Do you use protection ... for your kyusu?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 26th, '08, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling

Do you use protection ... for your kyusu?

by Chip » Dec 26th, '08, 00:52

That crude little piece of tubing (sometimes more elaborate molded silicone) that comes installed on kyusu spouts, do you use yours? Or do you promptly remove it because it is sooo hideous looking on your lovely kyusu?

When I got my first one, the vendor thought it was just there for protection during shipping, but I can attest it serves more important long term functions as well. It protects the spout from chipping, something I managed to do to 2 of mine since I removed them.

Also, it prevents dribble staining from the spout all the way to the base of the pot with constant use, and yes, this definitely does occur over time.

A down side or two, as mentioned it does distract me from enjoying the simple and natural beauty of my kyusu-s. Also, there is a tendency to tea stain around the edges of this contraption. I wonder if water gets under there, does it ever dry?

I guess I could take it off after each use, but that would also be a pain.

What do you do?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 26th, '08, 00:56

by Salsero » Dec 26th, '08, 00:56

I throw them out. Hideous!
Looks like a prophylactic. Worse, it looks like an open ended prophylactic!

Dec 26th, '08, 01:16

by Pentox » Dec 26th, '08, 01:16

I remove mine, my parents/grandparents all keep theirs on. They even go to the extent to replace them every so often. Then again they keep that protective plastic that comes on most plastic surfaces on them (like remote controls and microwave oven controls)

Dec 26th, '08, 01:21

by Salsero » Dec 26th, '08, 01:21

Pentox wrote: They even go to the extent to replace them every so often.
Where do they get the replacements?

Dec 26th, '08, 01:23

by Pentox » Dec 26th, '08, 01:23

Salsero wrote:
Hm, Japanese grocery / hardware stores. I've seen them at a variety of places. Either that or they make their own. You can pretty much make them by just cutting a piece of clear aquarium tubing at a 45 degree angle. Or any other clear plastic tubing.

Dec 26th, '08, 01:27

by Space Samurai » Dec 26th, '08, 01:27

I throw mine away, too. I think they are meant for shipping, as I can't imagine its intended to leave them on all the time.

Dec 26th, '08, 01:28

by Victoria » Dec 26th, '08, 01:28

So far I have left mine on, but i have cut them down to fit more precisely.

Dec 26th, '08, 01:45

by murrius » Dec 26th, '08, 01:45

I threw out the one that came with my kyusu without a moments hesitation.

Dec 26th, '08, 02:53

by olivierco » Dec 26th, '08, 02:53

I threw them out.

By the way, I don't like the idea of my tea being in contact with plastic, especially without having any information at all about its composition.
Last edited by olivierco on Dec 26th, '08, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 26th, '08, 03:20

by Wesli » Dec 26th, '08, 03:20

Now that's just silly. :lol:

Dec 26th, '08, 09:54

by Chip » Dec 26th, '08, 09:54

Salsero wrote:
Silicone version. I have 2 kyusu with these silicone molded tips that are infinitely superior to the cut piece of tubing most come with, but this shows that they are also functional. They come in various colors. They look like they belong on the pot so much more so than the cut tubing.

Also, a recent purchase came with one that I found interesting. The craftsman went to the effort of matching the color of the tube to the pot somewhat.

Having minor chipped 2 of mine (the chip is tiny and on the outside of the tip of the spout in both cases and does not affect the pour, yet I am very aware of it being there nevertheless), I am reluctant to simply toss the tubes due to my past mistakes. The spout chips so easily as I found out.

Dec 26th, '08, 10:09

by Ed » Dec 26th, '08, 10:09

I threw mine out as well. They are actually supposed to prevent dribbling when you pour. They are just too ugly, like you all said.

Dec 26th, '08, 10:41

by Sam. » Dec 26th, '08, 10:41

Salsero wrote:I throw them out. Hideous!
Looks like a prophylactic. Worse, it looks like an open ended prophylactic!
That gave me a good laugh. I throw mine out as well, I wouldn't want my tea to taste like plastic.

Dec 26th, '08, 14:22

by chamekke » Dec 26th, '08, 14:22

One of my kyusu came with its rubber tip, and I've kept it on. Heresy apparently! I do find that it gives a good pour, and given that I've chipped the spouts on at least two of my pots previously, I deeply appreciate the prophylactic aspect (prophylactic does just mean "protection", after all) :-)

Mine hasn't stained to the point that it distresses me... but if someone wants to clean it so that it's clear again, I imagine that a dip in a bleach solution would help, followed by a very thorough rinse with water!

Dec 26th, '08, 15:40

by Chip » Dec 26th, '08, 15:40

chamekke wrote:One of my kyusu came with its rubber tip, and I've kept it on. Heresy apparently! I do find that it gives a good pour, and given that I've chipped the spouts on at least two of my pots previously, I deeply appreciate the prophylactic aspect (prophylactic does just mean "protection", after all) :-)

Mine hasn't stained to the point that it distresses me... but if someone wants to clean it so that it's clear again, I imagine that a dip in a bleach solution would help, followed by a very thorough rinse with water!
The molded silicone or rubber one is pretty decent in my book. The clear tube stuff is pretty bogus and most unattractive. Unfortunately, they don't sell the silicone ones at BBB :roll: or I may have them for most of my kyusu.

Until you chipped one (I have done this twice in momentary lapses in paying 100% attention to what I was doing), it is hard to understand the need, I guess. I am aware of the chips each time I use, or even look at the kyusu-s since now they fall short of perfection, and it is all my fault. :cry:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply