Shameless capitalism, is TeaChat ready?

Check out members who are in the business of TEA/teaware!

Yes
66%
No
12%
The Moderator has gone nutz!
14%
No opinion
8%

Total votes: 59

Jan 19th, '10, 17:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 19th, '10, 17:50

See the topic which I have placed under TeaMerchandiser. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=11999
Chip wrote:I doubt if Coolate is going to make a bazillion bucks on this thing, still interesting nevertheless. Under the current forum "rules" such a post would be a violation, clearly.

But in the process, I find myself making a unilateral choice for everyone almost on a daily basis.

So, see the stickie topic above, "Shameless capitalism, is TeaChat ready?" and carefully consider this subject, then vote in the poll.

Ultimately, I will not be making the decision on this "big picture" subject on my own, but along with opinions from members, I will also discuss this one with forum sponsor/owner Adagio.
OK, this is a hot potato! I am "considering" this possibility. It would be at the full discretion of the Moderator what to allow and what to delete. Specific guidelines would be required.

First one, must be an active member for at least 6 months, so no newb spamming.

Must be a tea related item.

AND, a poster to this TeaMerchandiser forum would face immediate suspension of all forum priviledges upon posting self promoting post(s) outside of the TM forum as well as deletion of all self promoting posts including the legal ones in TM.

Other that that, I am really just exploring the possibility. But for possibly too long, the current rule has shut off innovation from TCers and the forum, possibly hindering the forum in an overprotective way.

So, what say you TCers?

Jan 19th, '10, 18:55

Re: Shameless capitalism, is TeaChat ready?

by Chip » Jan 19th, '10, 18:55

Oh, although I have not blocked new topics to this forum, please, no new topics at this time. But please do post replies!

Thanks.

Chip
Immoderate TeaDrinker who happens to Moderate

Jan 19th, '10, 19:38

by brandon » Jan 19th, '10, 19:38

Yes.

Jan 19th, '10, 20:46

YOU'RE NUTZ!!

by bsteele » Jan 19th, '10, 20:46

...but I like it. So even though I had to vote nuts, I say YES!

Jan 19th, '10, 21:42

by timseeclay » Jan 19th, '10, 21:42

I haven't been here long enough to have a real opinion, but just like the teaware artisans, if you corral the post to one area it is easily avoided by those who do not wish to be bothered by the topic. And likewise gives those who want to be exposed to online marketing a place to find new products and such from those who are involved in marketing it. I could see it be a great benefit to companies that want to get their products in front of serious tea people not only for exposure but to hear and see what they think. Referring back the the teaware artisans, there is a great resource for tea drinkers and those who make things to drink tea from. It does seem to be a bit of a conflict with Adiago.
Tim

Jan 19th, '10, 22:01
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 19th, '10, 22:01

I would say nutz :P
But if shameless capitalists are required to distribute free samples (TM tax?) then I will re-think :lol:

Jan 20th, '10, 08:01

by JBaymore » Jan 20th, '10, 08:01

I think Tim summed it up nicely above.

How does our TC sponsor feel bout this though? Serious conflict of interest.

best,

................john

Jan 20th, '10, 09:11

by Chip » Jan 20th, '10, 09:11

Chip wrote:Ultimately, I will not be making the decision on this "big picture" subject on my own, but along with opinions from members, I will also discuss this one with forum sponsor/owner Adagio.
Conflict of interest, maybe/maybe not, but the forum has never been a "rubber stamp" for Adagio, it has been about just about anything tea as well as promoting tea. However, they would certainly be in the loop on this one. TBH, I don't think ownership has ever said no which says something about the ownership. They are about full empowerment, and then supporting and backing off.

And Adagio has always desired for TC to be the best tea forum on the net. After a rapid rise for several years and after adjustments were made regarding dealing with spam, I feel the forum is equiped and ready to handle it. Certainly as I mentioned, a special set of "guidelines" along with strict enforcement would need to be in place. Chaos will NOT reign here. :mrgreen:

I personally like the idea, but am quite honestly asking for member input because I want members to be a part of the process and to have a say in such matters, as I always have ...

The name would likely be changed, because this will not be targeted specifically at vendors of tea.

Jan 20th, '10, 19:09

by Seeker » Jan 20th, '10, 19:09

Yes, and perhaps an interesting experiment?
Suggest you put in a disclaimer that TC doesn't endorse any of the products marketed and other such protective measures. :)

Jan 20th, '10, 20:11

by Chip » Jan 20th, '10, 20:11

Seeker wrote:Yes, and perhaps an interesting experiment?
Suggest you put in a disclaimer that TC doesn't endorse any of the products marketed and other such protective measures. :)
Absolutely!!! Thanks.

Jan 20th, '10, 20:26

by coolate » Jan 20th, '10, 20:26

Wow I did not expect such a ruckus. Right I defiantly do not expect to make much if any money with the app. I really wanted to post it on here because I had gotten so much help from the members and responses to other posts I had made. I have put a TON of time in the app especially the tea how to's and info section and I wanted to see what other tea lovers thought. I have worked on it for over a month. The app is $1, with all the developer, listing fees, and sales cut palm takes, I will have to sell 75 or more copies to just break even. So far I have sold 9. I'm not sure if I would go so far as to call it shameless. I wanted to get feed back and share with others my creation, love or hate it, ESPECIALLY on here. I find it frustrating that programers are seldom considered artists, even though, apps contain presentations, a messages, graphics, and passion. I guess it should have gone in the section for hand made tea equipment? Maybe Adagio could hire me or just buy out the app from me and rebrand it, so it would get a wider audience? ;) At any rate sorry to offend or break any rules, I mearly was proud and wanted to share my creation with the tea world.
-Andy

Jan 20th, '10, 20:31

by Chip » Jan 20th, '10, 20:31

I thought your post/link/product served as an interesting case study. Technically, it is a violation of the forum rules. And if I break it for one, then I have to explain why I won't for the next guy ... and the next. I also get uncomfortable making subjective judgements. So, I would in all likelhood pulled the post.

So, thanks for allowing us to use your post in order to illustrate the topic. Hopefully, you get a little extra exposure as a result. :wink:

By the way, I did PM you to give you a heads up on this.

Jan 23rd, '10, 14:29

by Symmetry » Jan 23rd, '10, 14:29

I think it would be a completely new direction for TeaChat...and overall, a good one I think. It would give more exposure to both buyers and sellers, and would help get the word out through a convenient channel (especially about things that can't really be sold on eBay or Amazon or what have you; the WebOS app is a perfect example).

Feb 21st, '10, 17:45

by Thistledown » Feb 21st, '10, 17:45

So glad you all are trying to come up with a solution that works for the 'self promotion' post. I have seen posts where the author is lamenting the lack of a "super-duper-tea-widget"; I happen to make super-duper-tea-widgets, but I can't post about them ....dang!
Idea: As a vendor I would ideally like to be able to post in the regular discussion pages, BUT as a user of TeaChat, I appreciate the absence of commercials. Is it possible to do something like have a discreet icon attached to the regular post indicating that there is a related commercial post in the "Shameless Capitalism" section?
Another idea: perhaps you can offer a service similar to TeaMap to vendors.
regards,
Annelise

Feb 28th, '10, 18:51

by horsencl » Feb 28th, '10, 18:51

I think that as others have said, if it is kept in a controlled manner (a la TeawareArtisans) then I think it is a natural step for our forum to take.

+ Post Reply