Feb 24th, '12, 04:55

Re: Tead Off, TEAWARE ONLINE

by Tead Off » Feb 24th, '12, 04:55

I have just posted a number of 100ml onggi teapots from Seong il. These have both side handles and ring handles. Many people have requested smaller onggi sizes, so, here they are. Enjoy them!
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/1 ... e?h=8ab0ad

Feb 25th, '12, 02:22

by Tead Off » Feb 25th, '12, 02:22

I have just posted more new Seong il teaware to my dropbox site.http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/1 ... e?h=8ab0ad

I have added some 80ml teapots. 1 of them, a side handled type, had something stick to the handle in the kiln. It is perfect except for a small blob both on top of and underneath the handle. It will be sold for $60.
Another of the teapots is a reddish brown colored glazed porcelalin with a white shino top. This unusual piece was glazed using only seashells.

I have added stoneware and porcelain tea trays. Some great designs and very useful.
A large 10 cake puerh storage jar. Fabulous.
Teabowls, both stoneware and onggi! Prices have been reduced to only $80.

Thank you for the support and the warm welcome that you gave to Yi Yong Cheol. 7 of his teapots have sold so far!! I will be posting cups and servers from him as soon as I get the photos. Stay tuned, please.

Feb 25th, '12, 02:37

Buncheong and Onggi Clays

by Tead Off » Feb 25th, '12, 02:37

In Korea, Buncheong and Onggi clays are found in the western part of the country. The eastern part is more mountainous and this is where the Kaolin is found used for porcelain. Buncheong and Onggi are clays with high iron content. They are more muddy and in the past have been used for the more common teaware, some of which are Treasures in both Japanese and Korean museums. Porcelain was always thought to be of a higher ranking than the other clays (just perception) probably this idea is gotten from the Chinese during Song dynasty. Koreans know that Buncheong and Onggi clays are good for food and drink and also for storing foods for long periods of time. They are fired at a slightly reduced heat between 1200/1250C.

When we see Buncheong wares, traditionally these are made from Buncheong clay and slip glazed in different ways, some are dipped, some are brushed, among other techniques. The Japanese used Buncheong techniques for created their Mishima wares where a design is stamped on the clay then filled with white slip. This is an old Korean technique.

Feb 25th, '12, 09:01

by Tead Off » Feb 25th, '12, 09:01

In case anyone was wondering how Seong il makes the plate section of his tea trays that are inset into the bowl, here is a photo of it reversed.
teatray example.jpg
teatray example.jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 3454 times

Feb 25th, '12, 13:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Feb 25th, '12, 13:58

Tead Off wrote:Thank you for the support and the warm welcome that you gave to Yi Yong Cheol. 7 of his teapots have sold so far!! I will be posting cups and servers from him as soon as I get the photos. Stay tuned, please.
Count me as a fan! Apparently I was a little too slow this time, though. I'll definitely take a look again when you get more tea pots of his. Korean teaware is definitely something that I'm looking to get in the near future and I've always been very impressed with your offerings.

A little question that hopefully wasn't already asked: When you state the capacity, do you mean that the teapot is filled right up to the rim or is that the amount of water that you could actually use comfortably without spilling a ton of water when you put the lid on? I've seen people state it this way and that way which makes it a bit hard to judge the size from afar.
Often what's actually useable is 2/3 or maybe 3/4 of the capacity that is stated.

By the way, were the Yi Yong Cheol pots glazed on the inside?

Feb 25th, '12, 21:19

by Tead Off » Feb 25th, '12, 21:19

Stentor wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Thank you for the support and the warm welcome that you gave to Yi Yong Cheol. 7 of his teapots have sold so far!! I will be posting cups and servers from him as soon as I get the photos. Stay tuned, please.
Count me as a fan! Apparently I was a little too slow this time, though. I'll definitely take a look again when you get more tea pots of his. Korean teaware is definitely something that I'm looking to get in the near future and I've always been very impressed with your offerings.

A little question that hopefully wasn't already asked: When you state the capacity, do you mean that the teapot is filled right up to the rim or is that the amount of water that you could actually use comfortably without spilling a ton of water when you put the lid on? I've seen people state it this way and that way which makes it a bit hard to judge the size from afar.
Often what's actually useable is 2/3 or maybe 3/4 of the capacity that is stated.

By the way, were the Yi Yong Cheol pots glazed on the inside?
Seong il measures the capacity of his teapots near full of water. All capacities are approximate, not exact.

The Yong Cheol teapots are all glazed on the inside.
Thanks for the nice words!

Feb 25th, '12, 21:31

by AdamMY » Feb 25th, '12, 21:31

You snuck those new Seong Il teabowls in there on me, thankfully Chip mentioned them today, and I now snagged one of the styles I always wanted.

Feb 25th, '12, 22:23

by Tead Off » Feb 25th, '12, 22:23

AdamMY wrote:You snuck those new Seong Il teabowls in there on me, thankfully Chip mentioned them today, and I now snagged one of the styles I always wanted.
I've been overwhelmed by the amount of teaware I've had to post. Just sorting, labeling, editing the photos is really time consuming. It would be great if I posted everything at once but I am often sent photos at different times, having to wait some days, sometime. Anyway, I'm about to post some more Yi Yong Cheol cups and servers and more Seong il tea caddys! Just waiting for a little more info. :D

Feb 25th, '12, 22:54

Seong il Tea caddys

by Tead Off » Feb 25th, '12, 22:54

15 new tea caddys just posted. Stoneware and onggi clays. 100 gram capacity. Please have a look. http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/3 ... y?h=121c59

Feb 26th, '12, 00:15

Yi Yong Cheol Servers and Teacups

by Tead Off » Feb 26th, '12, 00:15

Mar 5th, '12, 02:57

by Tead Off » Mar 5th, '12, 02:57

New Tea bowls just posted. Porcelain, stoneware, onggi, and, buncheong.
Please have a look! http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/1 ... e?h=8ab0ad

Mar 6th, '12, 10:30

by Tead Off » Mar 6th, '12, 10:30

4 more teapots from Yi Yong Cheol are coming shortly. All show his brilliant 2 glaze technique.

Mar 6th, '12, 22:04

by Tead Off » Mar 6th, '12, 22:04

New Yi Yong Cheol Teapots. Porcelain with 2 glaze decoration:
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/1 ... e?h=8ab0ad

Mar 10th, '12, 23:56

POLICY UPDATE

by Tead Off » Mar 10th, '12, 23:56

All items ordered will have a RESERVED mark on the item listing. The buyer will have 5 days from the initial order to make payment in full. After payment in full, if the buyer wishes us to hold the shipping while additional items are added to the order, the same 5 day payment will apply to additional items ordered. If payment is not received within 5 days, the RESERVED mark will be taken off and the item will be available for sale once again.

Thanks for all of the support we've gotten!

Mar 13th, '12, 12:04

by hopeofdawn » Mar 13th, '12, 12:04

Just received my teapot order this weekend--one from Seong-il and one from Yong Cheol--and I couldn't believe how tiny and well-made they were! This was my first plunge into higher-end handmade teapots, and I have to say that they're beautifully crafted, with a smooth, fast pour and perfectly fitting lids. Even better, they work well for my extra-short fingers! :)

+ Post Reply