Jan 22nd, '06, 11:21

why are westerners not attracted completely to green tea

by markwb » Jan 22nd, '06, 11:21

obviously more recently westerners are becoming more aware of the potential health benefits of green tea. thus making it more available in markets other than the asian market.

however even though this is true, a very small oercentage of green tea is consumed outside the asian market. what is it that westerners arent relating to, is it the flavours?, the packaging? the health benefits are consistently being pointed out, what is it that makes it less popular than black tea ?

Jan 22nd, '06, 11:59

by vbguy772 » Jan 22nd, '06, 11:59

Interesting question there Mark. While I am hardly an expert I, do have some opinions. I've done a great deal of reading about the health benefits of tea in the last 6 months. My conclusion is that the health benefits of green tea are not really that superior to the health benefits of other teas. Greens might be a little better than the blacks for some things, while white teas might be better than the greens for other things. For me, I have still not found a green tea that I enjoy. I do understand that many people actually prefer the greens. I stick with the black and white teas. It's just a question of personal taste I guess. When the research really got started on tea it was done in the Orient - hence green tea was used. Newer research clearly indicated the health benefits of all teas. Much of the research is old and only points to the benefits of the greens, but if you start digging deeper into the more current information I think you might find that drinking any tea has its benefits, just like the greens. Hope this helps.

Happy sipping...............

Ron

Jan 22nd, '06, 19:02

by librarianpirate » Jan 22nd, '06, 19:02

Americans have a tendency to be lazy and stuck in our ways. I say this with love, being a bit of a lazy American myself. We also tend to like things the way we like them and we don't want anyone messing with them. I have so many friends who love Liptons and when I try to give them just some plain black ceylon or even a fun flavored tea they recoil even at the thought!

I don't think it has much to do with greens themselves - I love them, personally. More just to do with our mindset.

Jan 22nd, '06, 20:23

by garden gal » Jan 22nd, '06, 20:23

I hated green teas even though I did try to gulp them down only because they were "good" for me. I meant to press the herbal with my ingenuitea but ordered green by mistake. I read the instructions on brewing, went ahead and tried the spiced green. So totally different than the stuff in bags at the health food store. I have tried them all and have not found one I didn't like. I drank bagged tea my whole life, made green the same way I did the lipton's or celestial seasonings- boiled the water until it was steaming, put the bags in and came to get them out when I remembered them (the same way my mom did and everyone I knew). Education is the biggest obstacle- a new trinitea for everyone!!

Jan 22nd, '06, 21:37

by AlTeavious » Jan 22nd, '06, 21:37

I had to drink 3 boxes of 20 tea bags before I liked green tea... in many cases it just depends on what you were raised with I think.

Jan 23rd, '06, 00:45

by PeteVu » Jan 23rd, '06, 00:45

ill agree with teavious. I think it has alot to do on what you were raised on.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jan 23rd, '06, 20:19

by mijako10 » Jan 23rd, '06, 20:19

That's a good question... I've always liked Green Tea and used to drink it all the time from tea bags but now that I've gone whole leaf I'm not sure I could go back.

I think it's the flavor that most people aren't attracted too. People these days are attracted to strong, vibrant flavors that most pure greens just don't deliver. And I know quite a few people who just don't like the flavor of green tea at all.
~If you can shape it in your mind you will find it in your life~

My fortune cookie fell in my tea! *sob*

Jan 23rd, '06, 21:11

by teaspoon » Jan 23rd, '06, 21:11

I agree with everybody that's said that greens don't offer as strong a flavor. I think a lot of people are so used to such strongly flavored foods and drinks in this area of the world that green tea is too subtle to be properly appreciated. That's not to say that everyone in the west underappreciates green tea, but I think there are so many tea drinkers who fall into the category of people who want something good and strong that black remains the preferred tea. Just a theory.

Also, speaking from experience, it's fairly easy to overbrew green tea and thus make it bitter. But maybe that's just me.

