Getting email notification

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

May 14th, '09, 15:22

by iannon » May 14th, '09, 15:22

and pass the Hagi full of tea..

May 14th, '09, 15:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 14th, '09, 15:26

iannon wrote:and pass the Hagi full of tea..
Somehow a chawan with matcha seems more appropriate. 8)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 14th, '09, 16:38

by Victoria » May 14th, '09, 16:38

It is definitely not working for some of us. I have been here over a year, I have never gotten even one. I have checked and double checked each time this has been brought up, which by my count is 3 times now. I have checked everything that needs to be checked - yes on the post - yes in the profile.

I have in that time changed computers, I have used and upgraded 2 different browsers.

The only thing left to think is that AOL email does not allow the responses. (AND no, they are not in the SPAM folder)

May I ask the others who are not getting them --- is AOL your listed email account?

I have learned to rely on using "View New Posts", which most agree is not always
accurate.

May 14th, '09, 16:42

by bsteele » May 14th, '09, 16:42

Clearly the best solution of all will just have to be me hand delivering each reply to each of your topics. I see no other option.

I'll even hand-write the posts.

May 14th, '09, 21:00

by sneakers » May 14th, '09, 21:00

When you go to post a message is the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box checked? I know you said it was checked on your profile page, but what about as seen below?

Yes. And am I supposed to check my profile every night to see if the server reset it? javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

And no, it's not ending up in my ISP's spam box. I've checked that on their website..And, no, I'm not on (pardon the expression) AOL. I have a regular ISP, Verizon.

No, I don't want a handwritten message hand-delivered, but that is funny. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

As Victoria said, it works for some people and not others. If you know anything about computers, that's not strange or unusual. There's a bug in the program. I'll post it to Ilya, and I suggest anyone else with the problem should too. . End of topic

May 14th, '09, 21:15

by Geekgirl » May 14th, '09, 21:15

I don't know what things are like on your other 14 DBs, but around here, this: :roll: is generally considered a rude response when people are genuinely trying to help you figure out your problem.

In answer to your question: No, you are not supposed to check every night, but one check or even two is not unreasonable. I see in your profile that you are a computer tech. Are you going to tell me that in your job, you've never suggested that a customer double-check their settings as the first step in resolving an issue?

May 14th, '09, 23:25

by kymidwife » May 14th, '09, 23:25

FWIW, it's never worked for me either, although I seem to have it checked "on" in the appropriate places. And no... no AOL mail here, I'm on Bellsouth. Nothing in my spam filter either.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

May 16th, '09, 20:24

by sneakers » May 16th, '09, 20:24

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
sneakers wrote:Read my original post.
It works for me. Don't be a jerk, I was trying to be helpful and I did read your original post. Sometimes profile items get reset due to server issues.
I was not being a jerk. I belong to a great many forums, and it's common for posters to misread the original post. It's also common to misinterpret other people's posts and emails. But I don't know you, and vice versa, so don't take it personally.

I didn't know about Ilya, as I'm not here that often. I've sent it off to him, and he says he's aware of it.

Let us sing to our teapots, "You're Getting to be a Habit with Me." javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

May 16th, '09, 20:53
Adagio

by ilya » May 16th, '09, 20:53

I've looked into this issue and it seems to be a fairly common problem with phpbb. I'll tinker with the mail setting to see if I can get it to work.

May 16th, '09, 20:53
Adagio

by ilya » May 16th, '09, 20:53

I've looked into this issue and it seems to be a fairly common problem with phpbb. I'll tinker with the mail setting to see if I can get it to work.

May 16th, '09, 21:44

by edkrueger » May 16th, '09, 21:44

Chip wrote:We will now join hands and sing Kumbaya! :D
Gross, I don't want your swine flu. :shock:

May 16th, '09, 22:04

by Chip » May 16th, '09, 22:04

Hmmm, looks like they have cloned Ilya now as well, well 2 Ilyas on the case is better than one.

Ed K., did you drink that tea I sent you??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 9th, '09, 03:30

by sneakers » Jun 9th, '09, 03:30

It's 6/9, and problem has not been solved, although Ilya was nice enough to PM me a few weeks back. I just check through the forums every few nights.

Jun 9th, '09, 15:53
Adagio

by ilya » Jun 9th, '09, 15:53

Not sure why, but the functionality seems to work for me just fine. Simply click on the 'Watch this topic for replies' link on the bottom of a thread and it should start working for you going forward. (At least it did for me)

Jun 9th, '09, 16:08
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jun 9th, '09, 16:08

Some discussion forum software allows users to build a list folder "threads I'm watching", with a hot link to each thread set to parse to the latest reply, rather than dispatch email notices. It's easier to keep track of threaded conversations that don't have much traffic and may roll off the 'hotsheet' (index page of each subforum).

It's bad software karma when the Admin double posts and doesn't notice. *wink*
Last edited by Intuit on Jun 9th, '09, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply