Hibiki-an Pinnacle Matcha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 9th, '09, 04:11

Hibiki-an Pinnacle Matcha

by xuancheng » Feb 9th, '09, 04:11

I just recieved my small tin of Hibiki-an pinnacle Match, and the Kanji on the can reads Tenju, the same Kanji as are on the highest quality Matcha from MARUKYU KOYAMAEN.

Does anyone know if this is the same tea, or is tenju just commonly used name for the highest quality Matcha a farm or company produces?

I guess I would know more or less if it was the same tea if I opened them both up and compared them, but I would rather finish one first and then open the other if they were the same tea.
茶也醉人何必酒?

Feb 9th, '09, 05:52

by Oni » Feb 9th, '09, 05:52

Marukyu Koyamaen produces their own tea, but on the otherhand it might be possible that they buy tea from other farms in Uji as well, after each spring harvest, there is an aracha market, where teahouses buy tea, and famous teashops make their own blends from the same supplier each year.
It would be interestin to find out that it is the same matcha, this is the picture of Tenju

And that would mean that Marukyu Koyamaen sells it more expencieve, or that it only bears the same name, or that each shop calls their highest grade matcha Tenju, just like most shops in japan call their top sencha Shuppin (exhibition) grade.

Feb 9th, '09, 11:35

by xuancheng » Feb 9th, '09, 11:35

Oni wrote: And that would mean that Marukyu Koyamaen sells it more expencieve, or that it only bears the same name, or that each shop calls their highest grade matcha Tenju, just like most shops in japan call their top sencha Shuppin (exhibition) grade.
When I convert the price in Japanese Yen to USD on google, the Marukyu Koyamaen is 45.83, slightly more expensive than Hibiki-an at $45 USD, but when you consider the fact the Hibiki an offers 50% more(30g as opposed to 20g) at the same price which automatically makes you eligible for free shipping, it is kind of obvious which is the right choice... If in fact it is the same tea.
茶也醉人何必酒?

Feb 10th, '09, 02:29

by xuancheng » Feb 10th, '09, 02:29

I got my answer.
Hibiki-an wrote:Tenju (天授)is a name that is often used for high quality tea in Japan.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had Tenju Matcha from other companies. I really want to try my 2 Tenjus, but having come down with a cold, it will have to be put off again.

Feb 10th, '09, 03:14

by Oni » Feb 10th, '09, 03:14

Just like shuppin cha, not every shuppin cha is the same, but all tend to be the mark of higher quality, that calmed me down to know that they aren`t the same matcha, I have more left to explore.

+ Post Reply