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jan 24th, '06, 00:49

by Ghost of Tea » Jan 24th, '06, 00:49

I am sad for my weak taste-buds. I have to drink strong teas or I barely taste it...so subtle flavors are often lost on me. That's why I usually drink Lapsang and Earl Grey.
"Smash you good! Dead you be!" -from Tadeira

Jan 24th, '06, 10:09

by rhpot1991 » Jan 24th, '06, 10:09

In my opinion its because westerners think of black tea as tea. The only reason green tea has started to pop up in super markets is because of the older studies on its health benefits. How many super markets do you know that have white or oolongs? Human beings are afraid of change, and most westerners were raised on black tea, so this new founded green/white/oolong tea scares them and they go back to their lipton.

-John

Jan 24th, '06, 10:26

by jogrebe » Jan 24th, '06, 10:26

I think the biggest problem with Green tea and Americans is the total lack of education as to date Adagio has been the only tea company that tells you right on the package not to use boiling water. Thus if one does not know how to properly prepare something, no wonder why they dismiss green tea as being bitter.
teaspoon wrote:Also, speaking from experience, it's fairly easy to overbrew green tea and thus make it bitter. But maybe that's just me.
Yes I agree teaspoon, I've never been able to make a cup of green tea that turned out when you make it the way that you are supposed to make it according to Adagio. While, I've never bothered to buy a thermometer to make sure that my water is close to the point that it should be. Still at the same time using my own method, which is to use half a teaspoon in boiling water for around 1-2 minutes gets good green tea for me. (I actually got the idea from a thing of white tea teabags which told you to use boiling water and brew for 30 to 60 seconds.)
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jan 24th, '06, 12:35

by procarel » Jan 24th, '06, 12:35

I got into green teas a few years ago primarily for the health benefits but have come to enjoy them very much as well as several varieties of white tea. One that I purchased called Emerald Cloud didn't appeal to me at all but after a while it became one of my favorites. I tend to buy larger quantities to save on shipping (pound foolish - penny wise) so sometimes I have a quantity of tea that is not my favorite but it is interesting how your taste for a tea can change with time. I really enjoy experiencing the many subtle differences in flavor and color! I am definitely going to take advantage of the samples Adagio has to offer. What a great company.

Jan 27th, '06, 18:33

by javyn » Jan 27th, '06, 18:33

I have gotten into tea heavily the last two years, not totally for health reasons, but to sublimate my tobacco addiction that I recently halted. Naturally I started out preferring the black teas, but have since moved on to white tea and love it. So much for me not liking green tea because it lacks a bold flavor, if I can enjoy delicate whites so much! I don't know what it is about green tea that I don't like, but it is definately something. Looking at the loose leaf, it certainly LOOKS like it should be the most delicious tea there is, yet once it hits my palette, some serious rejection takes place. It is the same with Oolong for me as well. I tried Ti Kwan Yin and was not a fan.

I'd still like to give green another chance, but am afraid to make any purchases now. I know a lot of people recommend the flavored varieties for beginners, but I'd rather not go that route, I want to taste the tea not some flavoring. At this point I'll just stick with Black Darjeelings and Silver Needles.
John

Feb 1st, '06, 10:49

green tea

by markwb » Feb 1st, '06, 10:49

well first of all thanks for the replies.

i do agree that it has alot to do with the upbringing of people whether they will like the flavours of green teas or not. perhaps in is possible to start making that a trend in western cultures to have your children drink more green tea when they are younger.

a also agree with the fact that people are resistant to change. they are traditional and if not brought up on green tea they will find it alien in the future to even try it.

does anyone ever purchase the cold green tea beverages in convenience stores or supermarkets. premade flavoured green teas ? these obviously dont hold the same extreme health beneftis as whole leaf green tea, but can be significantly healthier in the long term than drinking nestea or lipton ice teas which contain high amounts of Brix content (water to sucrose content)

+ Post Reply