Dec 9th, '14, 15:46

Tead Off, TEAWARE ONLINE

by debunix » Dec 9th, '14, 15:46

If I were a sake drinker...

Jan 16th, '15, 03:37

Re: Tead Off, TEAWARE ONLINE

by Tead Off » Jan 16th, '15, 03:37

NEW WORK FROM KIM EUNG CHUL!!

We have our first new offerings from Eung Chul for the New Year. He continues to impress us with his creativity and care in crafting some of his best work, IMO.

We have a selection of teapots and servers using unrefined porcelain with and without biotite, and glazed with shino, red chrome, and gyunyo glazes. All are reduction fired except the red chrome glazed work, which is oxidation fired.

For those who are not familiar with gyunyo glaze, this is the Korean word Jun or Chun in Chinese, using copper glaze. These glazes were developed during the Song dynasty. I have written in the descriptions whether the teapots are glazed or unglazed in the interior. Please pay attention to the descriptions when you mouse over the first photo of each item on dropbox.

The unglazed porcelain clay that Eung Chul uses is terrific for many types of tea. Green teas, both Japanese/Korean, are lovely in these pots. The unrefined porcelain seems to broaden the spectrum of flavor noticeably, at least to me, (am I dreaming?). Even roasted teas can benefit from this clay.

Please take a look [url=We have our first new offerings from Eung Chul for the New Year. He continues to impress us with his creativity and care in crafting some of his best work, IMO.

We have a selection of teapots and servers using unrefined porcelain with and without biotite, and glazed with shino, red chrome, and gyunyo glazes. All are reduction fired except the red chrome glazed work, which is oxidation fired.

For those who are not familiar with gyunyo glaze, this is the Korean word Jun or Chun in Chinese, using copper glaze. These glazes were developed during the Song dynasty. I have written in the descriptions whether the teapots are glazed or unglazed in the interior. Please pay attention to the descriptions when you mouse over the first photo of each item on dropbox.

The unglazed porcelain clay that Eung Chul uses is terrific for many types of tea. Green teas, both Japanese/Korean, are lovely in these pots. The unrefined porcelain seems to broaden the spectrum of flavor noticeably, at least to me, (am I dreaming?). Even roasted teas can benefit from this clay.

Please take a look here.

Feb 23rd, '15, 23:40

by Tead Off » Feb 23rd, '15, 23:40

NEW GAIWAN AND HOHIN FROM SEONG IL!!

I will be posting new items from Seong il shortly. These will include a few teapots, and newly designed gaiwan and hohin. Teapots are unglazed in the interiors. A new glaze has been introduced into the repertoire, a rice straw glaze giving a wonderful effect.

All gaiwan are 120ml. All hohin are 90ml. These are approximations.

Stay tuned!

Feb 23rd, '15, 23:58

by Tead Off » Feb 23rd, '15, 23:58

Here is the link to the new work from Seong il.

Feb 24th, '15, 00:03

by debunix » Feb 24th, '15, 00:03

They are lovely--pretty and very practical appearing.

Feb 24th, '15, 03:34

by Tead Off » Feb 24th, '15, 03:34

debunix wrote:They are lovely--pretty and very practical appearing.
I think they are the best of their type that I know of. True Seong il originals.

Feb 24th, '15, 19:31

by Hannah » Feb 24th, '15, 19:31

I'm so excited to get mine (again)!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Feb 25th, '15, 00:20

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 25th, '15, 00:20

Tead Off,

Beautiful new pieces! If still available I'd like to purchase the Seong-il #55 90ml hohin.

Blessings!

Feb 26th, '15, 13:19

by Titan » Feb 26th, '15, 13:19

Tead off,

Hello, just joined TeaChat recently and this is my first post. If available I am interested in Seong-il #58 90ml hohin.

Very beautiful.

Feb 26th, '15, 22:54

by Tead Off » Feb 26th, '15, 22:54

Titan wrote:Tead off,

Hello, just joined TeaChat recently and this is my first post. If available I am interested in Seong-il #58 90ml hohin.

Very beautiful.
Sent you PM. Check your inbox.

Mar 1st, '15, 10:21

by JRS22 » Mar 1st, '15, 10:21

I just sent a PM about one of the Gaiwans.

I'm curious about the glaze. Does the same rice straw glaze account for the dark color on the base & lid as well the pale color on the body?

Mar 1st, '15, 23:28

by Tead Off » Mar 1st, '15, 23:28

JRS22 wrote:I just sent a PM about one of the Gaiwans.

I'm curious about the glaze. Does the same rice straw glaze account for the dark color on the base & lid as well the pale color on the body?
There are 2 glazes used on the gaiwans and some of the other teaware. On gaiwan #45, the lid is an onggi glaze as well as the lower part of the body. The rice straw ash glaze comprises most of the body and interior. It is lighter in color. The inner lip is dipped in the onggi glaze to give it that soft color at the rim. Seong il is a very creative glazer/designer. He is constantly playing with color/texture, and shape.

Mar 2nd, '15, 17:14

by JRS22 » Mar 2nd, '15, 17:14

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the glazing technique.

I really really really don't need a gaiwan that size but they're so beautiful and unusual that in the end I couldn't resist. I ended up choosing the one that had the most pleasing (to my eye) arrangement of rice straw ash drips on the onggi glazed lower body.

Mar 3rd, '15, 01:41

by Tead Off » Mar 3rd, '15, 01:41

JRS22 wrote:Thanks for the detailed explanation of the glazing technique.

I really really really don't need a gaiwan that size but they're so beautiful and unusual that in the end I couldn't resist. I ended up choosing the one that had the most pleasing (to my eye) arrangement of rice straw ash drips on the onggi glazed lower body.
Many teas can be brewed for that sized gaiwan, IMO. Black/reds, oolongs, sencha, puerh. Sometimes, I need to have a larger cup of tea. But, TAD is a more important impulse! :D

Mar 9th, '15, 13:21

by JRS22 » Mar 9th, '15, 13:21

My new Seong-il gaiwan arrived this morning.

It's vertical orientation inspired me to experiment with Tai Ping Hou Kui.

It's just the right size and shape to hold the leaves upright and the design of the lid provides for a very rapid pour. Unfortunately even carefully stored TPHK doesn't age well, but spring teas will be here soon enough.

+ Post Reply