Good Matcha Starter Set?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 16th, '08, 14:54

Good Matcha Starter Set?

by heatwaves » Nov 16th, '08, 14:54

I'm asking for a matcha starter set this christmas and I'd like to be able to point my wife in the right direction. I looked at O-Cha and their sets are all on the pricey side ($150). Any ideas? I'm hoping to find a capable set around $40-50.

Many thanks, teaheads!

Nov 16th, '08, 14:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Nov 16th, '08, 14:58

I quite liked the Ippodo set, it's cheap but the postage ain't.

https://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/shop/en/g ... sSeq=10166

Nov 16th, '08, 18:04

by Pentox » Nov 16th, '08, 18:04

That tends to be the set of choice around here.

Nov 17th, '08, 14:41

by Geekgirl » Nov 17th, '08, 14:41

I vote for the Ippodo set, mainly because the matcha that comes with it is quite good. Plus if you are already ordering from them, it's a good opportunity to try some 20g tins of their higher grade matcha also. Yummy.

Nov 17th, '08, 16:37

by Salsero » Nov 17th, '08, 16:37

Shamelessly unafraid to repeat myself, I loved the Ippodo starter kit. It has everything you need for about $60, arrives on your doorstep in less than a week, and you are ready to brew matcha. The chawan is perfectly serviceable but not art quality (in fact it stars in at least one of my TeaDay pix Matcha Daybreak and here's another photo.) I love matcha, but don't make it very often, so this is still my only real chawan. Had I spent more money, I probably would not be making more matcha. EO also has this set. It used to be that there were a couple glowing reviews on the site from Wesli (?) I think and from me. The matcha that comes with it is very respectable ... not the $60 a tin stuff, but better than average. I have found that you can order more cheap, good matcha from Maiko if you choose the less expensive shipping option BTW. By cheap I mean under $15 including shipping.

Here are some pics i posted when it arrived: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... podo#28537

Nov 17th, '08, 16:52

by Shelob » Nov 17th, '08, 16:52

Sal, based on those pics alone, I'm gonna order that baby :!: Been wanting a set and why not start w/Ippodo? Thanks for the great information.

Nov 17th, '08, 17:37

by Salsero » Nov 17th, '08, 17:37

Don't spring for a sifter, BTW, like I did. A plain kitchen sieve or tea strainer thingy works just fine.

Nov 17th, '08, 17:53

by Geekgirl » Nov 17th, '08, 17:53

I use a teabasket from a rejected teapot as a strainer. It works quite well. Salsero, that teabowl from the set is quite nice. It's as attractive as the $30 bowl I use at work for my matcha.

I have yet to order matcha from Maiko. I wonder how it compares to the quality of Ippodo's?

Nov 17th, '08, 19:02

by Salsero » Nov 17th, '08, 19:02

I have had only two Matcha: Maccha "Kyo Mukashi" from Maiko and the Kimmo-no-mukashi from Ippodo. Both are usucha but I thought they were both excellent and pretty similar. I also have a Maiko Maccha "Uji no Sato" that I received in March and have never opened. :oops: I suppose it is only good for cooking by now.

I just don't drink enough!

Dec 31st, '08, 16:13

by tjkoko_off » Dec 31st, '08, 16:13

What's the purpose of the tea cloth in this and other tea sets?
TJK

Dec 31st, '08, 16:18

by Salsero » Dec 31st, '08, 16:18

I think it is to dry the chawan after preheating it with water. Personally, I use a paper towel.

Dec 31st, '08, 16:43

by Pentox » Dec 31st, '08, 16:43

It's not really needed.

I just thought that it would be good point out that the ippodo set is a lot more expensive nowdays with the current exchange rate. The price when the rate was around 115:1 is a lot worse now that the exchange rate is around 90:1 Ippodo's pricing is in Yen and that get's converted at the current rate.

Just food for thought.

Dec 31st, '08, 16:50

by britt » Dec 31st, '08, 16:50

I recently tried some of Maiko's Chiyo Mukashi which is a koicha, or thick style matcha. Although I have both positive and negative comments on this matcha, I will say that a koicha at this price that isn't bitter is a great deal. It is $20 per 40 grams, not the 30 gram size that most matcha comes in. I purchased the 200 gram can for $100. No discount is offered over purchasing five 40 gram cans, but you do receive a reuaseable, double-sealed caddy that can be used to store sencha after the matcha is gone.

Initially this matcha had a very powdery taste, but once getting through the top of the can this was no longer a problem. It was quite lumpy from the very beginning and remained so to the bottom of the can. I don't use a sifter, but it wouldn't hurt with this matcha. Using a broad, flat-bottomed chawan with no indentation in the center of the bottom alleviated the lumping problem, but extra care was still necessary to be lump-free.

Anyone who wants a decent koicha at this low price point can't really go wrong with Maiko's Chiyo Mukashi. However, for those who want any good matcha at this price, regardless of whether it's koicha or usacha, I'd recommend O-Cha's Kiri No Mori over this one. Kiri No Mori is usacha, but it is a steal at the price and I've found it to be very smooth tasting as well as lump-free. They're both great values for what they are, but Kiri No Mori may be one of the best matcha deals ever.

Dec 31st, '08, 17:00

by Pentox » Dec 31st, '08, 17:00

britt wrote:I recently tried some of Maiko's Chiyo Mukashi which is a koicha, or thick style matcha. Although I have both positive and negative comments on this matcha, I will say that a koicha at this price that isn't bitter is a great deal. It is $20 per 40 grams, not the 30 gram size that most matcha comes in. I purchased the 200 gram can for $100. No discount is offered over purchasing five 40 gram cans, but you do receive a reuaseable, double-sealed caddy that can be used to store sencha after the matcha is gone.
Hm interesting, most of the matcha that I see comes in the 20/40g offerings. Now that I look at it more, 30g are somewhat common, but dominated by the 20/40's.

20/40 - Hibiki-an, Lupicia, Ippodo, Koyama-en, Maiko
30's - Zencha, O-cha.

Those are off the quick list of where I looked.

Dec 31st, '08, 17:18

by britt » Dec 31st, '08, 17:18

Pentox wrote:
britt wrote:I recently tried some of Maiko's Chiyo Mukashi which is a koicha, or thick style matcha. Although I have both positive and negative comments on this matcha, I will say that a koicha at this price that isn't bitter is a great deal. It is $20 per 40 grams, not the 30 gram size that most matcha comes in. I purchased the 200 gram can for $100. No discount is offered over purchasing five 40 gram cans, but you do receive a reuaseable, double-sealed caddy that can be used to store sencha after the matcha is gone.
Hm interesting, most of the matcha that I see comes in the 20/40g offerings. Now that I look at it more, 30g are somewhat common, but dominated by the 20/40's.

20/40 - Hibiki-an, Lupicia, Ippodo, Koyama-en, Maiko
30's - Zencha, O-cha.

Those are off the quick list of where I looked.
My error; this was the first time I purchased quality matcha that wasn't from O-Cha.com. I based my comments on this and the fact that the local Asian market also sells 30 gram cans, although theirs is anything but high quality.

My point was that in spite of my two complaints with Maiko's Chiyo Mukashi, 40 grams of consumable koicha for $20 is a good deal.

+ Post Reply