New Look, Work in Progress...

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Apr 1st, '16, 16:07

Re: New Look, Work in Progress...

by pizzapotamus » Apr 1st, '16, 16:07

debunix wrote:If someone else posted about this problem, I missed it: I can no longer link to an individual post. This is a serious problem for making use of the long history of excellent information in this forum.

Here's the problem in a nutshell: I posted in the Pu of the Day topic about a tea I'd written about in some detail previously, and for this new post, I simply wanted to mention one element of the tea's flavor and share a link to the original post in case someone wanted more information.

I was able to use advanced search to find my post, but there is no longer a symbol next to the post topic title to link directly to that specific post only. Whether I use a link found via TeaChat search or via a site-specific google search, searches that clearly identify my post directly, I can only link to the page with the original post, not the post itself. This means someone has to have the patience to go through the page and I have to hope that they can find the right post, which means few people will do it, and the value of referring to posts elsewhere is largely lost.

FIX THIS!, please. It is a vital part of the educational aspect of this forum.
You can right click on the the "title" of the post you want to link to and copy the url. For example http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ad#p286210 will go directly to your post on this subject.

Apr 1st, '16, 17:14
Adagio

by vanderleaf » Apr 1st, '16, 17:14

Thanks for all the input, folks! As you've seen, we've been working hard on the updates suggested. Hopefully it's starting to work a bit better for you.

We really appreciate your patience and suggestions :)

Apr 1st, '16, 18:23

by Bef » Apr 1st, '16, 18:23

vanderleaf wrote:Thanks for all the input, folks! As you've seen, we've been working hard on the updates suggested. Hopefully it's starting to work a bit better for you.

We really appreciate your patience and suggestions :)
Thanks. Appreciate the effort you invest to fix all the issues!

Apr 1st, '16, 18:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Apr 1st, '16, 18:25

Thanks, the recent changes mean Teachat is back to being functional for my pretty minimal needs.

Kinda weird mix of old & new skins going on though.

Apr 1st, '16, 19:07

by BioHorn » Apr 1st, '16, 19:07

May we pretty please get a color other than purple? Thank you.

Apr 1st, '16, 21:40
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 1st, '16, 21:40

I'm glad things are coming together! BTW, welcome to TeaChat, Julie!

Another suggestion: if the 'contact' speech bubble thing on each post worked, that'd be a nice feature!

Apr 2nd, '16, 01:29

by pedant » Apr 2nd, '16, 01:29

thanks for re-implementing so many of the requests in this thread.

some comments regarding the postprofile description list (i.e. the pane on the right where the user's avatar and post count is displayed next to a post):

I miss user (geographical) 'Location' being supplied.
    it was there in the old theme, and it was nice to get an idea of where fellow users are from without having to actively go to their profile.
    maybe you took it out of viewtopic_body.html in styles/prosilver/template

Code: Select all

<!-- IF postrow.POSTER_FROM --><dd><strong>{L_LOCATION}:</strong> {postrow.POSTER_FROM}</dd><!-- ENDIF -->
    i've never worked with phpbb, but that might put it back in.

do we really need to see the exact time someone joined? shouldn't the date be enough? if you agree, this might get you on the right track
    https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13191829
also yeah the theme leaves much to be desired aesthetically.
i'm not a fan of the color scheme, the font, the custom buttons you made and swapped into the prosilver theme e.g.

also z_lamp put it well:
z_lamp wrote: Too much space is given to too little text. This pattern is consistent across the site.

The topic header on each post is much, much, much too large. It is miles less important than the text of the post itself and should be formatted accordingly.

Nearly half of my 1280x800 screen is taken up by padding when I open a thread. This is an incredibly inefficient use of space.
if you have some time and are inclined to play around with the theme... :D

also something like this might be nice to add (a mod to add a link back to the original post when you quote someone)
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... back_link/

Apr 2nd, '16, 16:15

by JRS22 » Apr 2nd, '16, 16:15

Thanks for all recent improvements. I took advantage of the 'active topics' button to look at all the threads with postings since the big change so I could catch up.

Here's one vote for the color scheme. It's an attractive complement to my lavender iPad cover.

Apr 2nd, '16, 17:16

by BW85 » Apr 2nd, '16, 17:16

It would be awesome if stickied threads were highlighted or more distinguishable from non stickied threads

Apr 3rd, '16, 01:34

by pedant » Apr 3rd, '16, 01:34

also throw a favicon in the mix, fam

Apr 3rd, '16, 03:17

by pedant » Apr 3rd, '16, 03:17

also, i realize that you may want to limit 'abuse' by some users :lol: but do you think you could increase the time limit for editing that you just applied?

maybe to like a week or a month or something? or just no limit?

it's useful to be able to add new information to a post later on. editing posts is useful well beyond fixing a typo you notice immediately after submitting.

Apr 3rd, '16, 03:48

by CWarren » Apr 3rd, '16, 03:48

pedant wrote:also, i realize that you may want to limit 'abuse' by some users :lol: but do you think you could increase the time limit for editing that you just applied?

maybe to like a week or a month or something? or just no limit?

it's useful to be able to add new information to a post later on. editing posts is useful well beyond fixing a typo you notice immediately after submitting.
Edited: :lol:
Attachments
image.png
image.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

Apr 3rd, '16, 14:56

by chai » Apr 3rd, '16, 14:56

I still can't really get used to the color scheme... Could we please get a color scheme with “cozier“,warmer colors? Thanks! :)

Apr 3rd, '16, 20:42

by chamekke » Apr 3rd, '16, 20:42

I just returned to TeaChat after a long absence, and... eep :shock:

I'm begging you here. If you do one thing only, improve legibility and readability. Grey text is a killer for many of us, especially when it's against a background shading of a similar tone. Then there's the size - which, in tandem with the font choice, is simply too spidery to be read at the default. To read this site comfortably now, I'm having to zoom my browser up by 25-50%. I virtually never use the zoom option, so this says a lot right there.

Jakob Nielsen & co. usually say it best:
I have no other comments to make about functionality, because the readability issue has eroded my motivation to explore the site.

P.S. This is NOT to dump on the developer, who could just be trying to meet client demands - including (for all we know) a requirement to squeeze in lots of pale purple :lol:

Apr 4th, '16, 00:57

by BioHorn » Apr 4th, '16, 00:57

Very happy to see the active topics button back and working. Thank you.

How about that color shift? Please?!

In a dream world, could we upload higher resolution photos?! Thank you for supporting this forum!

+ Post Reply