The new look, which begs for tweaking

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

Jul 27th, '09, 11:39
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: The new look, which begs for tweaking

by CynTEAa » Jul 27th, '09, 11:39

scruffmcgruff wrote:I still don't get emails for subscriptions despite having my email address in that field. I don't know about PM notifications.

You are right. It just occurred to me that I did not get a notification for a PM last week. Are PMs working otherwise?

Jul 27th, '09, 11:42

by Salsero » Jul 27th, '09, 11:42

scruffmcgruff wrote:I still don't get emails for subscriptions despite having my email address in that field. I don't know about PM notifications.
I don't get emails for subscriptions or for PMs. I also don't get emails for bookmarks, although I believe that I do get emails from other forums (like Bear's livejournal puerh community) in which I have set Firefox bookmarks the same way.

I think some part of the alerts system must be turned off, perhaps on purpose as a cautionary during this time when so many things seem unpredictable. Just guessing.

Actually, considering the size and scope of this change and all the data that needed to be kept intact, the transition has been pretty good. The forum itself was down for less than 12 hours and we do have an attentive ear trying to perfect the result.

Jul 27th, '09, 11:44

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 27th, '09, 11:44

CynTEAa wrote:Are PMs working otherwise?
I don't know. I'm not that popular. :lol:

One side-effect of the larger font that I just noticed-- my user name is truncated!

Jul 27th, '09, 12:13

by CynTEAa » Jul 27th, '09, 12:13

scruffmcgruff wrote:
CynTEAa wrote:Are PMs working otherwise?
I don't know. I'm not that popular. :lol:

One side-effect of the larger font that I just noticed-- my user name is truncated!
Hehehe..me either. :wink:

You're "ScruffMc Grrrrrrr...."

Jul 27th, '09, 12:29

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '09, 12:29

Ah yes. There it is. Then why doesn't the email icon show up for us, and why no notifications? I definitely have them turned on.

Jul 27th, '09, 12:37

by Salsero » Jul 27th, '09, 12:37

CynTEAa wrote: Are PMs working otherwise?
Well, apparently I am pretty popular. PMs are working and the pop up notice leaps out at me when I go to TeaChat if there is a PM waiting.

Jul 27th, '09, 12:52

by Mrs. Chip » Jul 27th, '09, 12:52

Salsero wrote:
CynTEAa wrote: Are PMs working otherwise?
Well, apparently I am pretty popular. PMs are working and the pop up notice leaps out at me when I go to TeaChat if there is a PM waiting.
Me too, Sal! Nice to have things slowly coming to fruition on TC! All good things take time.

Jul 27th, '09, 14:08

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '09, 14:08

Yeah, my popup window works, so that's good. Just no email notification yet. No worries, just asking. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually.

Jul 27th, '09, 17:27

by Drax » Jul 27th, '09, 17:27

Salsero wrote:
ABx wrote: the new white foreground on the darker background is actually kind of confusing.
Several times I have been confused by it, I think taking the white posts as quotes.
Same here. I guess I'm slowly getting used to it....

Jul 27th, '09, 17:34

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 27th, '09, 17:34

Drax wrote:
Salsero wrote:
ABx wrote: the new white foreground on the darker background is actually kind of confusing.
Several times I have been confused by it, I think taking the white posts as quotes.
Same here. I guess I'm slowly getting used to it....
Didn't Ilya change this already? It looks good now. *thumbs up*

Jul 27th, '09, 19:11

by Proinsias » Jul 27th, '09, 19:11

Weehee, the view new posts button I have been quietly grumbling about over the past year or so now works a treat! I don't lose a note of every new post if I check in on my Ipod on another computer. Cheers Ilya.

The new lay out is a little busy for my tastes but hopefully between some tweaking and me getting used to the place we'll hit a nice middle ground.

Not sure if it's really possible as this place looks pretty heavily customized but on others forums I frequent there is usually an option for the user to choose an older and/or simpler version of the forum. This had meant I'd been able to avoid the left-right switch of avatars and posts that seems to be the new black up until now.

Jul 27th, '09, 20:12

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 27th, '09, 20:12

I made a little change to brandon's stylish code; it un-fixes the header without removing it completely, though it does add some ugly space. I also removed the font-size modification, as I like the current size. Not perfect, but I'm too noobish to make it look pretty.

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("www.teachat.com") 

{ 

div { position:static !important; }

}
Like I said, noobish. Let me know if this screws up any features.

Jul 27th, '09, 21:26

by Victoria » Jul 27th, '09, 21:26

Yeah I'm liking the bigger fonts - thanks Scruff!

Jul 27th, '09, 22:18

by brandon » Jul 27th, '09, 22:18

Great work Brent, I meant to do something like that but it didn't hit me exactly how to do it. It bothered me enough just to ax the entire banner. I have adopted your changes.

Jul 27th, '09, 23:22

by MarshalN » Jul 27th, '09, 23:22

Been gone for two weeks, and I must say -- I find the new layout to the worse than the old one.

Like others, I don't like the big, immovable banner up top. I rarely use those navigational tools -- especially teamap, teachef, etc. I understand Adagio might want the link to their site permanently up top, but there are better ways to do it than having this enormous banner.

Also, the subject line for each post seems a little unnecessary -- after all, 99% of them say the same "Re:.....". Of course, this just means that people are not using it, but if most people don't use it (and there's really little reason to, especially for shorter threads) is it necessary? It's eating up lots of space and entailing scrolling a lot more.

I also find the division of posts with light and dark colours to be a little weak and not as intuitive as before -- especially so in threads with lots of quotes and pictures. Combined with the lack of space, long replies with two quotes and a few pictures in between can be confusing.

Is there a way to utilize the dead space on the sides? Right now I'm basically using about 50% of my screen's space in active viewing. The rest are eaten up by the banner at the top and the two large bands on the sides. Is there a way to stretch the forum so that there isn't that dead space on the sides?

If anything, I think a better layout would be to stick the links you want permanent on the right bar with the chat feature static, while leaving the rest scrollable. I for one wouldn't mind having the chat window be there while I'm reading through the threads. One of the first casualties of this new layout is the static chat window and given how much I have to scroll, it's very quickly out of sight.

+ Post Reply