YSLLC Green tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 12th, '08, 21:45

YSLLC Green tea

by PolyhymnianMuse » Oct 12th, '08, 21:45

Yunnan Sourcing seems to have some pretty decent looking green teas and very tempting prices. Has anyone tried any of them? MY main concern would be loss of quality in transit from china to my house.

Oct 12th, '08, 22:59

by tsusentei » Oct 12th, '08, 22:59

I have tried around 5 of Scott's green teas. They were all very attractive dry leaves and generally rich in flavor. Regardless of the proclaimed style or title the leaves are rather large, which makes me think that they are all produced in or around Yunnan, as opposed to their traditional regions. This doesn't mean that they are sub-par, in fact I would say that they are rather good, but they all tend to taste like Yunnan tea...

In short:
Quality of leaf - 8
Aroma - 8
Flavor - 6 (smooth and rich, but not traditional)

I would purchase some again. Yet, personally, I like a bit of variety in my flavor profiles, so I wouldn't order ALL of my green tea from YSLLC.

Oct 12th, '08, 23:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 12th, '08, 23:21

I had Mao Feng Premium Yunnan Green last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. I concur with Tsusentei: they are "rather good," but don't replace the great Chinese greens.

Oct 12th, '08, 23:30

by PolyhymnianMuse » Oct 12th, '08, 23:30

Yea, I was looking at them more as a tea you would throw a bunch in a cup and just keep drinking and refilling. A good everyday green tea.

Oct 13th, '08, 14:50

by bearsbearsbears » Oct 13th, '08, 14:50

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:Yea, I was looking at them more as a tea you would throw a bunch in a cup and just keep drinking and refilling. A good everyday green tea.
They are excellent for that purpose. I love Yunnan greens and look forward to Scott's fresh spring crop each year. The 2008 spring mao feng was fantastic this year (same as yours, Sal?), but the cui ming was my favorite. The zhu ye qing... not so much.

As long as you get the recent harvest and air ship, there's no loss of quality, though as good as this year's crop was, it couldn't compare to being in Yunnan and tasting them in the days after harvest last year. :o

Oct 14th, '08, 01:25

by devites » Oct 14th, '08, 01:25

I got the Bi Luo Chun about a month ago and I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought the leaves looked good and the taste was ok (again i have no reference). I personally would go with Dragon Tea House, the shipping blows either way, but I think Yunnan Sourcing are experts at Puerh not Green.

Oct 15th, '08, 00:24

by puerhking » Oct 15th, '08, 00:24

I have tried:

Jasmine pearl green - excellent - i love this one

Bi luo chun - quite good - very subtle flavor nice for a change of pace

Cui ming - quite good - subtle flavor - bolder than biluochun - nice for morning

Bamboo shoots green - very good - great everyday green

Green needle - good - difficult to brew - tends to be a bit bitter

Oct 15th, '08, 15:44

by PolyhymnianMuse » Oct 15th, '08, 15:44

devites wrote:I got the Bi Luo Chun about a month ago and I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought the leaves looked good and the taste was ok (again i have no reference). I personally would go with Dragon Tea House, the shipping blows either way, but I think Yunnan Sourcing are experts at Puerh not Green.
What have you liked in terms of green teas from DTH?

Thanks everyone too for your thoughts on YSLLC, I will be giving some of the greens from Scott a try.

Oct 19th, '08, 01:09

by PolyhymnianMuse » Oct 19th, '08, 01:09

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
devites wrote:I got the Bi Luo Chun about a month ago and I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought the leaves looked good and the taste was ok (again i have no reference). I personally would go with Dragon Tea House, the shipping blows either way, but I think Yunnan Sourcing are experts at Puerh not Green.
What have you liked in terms of green teas from DTH?
Bump...

I'm just curious what greens from DTH are good offerings and how do the teas from DTH compare with YSLLC

+ Post Reply