Loose Leaf Tea in China

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 5th, '09, 14:35

Loose Leaf Tea in China

by boxdoc » Feb 5th, '09, 14:35

On a recent trip to China, I ordered green tea. It was served with loose leaves in hot water. Most of the leaves sank to the bottom but some floated on top. It was delightful. I could chew the leaves that floated. Every few minutes the waitress would add more hot water. Now, I drink all my tea that way. Does anyone else have experience with that method of brewing?

Feb 5th, '09, 15:13

by raveme » Feb 5th, '09, 15:13

that pretty much is the way tea is really brewed... but with green tea, the leaves should be separated after a while from the tea, or it becomes bitter. for that you can use a gaiwan (that's a lidded cup, in which you've been probably served in china), an infuser, paper filters, etc..

btw.. welcome

Feb 5th, '09, 15:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Feb 5th, '09, 15:28

This technique is most often called Glass Brewing, though in TeaChat you will also see it called Grandfather or Grandpa Style after MarshalN's explanation about the Chinese traditional approach.

Feb 5th, '09, 17:16
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 5th, '09, 17:16

I drink most Chinese green in grandpa style all the time :D I use a small gaiwan only when I want to brew smaller amount.

I don't like eating tea leaves though :P If I catch some in my mouth, I would remove it. For most Chinese green teas, if the water temperature is right and tea leaves are good, there shouldn't be many floating leaves. But that's only ideal situation. When I brew my grade 2 teas, usually the floating ones are leaves that are too big, broken, or with too much stem attached.

Glass brewing is used a lot in upscale tea houses as well. In China, most tea drinkers would prefer using glass brewing for teas like dragonwell and huang shan mao feng. But in a formal situation, water is only added when there is 1/3 tea water left in the glass. And most green tea will go for at the most 3 infusions, not a whole day. When I treat friends at home, I would feel I am mean if I let them brew the same cup of green tea for more than 3 infusions :P But when I drink by myself I would go for 4-5 infusions, or even more (but the "more" will be mainly leftover infusions).

For most Chinese green teas, if the tea is not supposed to be bitter, you won't get them bitter even by leaving the tea in water for hours. But office drinkers and taxi driver drinkers tend to use a lot of leaves (so that the tea can last for a whole day), then the tea may get a little bitter. And that would be informal drinking.
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Feb 5th, '09, 18:04

by Salsero » Feb 5th, '09, 18:04

Another great delivery of info, Gingko, thanks!

Feb 5th, '09, 18:09

by raveme » Feb 5th, '09, 18:09

never tried steeping chinese green tea over specified time... i had some unfortunate experiences with japanese greens. but good to know that they don't get bitter :D

Feb 5th, '09, 18:51

by Salsero » Feb 5th, '09, 18:51

raveme wrote:never tried steeping chinese green tea over specified time... i had some unfortunate experiences with japanese greens. but good to know that they don't get bitter
Keep your water quite cool ~ 130° F and you should be good. Using very hot water is far more likely to give you a nasty time.

Feb 6th, '09, 11:15

by Chip » Feb 6th, '09, 11:15

I don't know why I have never tried this ... seems like a gap in my resume or something. 8)

I am just going to do it today ... or tomorrow ...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 6th, '09, 19:07

by Chowfarn » Feb 6th, '09, 19:07

I was never a big green tea drinker - but I have been converted.
But I recently just come back from China - where I spent a week in Anhui Provence.

The green tea there (I think its call Mao Jian) with its very long leaves is just perfect for 'Grandpa' tea - & sipping all day.
I did bring back some "Huang Shan Monkey" - which is great.

Feb 7th, '09, 11:09

by chrl42 » Feb 7th, '09, 11:09

gingko wrote:For most Chinese green teas, if the water temperature is right and tea leaves are good, there shouldn't be many floating leaves. But that's only ideal situation. When I brew my grade 2 teas, usually the floating ones are leaves that are too big, broken, or with too much stem attached.
I don't quite agree, most leaves sink when water gets hotter.

I also think fresher leaves tend to float than sink but differs on which kind. (I think it has to do with making)

Teas like Tai Ping Hou Kui, Biluochun, Lushan Yunwu, Gaoshan Yunwu etc they tend to sink

But teas like Zhu Ye Qing, Long Jing, Silver Needle, Huangshan Maofeng, it will float, the spring teas.

Just my opinion.

Feb 7th, '09, 12:25
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 7th, '09, 12:25

chrl42 wrote:
gingko wrote:For most Chinese green teas, if the water temperature is right and tea leaves are good, there shouldn't be many floating leaves. But that's only ideal situation. When I brew my grade 2 teas, usually the floating ones are leaves that are too big, broken, or with too much stem attached.
I don't quite agree, most leaves sink when water gets hotter.

I also think fresher leaves tend to float than sink but differs on which kind. (I think it has to do with making)

Teas like Tai Ping Hou Kui, Biluochun, Lushan Yunwu, Gaoshan Yunwu etc they tend to sink

But teas like Zhu Ye Qing, Long Jing, Silver Needle, Huangshan Maofeng, it will float, the spring teas.

Just my opinion.
I think I understand most of what you said. I agree that the hotter water is, the easier for the leaves to sink.

Teas like Zhu Ye Qing, Long Jing and Mao Feng, I think it's possible to give them a water temperature that's not too hot to kill them but hot enough to make them sink (eventually, but drinking may start before they all sink :P ). The spring tea buds, when they float in a "standing" pose, they will sink soon.

And sometimes people "don't have a heart" to give too hot water to the young tender leaves (actually the tender leaves do deserve gentle treat :D), then it's time for gaiwan to show off its function:D When I use lower water temperature, I would use a gaiwan, and then use the lid to wave away floating leaves. I guess that's what you mean when the leaves don't sink. But I have to admit that when I use a glass mug, sometimes, in order for the convenience of drinking, I may treat the leaves a bit (just a bit) cruelly by giving them slightly hotter water :P

And for silver needle, I usually just use very hot water, and patiently wait till they sink (may take several minutes) before drinking :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

+ Post Reply