Questions about cold brewing greens

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 18th, '09, 12:33

Questions about cold brewing greens

by geeber1 » Jan 18th, '09, 12:33

Yesterday Nick posted a topic about ice brewing green tea and there was also some discussion about cold brewing also. I tried this last night with some Adagio Citron Green and it came out very well.

I have a couple of questions about cold brewing:

1. Which green teas are best suited for cold brewing?

2. If I have the leaves/water in my fridge overnight and strain the tea into a new pitcher, is it okay to cold brew them again? Or should I just throw them away?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

Jan 18th, '09, 13:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 18th, '09, 13:14

I am thinking everyone does this differently depending on their needs and teaware available. I like to brew a lot and use it over a couple days. I have a few Bodum Presses (but I do not press, just use the press top as a screen) from my early days of tea. I use a quart size one. I like to use Japanese greens, including sencha, gyokuo, kukicha, and sometimes blends of these (sometimes coated with matcha as well). However some Chinese greens like Dragon Well work pretty well, as well.

I will brew a concentrate in the Bodum, maybe 2 steeps, pour that into the gallon jug, and then fill with water. I use just a little honey, no more than a tablespoon, which acts as a preservative, otherwise the tea will oxidize and turn brown and bleh in the first day or even hours. With the honey it lasts days with no ill effect.

I usually brew with tap water that is pretty cool since I have a well, and brew for around 10 minutes on the kitchen counter, then resteep for 10+ minutes. I pour both of these into the gallon jug. For Chinese greens, longer steeps are fine.

I refill the Bodum a third time, amd place it in the fridge right away, and use this as a lower caffeine cold drink right out of the Bodum over the next day. Seems the 3rd steep is not prone to oxidation like the first 2 steeps.

I use up to 25 grams of leaf, and usually use Japanese greens that I am not enjoying hot, so it serves as a way to use tea that might not get used in a timely manner as well.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 18th, '09, 15:50

by Pentox » Jan 18th, '09, 15:50

My experience is primarily using japanese green teas for cold brewing, traditional or flavored. One thing I try to stay away from though is using a matcha laced or fukamushi for cold brewing as they leave a lot of sediment in the tea which changes it over the course of a day.

You can cold brew them again, but in my experience it's not advisable. Most of the flavor has left the leaves overnight and is in the first shot. Your second brew will be VERY weak in comparison. Normally I just throw them away.

As far as brewing with non-japanese green teas for cold brewing that's a bit harder. A lot of other teas I find have a harder time opening up and infusing in cold water. Yunnan gold was a perfect example of this that wouldn't open up and infuse without hot water. On the other hand silver needle opens up beautifully and makes a great iced tea that goes well with honey.

Jan 18th, '09, 17:58

by geeber1 » Jan 18th, '09, 17:58

Thanks guys! As usual, your advice will be very helpful.

I might start actually liking green teas now! :lol:

Jan 19th, '09, 12:08

by Shelob » Jan 19th, '09, 12:08

Like Geeber1 says
"Thanks for the advice", But I already love greens, this is just a new way to enjoy!
Seems like a little bit of a science, very unlike how I have done it. Will try these suggestions 8)
Have a FAB TeaDay Everyone!

+ Post Reply