Matcha for cooking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 8th, '09, 17:22

Matcha for cooking?

by ryux » Mar 8th, '09, 17:22

Hi everyone,

I love matcha ice cream but unfortunately, where I live, I can't get any other than from sushi restaurants. I do have an ice cream maker and I wanna make my own matcha ice cream.

Any suggestions/recommandations on matcha for cooking purposes? (like ice-cream, cake, matcha latte, etc). What vendors/items did you find great?

Thanks a lot for your help! :D

Mar 8th, '09, 17:35

by zacstill » Mar 8th, '09, 17:35

I have used ito en brand matcha that I bought at wegmans to make green tea ice cream and matcha lattes, and it's great for the price.
I bought a 20g container for around 7 bucks.
I did a straight up taste test when I got home, preparing it the same way as I make my regular matcha in the morning.
There is more bitterness, duller color (both the broth and the powder), and less sweetness with this brand but it makes a great food-grade tea for me.

My roommate and I used his soccer ball ice cream maker to make the ice cream, and it came out very very good, better than my local teahouse.
http://housewares.about.com/od/gadgetst ... eze_RO.htm

I tried finding this brand of matcha online just now, but I cant find a link to it anywhere, not through ito en or wegmans...

Mar 8th, '09, 19:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 8th, '09, 19:42

I use matcha a lot in cooking, etc. But I tend to use what I have around especially as a matcha has been open a while and needs to be used up (however I have not had this problem as of late).

I think some of the lower priced ones are excellent for these uses as they tend to have a sharper flavor profile than more costly ones. The more costly ones can be a little too "soft" in flavor to compete with other flavors once blended.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 8th, '09, 20:23

by woozl » Mar 8th, '09, 20:23

Is matcha made from only first flush teas?
Or is it made more frequently from other fresher tea?
I understand as a powder form it has a short shelf life.
If I buy matcha now, early spring, what is it processed from?
Last years tencha??
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Mar 9th, '09, 11:59

by Pentox » Mar 9th, '09, 11:59

I'd just use the cooking grade matcha stuff. A lot of vendors will have their ingredient grade / cooking grade stuff.

Lupicia, Hibiki-an, Matcha Source all have some and come to mind off of the top of my head. (Matcha Source it appears is only by the kilo though. I wouldn't get that much)

+ Post Reply