Interesting

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 21st, '09, 01:33

Interesting

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jan 21st, '09, 01:33

Hey guys...perhaps you have tried this and I am out of the loop, but either way, I am going to share my experience. Late last night I decided to cold brew some Awacha which is a very "every day" Jap. green.....I brewed about 2 liters worth and went through most of it today and maybe had about 6oz of it left a few minutes ago......anyway, there are obviously a few leaf particles hanging out on the bottom of the container I brewed it in and I decided why not mix it up.......shake it around.......well, I shook that thing like there was no tomorrow just to see what would happen and the result was a very frothy and very creamy flavored tea....it tastes sweeter and very very creamy texture on the tongue and a nice foam head stays in my hagi yunomi all the way down to the bottom just like a good quality beer in a pilsner glass. Here is a pic...its hard to tell teh color of the foam but it is a very light hue of green......also, my new "Tea Cat" Hatteras wanted to taste it as well:

-Nick

Jan 21st, '09, 02:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 21st, '09, 02:24

Haven't tried the tea, but I have to say, that's a great shot!

Jan 21st, '09, 08:21

by Chip » Jan 21st, '09, 08:21

This was cold brewed, right?

Interesting, I wonder what else would do this. So, it was already brewed, and leaf out? I have some CB gyokuro in the fridge, might try it later.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 21st, '09, 15:47

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jan 21st, '09, 15:47

Yeah Chip---it was cold brewed and had already been strained through a filter and re-bottled. It is definitely quite interesting. It is amazing how much it changes the flavor and texture. Its not something I would do every day but it is definitely a nice change up and almost like getting two types of tea out of 1.

-Nick

Jan 21st, '09, 19:23

by tealing » Jan 21st, '09, 19:23

Newbie here - I do love the photo and kitty!!

Could I ask, what is a hagi yunomi ? Is it a type of kyusu (teapot?)?

And is Awacha a different type of tea or is it a brand? So far I've only learned a bit about what sencha/gyokuro/genmaicha and matcha are... though it looks like there is so much more to learn.

Thanks for sharing too :)

Jan 21st, '09, 19:36

by Chip » Jan 21st, '09, 19:36

tealing wrote:Newbie here - I do love the photo and kitty!!

Could I ask, what is a hagi yunomi ? Is it a type of kyusu (teapot?)?

And is Awacha a different type of tea or is it a brand? So far I've only learned a bit about what sencha/gyokuro/genmaicha and matcha are... though it looks like there is so much more to learn.

Thanks for sharing too :)
Awacha is a tea growing region and Awacha, named for this region, is steamed green tea consisting of usually larger leaf than typical sencha. It is generally milder in flavor. It is also not readily available to the west.

Yunomi is a Japanese teacup, Hagi is a distinct style, complete with its own "imperfections" and unique glazing that somewhat resembles melting icing.

Hagi Yunomi offered by Artistic Nippon.

Jan 22nd, '09, 14:59

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jan 22nd, '09, 14:59

I tried doing the same thing with some med. grade sencha and got pretty similar results.......I am going to try it with some Karigane tonight and see how that goes...

-Nick

Jan 22nd, '09, 15:35

by Shelob » Jan 22nd, '09, 15:35

Chip wrote:
tealing wrote:Newbie here - I do love the photo and kitty!!
Awacha is a tea growing region and Awacha, named for this region, is steamed green tea consisting of usually larger leaf than typical sencha. It is generally milder in flavor. It is also not readily available to the west.

Yunomi is a Japanese teacup, Hagi is a distinct style, complete with its own "imperfections" and unique glazing that somewhat resembles melting icing.

Hagi Yunomi offered by Artistic Nippon.
Oh your kitty is soooo adorable, and love the name; outer banks are really cool 8)
My BF loves to fish the Oregon Inlet down there!
and thanks for the advice on sencha
Have a FAB TeaDay Everyone!

Jan 23rd, '09, 01:29

by Oni » Jan 23rd, '09, 01:29

Probably your tea has started fermenting, maybe if leave it long eough you get tea - champagne.

Jan 23rd, '09, 20:35

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jan 23rd, '09, 20:35

Oni---it had the frothy texture becuase I shook it up.....the tea wasnt but 12 hours old......being stored in an air tight bottle in the fridge.

-Nick

+ Post Reply