Yunnan Sourcing "Official" Ool, Wht/Yllw and Puerh Tea Topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Jan 19th, '10, 20:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Yunnan Sourcing "Official" Ool, Wht/Yllw and Puerh Tea Topic

by Chip » Jan 19th, '10, 20:33

Yunnan Sourcing was nominated and confirmed for our TeaVendor Guide under the Oolong, White/Yellow, and Pu-erh categories. If you would like to nominate them to other categories, you may do this, otherwise limit discussion to their Oolong, White/Yellow, and Pu-erh Tea offerings. Thank you! :D

NEW! Official Oolong, White/Yellow, and Pu-erh Tea Vendor Guide for Yunnan Sourcing
Consider this a perennial topic for Oolong, White/Yellow, and Pu-erh teas from Yunnan Sourcing to discuss and review.

Oolong: http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/cat ... category=9
White/Yellow: http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/cat ... category=7
Pu-erh: http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/cat ... ry=6634494

"New" YunnanSourcing.US with a more limited offering. http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/

Official Oolong, White/Yellow, and Pu-erh Tea Vendor Guide. Let's see what happens with this wild and crazy idea. You can view
the main Oolong TeaVendor Guide here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 02#p141802
and the main White/Yellow TeaVendor Guide here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 00#p141800
and the main Pu-erh TeaVendor Guide here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11929
and the main TeaVendor Guide here: http://www.teachat.com/viewforum.php?f=60

Jan 20th, '10, 21:03
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Yunnan Sourcing "Official" Pu-erh Tea Topic

by TomVerlain » Jan 20th, '10, 21:03

I am surprised no one has written anything for this seller, as he is certainly well mentioned in many threads through out the pu'erh forum.

He made his mark with his eBay store, which is still up and about (over 3500 feedbacks), and just recently launched his own website to provide lower prices (sans eBay fees).

If you are looking for a tong of the latest Meng Hai Dayi offerings, this is an excellent place to find it. I know, I bought some '08 8582 last year for under $10.00 a cake. SAL or EMS shipping is available. I usually try and save up for a larger order and use SAL for the most savings. 3-5 weeks can seem like a life time waiting for tea, but it is pretty economical. EMS is 3-7 days, but costs significantly more (28% to 92% more depending on weight)

He has a very large selection, with lots of factories represented. There are a variety of years, though they are focused on more recent years than the 10-20 year old teas.

Jan 22nd, '10, 13:35

Re: Yunnan Sourcing "Official" Oolong and Pu-erh Tea Topic

by Oni » Jan 22nd, '10, 13:35

I suspect he collects the great vintages and old puerh, I wanted to buy a yiwu, yong pin hao from 2002, YS said it is arguably the best yiwu cake they ever sold, and now it is gone, so I think that cakes entered a collection.

Jan 22nd, '10, 22:44

by Maitre_Tea » Jan 22nd, '10, 22:44

Here is the official review thread for Yunnan Sourcing reviews, though it hasn't been updated in a while: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=5417

Scott has some amazing prices, and if you've been thinking that buying off Tao Bao would be cheaper, well it won't be for most things. His EMS rates are pretty good too, and if you're looking for some suggestions he is always glad to list his favorites, though his taste may differ from yours.

If you're looking something in particular, I suspect he might be able to find it for you and special-order it, since he's in the "heartland" of Pu-erh. A good choice for those who want to stock up on 5+ cakes.

Jan 29th, '10, 09:10

by Jack_teachat » Jan 29th, '10, 09:10

Fast becoming my favourite vendor, awesome selection of Pu-erh and some fantastically priced oolong, red and white teas, have also heard good things about their greens! :D

Jan 31st, '10, 09:46

by tatsumi09 » Jan 31st, '10, 09:46

Placed a large order containing various oolongs, ripe and raw puer, green and black teas, and I could not have been happier. There is yet a single tea that I have to try that I didn't like. I also loved the tea accessories they sell. Got a beautiful gaiwan at an amazing price and the tool that helps break puer teas (which was both cheap and extremely useful, not to mention pretty!)

Scott's communication is also great. Initially he did not have my country on the website's checkout, and in less than 24 hours he added it per my request. I'm still going through my tea stock (which will take a lot of months to go through) and I can't wait to place a second order (now that I've experimented with various teas).

Feb 11th, '10, 21:17

by kymidwife » Feb 11th, '10, 21:17

I got a recent order with a nice variety of oolongs, silver needles, and bi luo chun, as well as some yixing pots. I've liked everything I've tried so far... silver needles was above average, bi luo chun was the best I've had... Fancy TGY pretty good, and I am looking forward to trying the Premium... and while I know next to nothing about dan congs... the honey orchid is realling wowing me... fantastic aroma, and delicious. Yummm.

