Proper way to search on this site

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

Dec 31st, '08, 20:46

Proper way to search on this site

by Tea Noob » Dec 31st, '08, 20:46

I have a lot of trouble refining a search on this site. Using "" doesn't work, it ignores them and never gives me a search worth anything. If I go to advanced search and add 'and' between the words nothing will come up.

For example I typed in "online and tea". I got 0 results. How is that possible?

Then if I type them in seperately I get every page that has any of the words, not both. I would get a lot of my questions answered if I could just search the site. Is there a special way to refine the search? Aside from using 1 specific word that is rarely used I do not see the usefulness of this searching feature.

I can usually find anything online and this site is really frustrating me. ideas?

Dec 31st, '08, 23:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Dec 31st, '08, 23:06

It is a bit challenging, but you can learn to navigate it better with a little patience.

Are you switching to the "Search for all terms"?

It might also be that the word "tea" has been removed by the programing to prevent everything from coming up.

The trick is to outsmart the computer. What are you really looking for? Online vendors?

Dec 31st, '08, 23:28

by wyardley » Dec 31st, '08, 23:28

Not that this is the ideal solution, since using a site's search function should be the best way to search it, but what about just using google, along with "site:teachat.com"? That's what I usually do, to be honest.

Dec 31st, '08, 23:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Dec 31st, '08, 23:55

Use the mini-search window in the upper right when you do:

online and tea

And you should get the results you want.

It changes when you go to the full search-page using the link in the upper left.

Edit: well, I take that back... I got zero returns as well, and it's definitely not correct. Odd, it worked okay just yesterday.

Jan 1st, '09, 13:03

by Tea Noob » Jan 1st, '09, 13:03

It is a bit challenging, but you can learn to navigate it better with a little patience.

Are you switching to the "Search for all terms"?

It might also be that the word "tea" has been removed by the programing to prevent everything from coming up.

The trick is to outsmart the computer. What are you really looking for? Online vendors?
Originally I was looking for online vendors and I had to make a post to find out. I know I am not the first noob to stumble on to TeaChat and ask the question and just wanted to find what was already written. I know very little about computers but I know how to search online so it was a bit frustrating to attempt it on this site. I guess I will just have to re-ask the same questions.
Not that this is the ideal solution, since using a site's search function should be the best way to search it, but what about just using google, along with "site:teachat.com"? That's what I usually do, to be honest.
That is an interesting technique. I actually have gotten several accidental hits through google that sent me to TeaChat. I think it knows recent sites I have looked at and places them up high. Maybe I am being watched .... :shock:

+ Post Reply