Looking for gateway Green!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 3rd, '08, 09:45
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Dec 3rd, '08, 09:45

Vulture wrote: Yah I tried them at work so I couldn't control temps well. It might just be the vegital is the overbrewing/badbrewing taste that comes from greens. Kinda like the bitterness in blacks.
Overbrewing could be a factor. Most Chinese green teas are not that sensitive about slight temperature differences. But when you use a gaiwan, for most green teas, just don't have the lid on. Lid on can boil and "steam" the tea and that causes most over-brewing effect.
Gaiwan is designed to occupy both of your hands, especially when used for green tea. When using gaiwan, with one hand grabbing saucer, one hand grabbing lid, tea drinkers can chat with others, or just stare at the air, but not allowed to do anything else :P

But overall it's hard to name gateway green teas. Sorts of green teas are more than all sorts of black/oolong/puerh teas added together. So no green tea can be representative.

Dec 3rd, '08, 12:09

by Vulture » Dec 3rd, '08, 12:09

Yah I am actually working through oolongs at the moment. I am waiting on xmas to get an electric kettle. I have some Sencha Overture and Pi Lo Chun to try out from adagio...

Jan 1st, '09, 22:22

by Vulture » Jan 1st, '09, 22:22

So using my new electric kettle I had my first self brewed green: Adagio pi lo chun

First steep was a little light but pleasant. The second I overstepped to see the extreme. I found it had a bite, little bitter but unlike a blacks. I didn't have too much time and I needed to sleep soon so I stopped there.

I am just starting to try out greens and the other two I will play with soon are sencha and genmai cha. I am using a 4oz gaiwan with about 180 degree water. About how much tea should I be using and how long to steep? I am used to short steep times from doing blacks and oolongs.

+ Post Reply