Sarah

Feb 12th, '10, 01:44

by Oni » Feb 12th, '10, 01:44

I recently ordered from YS all their top oolongs, I am really curious about their light fired Wu Yi, plus YPH puerhs. And they also have samples from all thier puerhs, so this is a great way to get to know diffrent puers, I plan on exploring a few puers 25 grams at a time. The only thing YS seems to lack is the category of aged puerh, but aged puerh is a rare thing to come by.

Mar 10th, '10, 22:56

Re: Yunnan Sourcing "Official" Ool, Wht/Yllw and Puerh Tea Topic

by debunix » Mar 10th, '10, 22:56

Got my first package from Yunnan Sourcing the other day, and while I've barely scratched the surface, I am very pleased. After reading a thread about the difficulty of obtaining high-quality Oriental Beauty tea, I tried his Yunnan Oriental Beauty, and have been quite pleased by the mellow peachy sweetness. I've also tried the first Puerh from that order (2007 Menghai "Golden Needle White Lotus" Ripe Pu-erh Tea brick), and am impressed by how well the descriptions match my experience of the tea. I was updated frequently by Scott on my order status, and the tea arrived as expected. Can't ask for more than that, except a few more friends to help me drink it faster so I can try more!

Mar 18th, '10, 17:05

by Geekgirl » Mar 18th, '10, 17:05

I'm planning on placing an order with YS, (teapot I can't resist :) ) and I'm looking for recommendations on a few puerh samples I should try. I'd like to sample 2-4 aged ripe and/or aged sheng. Smooth and mellow is the name of the game. I've got about $25 total budgeted for the sample selections. Your picks?

(chip, if this is not the place for this query, please don't hesitate to break it off to a new topic. Won't hurt my feelers. Thanks!)

Mar 18th, '10, 21:05

by debunix » Mar 18th, '10, 21:05

I just tasted three puerhs from YC last weekend, and posted about them in the puerh topic

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=322

I can recommend any of these as mellow and smooth. Also amazingly smooth is the 2007 Menghai "Golden Needle White Lotus" Ripe Pu-erh. I am thus recommending four out of four puerhs I got from them so far. Pretty good hit rate!

Apr 1st, '10, 11:03

by chicagopotter » Apr 1st, '10, 11:03

Just got my first order from YS today. Picked up the 130ml Shui Ping and a couple Douji 75gm-ers. The pot really is a beauty and think will use it for yancha. Scott threw in a nice little strainer and a couple YS puerh samples. Pretty awesome experience with this vendor!

Apr 1st, '10, 11:55

by Geekgirl » Apr 1st, '10, 11:55

Did you get the Hong Ni pot or the Da Hong Pao? I just got two pots from him, as well as 9- 25g samples (some of the samples feel like a bit more than that.) I bought 7 samples, he threw in two. They are tasty. Everyone I've shared them with has enjoyed the teas.

My little teapots are sweet. I'm really happy with them, I think the workmanship and clay is quite nice for the price.

Apr 1st, '10, 12:50

by chicagopotter » Apr 1st, '10, 12:50

I got the Hong Ni and agree that for a $22 pot, the workmanship is pretty nice. Which pots did you get?

Apr 1st, '10, 13:31

by Geekgirl » Apr 1st, '10, 13:31

The 110ml dragon egg Da Hong Pao. It's delightful! I also got the Da Hong Pao with the little scroll carvings around the mouth and lid. It's listed at 185ml, which was larger than I wanted, but I just loved the shape and carvings so much. The pot I received is actually just a tiny bit over 160ml. (poured into a 160ml measuring cup it fills the cup + a nice surface tension bubble, so maybe 165ml max?)

I'm so pleased with both pots, they have a nice feel in the hand, and are very functional. When tapped they have a nice ping, although not quite as ringing as some of the other very high quality high fired pots that some have shared, certainly far beyond the low-fire clink of the other pots I have been using. The pour is smooth, although not as fast as I was expecting, definitely not slow. They both have a flat multi-hole filter, as I have come to prefer.

They are perhaps a bit darker in color than I expected, although now that I check it at home on my color-corrected monitor, I would say the images are highly accurate.

I asked Scott a number of questions before placing my order. He was (as expected,) responsive, helpful and courteous. Having a very nice little shop here in town, I don't place many online orders for chinese teas or wares, I have very little need to do so, but I will certainly be back to YS next time I'm on the hunt for a new pot or puerh teas. I wish all transactions were as easy.

+ Post Reply