-variety genmaicha from the Asian grocery, I was expecting something different - i.e. superior.

Yup, it sounds as though I simply happened to draw the short straw on this one!
Last edited by chamekke on Oct 14th, '08, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 14th, '08, 10:16

by Pentox » Oct 14th, '08, 10:16

Bad gemai is just that, and it's noticeable too. You'll notice the rice is either too prominent, stale, too little, or the tea is just not right in some manner. Once you find a good genmai the comparison to a bad gemai is very obvious.

+ Post Reply