Your favorite green, where is it from?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Where is your favorite green from?

Ceylon
2%
China
31%
India
2%
Japan
64%
Kenya
No votes
Taiwan
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

Nov 18th, '08, 16:15

by Pentox » Nov 18th, '08, 16:15

auggy wrote:I am addicted to Den's guricha.
*FACEPALM*

Nov 18th, '08, 17:42

by Michael_C » Nov 18th, '08, 17:42

Japan, but really because all of the tea I drank there was with friends, in odd or exceptional circumstances. I'm not sure if that's what's meant by 'best tea', but I consider a large part of the quality of tea - and food also - to be with whom it is consumed, when and where, and what led up to it and what leads from it. So my favorite green (now) was a bottle of vending-machine Suntory green tea on a Nara side street by an endless rice field, trying to remember which way to get back to the house. Yuki was smiling at me, my having made her promise not to tell (to better learn the neighborhood)... I was unwrapping a Daily Yamzaki onigiri, wondering how they could possibly roll it into a perfect little triangle when all of mine turn out as distressingly irregular spheres, and realizing that it didn't really matter which direction to walk in, so long as the two of us were together and had enough Suntory to weather the hot summer afternoon.

Of course, by this wacky criterion, my favorite green tea could change at any time. Heck, it could change tonight, if circumstances permit. If it does happen here, it will be a Kyoto sencha (that's all I can read off the package) - it's a beautiful tea. Truly.

Nov 18th, '08, 18:04

by thanks » Nov 18th, '08, 18:04

Mine is a Pin-Lin organic green made by small producer. I received a sample for it from Hou De when I ordered the same producers organic Baozhong. Very good, and so was the Baozhong!

Nov 18th, '08, 18:44

by edkrueger » Nov 18th, '08, 18:44

If you count Baozhong as green, they my response must change to Taiwan. I'll Try some of the Pin Lin with my next hou de order.

Nov 18th, '08, 19:09

by shogun89 » Nov 18th, '08, 19:09

I love dragon well, but. . . Matcha has to take it so Japan.

Nov 18th, '08, 19:32

by thanks » Nov 18th, '08, 19:32

edkrueger wrote:If you count Baozhong as green, they my response must change to Taiwan. I'll Try some of the Pin Lin with my next hou de order.
I wasn't counting the Baozhong as a green, I wish we could, but alas still an oolong. Guang actually offered a free sample for a limited time of an organic Pin-Lin green tea by a small organic tea farmer who also produced organic Baozhong. Since most of the green tea was sold out when Guang went to buy some, Guang decided to buy the rest (small amount) and give it away free for as long as it lasted with orders of the Baozhong. It's explained better on the website,

"We visited several producers/plantations in Pin-Lin and Mu-Zha in 2008 May to search for the genuine quality Bao Zhong that worth sharing. We met a small organic producer of bao zhong and green tea, and was very impressed by the quality. However, his green tea was almost sold out and we only got 1 jin of it. So we decided to share free samples of his green tea with every order of the organic bao zhong while supply last."

Nov 18th, '08, 21:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Nov 18th, '08, 21:22

edkrueger wrote:If you count Baozhong as green, they my response must change to Taiwan. I'll Try some of the Pin Lin with my next hou de order.
I was wondering if anybody was going to show some love for a place other than China or Japan... but given thanks' comments... doesn't look like it's going to happen. :D

Nov 19th, '08, 10:00

by auggy » Nov 19th, '08, 10:00

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote:I am addicted to Den's guricha.
*FACEPALM*
:P

I'm not a tea snob. I give all teas a chance to make me happy. Currently that's the one that's doing it.

Nov 19th, '08, 10:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 19th, '08, 10:22

Drax wrote:
I was wondering if anybody was going to show some love for a place other than China or Japan... but given thanks' comments... doesn't look like it's going to happen. :D
There are some true Taiwan greens that are actually pretty nice, but can be frustrating buying, can be hit or miss freshness wise. This one seems susceptible to loss of freshness. But I have had a few that were really nice.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 1st, '08, 02:06

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Dec 1st, '08, 02:06

Gotta go with Japan.....nothing beats a pinnacle grade sencha morning noon or night! I think japan does a great job with tea and especially tea ware!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Dec 1st, '08, 03:16

by Oni » Dec 1st, '08, 03:16

Me and my family vote for gyokuro in the loose leaf tea category (we drink loose leaf and matcha only), there were so many great gyokuros I really couldn`t tell which one was the best, the Fugenji Midori from maiko is a mystery it tastes like no other gyokuro, the Kame no Yowai classic gokoh, gyokuro super premium, I tried a gyokuro from Yame that was made of Yutaka Midori leaves. For gyokuro you must be an experienced tea drinker, you really need a houhin or a mame kyusu with yuzamashi to do it right, and don`t forget about the thermometer, I`ll post my brewing method later.

Dec 1st, '08, 18:50

by Ed » Dec 1st, '08, 18:50

Auggy wrote:I'm not a tea snob. I give all teas a chance to make me happy. Currently that's the one that's doing it.
I love Den's guricha too, Auggy. Several of us around here dig it. It's smooth and sweet.

Dec 2nd, '08, 14:46

by Shelob » Dec 2nd, '08, 14:46

Ed wrote:
Auggy wrote:I'm not a tea snob. I give all teas a chance to make me happy. Currently that's the one that's doing it.
I love Den's guricha too, Auggy. Several of us around here dig it. It's smooth and sweet.
+1 8) :D

Dec 2nd, '08, 17:09

by auggy » Dec 2nd, '08, 17:09

Ed wrote:
Mmm, it is, isn't it? Sadly, mine is almost gone. :( I see a Den's order in my future.

Dec 2nd, '08, 17:12

by Pentox » Dec 2nd, '08, 17:12

auggy wrote:Mmm, it is, isn't it? Sadly, mine is almost gone. :( I see a Den's order in my future.
For something not guri maybe?

+ Post Reply