quick sencha question

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 28th, '09, 15:39

by cherylopal » Feb 28th, '09, 15:39

ErikaM wrote:Thanks, everyone! I gave it a go at 170* for 50 seconds and decided that this is one seriously good tea. It also smells amazingly good in a preheated pot.
Add me to the I Love YM club! :D The scent when opening the bag and in the warm pot- uuummmm I am enjoying my first steep in my hagi of my first brew made in my tokoname. I would have not even understood this sentence 2 months ago. Thanks to everyone on teachat esp chip for this amazing experience.

I used 3 gr leaf (its the scale baby) with 6 oz water from my new britta pitcher at 170F for 50. I think that I could go warmer/longer?? I am thinking I could get a bit more flavor. I'm also wondering if my water was really at 170F. This tea is good but I want a bit more intensity??

I am noticing while I'm enjoying my tea that the dogwood just outside my kitchen window is bud-ier than yesterday!! Go spring go!

Feb 28th, '09, 18:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 28th, '09, 18:18

If I said it once, I bet I said it 100 times here, YM is my all time fave sencha ... and I have tried a lot. Wait til you try shincha, assuming it is as good as last year's. Wowza.

If you want more intensity, try more leaf. I start at a ratio of .7 grams leaf to 1 ounce water, but have gone higher in leaf. You can also try more time. I would be reluctant to try hotter, but what the heck, I am one who is all for experimenting with parameters!!!

Glad I could be of some assistance, Cheryl. I have noticed buds are fattening up here as well. I need to prune my Japanese Maples very soon.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 1st, '09, 06:55

by cherylopal » Mar 1st, '09, 06:55

Chip wrote:If I said it once, I bet I said it 100 times here, YM is my all time fave sencha ... and I have tried a lot. Wait til you try shincha, assuming it is as good as last year's. Wowza.
yes C=YM !

Thanks for the extra help- my cup this morning is amazing! I added a bit extra leaf and made sure that my water was at 170. I think that was what the problem was last night- my water was not warm enough. This time I let the water go to closer to 200, stirred with a wooden spoon and then let cool to 170.

YUM!!

ETA- my second steep is even more amazing- so sweet both literally and figuratively- now cherylopal= ym too!

so this morning my dogwood is covered in snow :(

+ Post Reply