HAGI SO #3 Deishi Gyokuro Pieces


Hagi, TeawareArtisan, etc. Special Offer Program

Re: Official HAGI Special Offer #3!

Postby Tead Off » Aug 21st, '09, 07:02

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote:What would be the dimensions and capacity of the gyokuro cups?

SMALL.
Deishi Gyokuro Cups.
Size: H 1.2-1.35" X W 1.6-2"
Capacity on a good day, 15 ml. +/-
Obviously size varies.

OH, if interested, minimum order of 2.


Those are tiny, Chip. I think even the traditionalists use 30ml minimum. Seems a bit impractical for my tastes.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Official HAGI Special Offer #3!

Postby Chip » Aug 21st, '09, 09:00

Tead Off wrote: Those are tiny, Chip. I think even the traditionalists use 30ml minimum. Seems a bit impractical for my tastes.

Yes they are the smallest cups I have, but I do have a set of Gong Fu cups that are pretty small as well. I am glad that I have them however. If they are not in keeping with your practical tastes, then do not get them ... simple enough. Within the context of this set, they are in keeping with Deishi's vision, his tastes.

Traditionalists?
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22135
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official HAGI Special Offer #3!

Postby Tead Off » Aug 21st, '09, 23:54

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote: Those are tiny, Chip. I think even the traditionalists use 30ml minimum. Seems a bit impractical for my tastes.

Yes they are the smallest cups I have, but I do have a set of Gong Fu cups that are pretty small as well. I am glad that I have them however. If they are not in keeping with your practical tastes, then do not get them ... simple enough. Within the context of this set, they are in keeping with Deishi's vision, his tastes.

Traditionalists?


Yuuki-Cha recommends 60ml.
Hojo-40ml

Not saying those are hard and fast rules, just guidelines. I could see 15ml and several drinkers sharing a small pot.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Official HAGI Special Offer #3!

Postby Chip » Aug 22nd, '09, 00:44

60 is big for gyokuro, especially the really good stuff IMHO.

15 is particularly good for a super premium grade ... but not every time. I typically will use something a bigger for lesser grades. I think this set was designed with a super premium grade in mind.

I was a bit confused by your use of the term traditionalists since Deishi is a very highly regarded artisan of teaware in Hagi, and a traditionalist in his own right.

LOL, ask 10 vendors the same question, and you will get 10 different answers.

There is also something called "drop tea," so named because so much Gyokuro leaf is used and so little water, the "precious dew" comes out in drops. These cups would be great for that.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22135
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official HAGI Special Offer #3!

Postby Tead Off » Aug 22nd, '09, 08:36

Chip wrote:60 is big for gyokuro, especially the really good stuff IMHO.

15 is particularly good for a super premium grade ... but not every time. I typically will use something a bigger for lesser grades. I think this set was designed with a super premium grade in mind.

I was a bit confused by your use of the term traditionalists since Deishi is a very highly regarded artisan of teaware in Hagi, and a traditionalist in his own right.

LOL, ask 10 vendors the same question, and you will get 10 different answers.

There is also something called "drop tea," so named because so much Gyokuro leaf is used and so little water, the "precious dew" comes out in drops. These cups would be great for that.


drop tea sounds like it should be taken intravenously. :shock:

I have a set of 6 eggshell Chinese porcelain cups that are quite elegant but not very easy to handle. Because they are small, and, because tea is usually not filled to the brim of these cups, you get maybe a bit more than 10ml. I am usually panting for the next cup as it really only whets my lips. But, hey, whatever one feels comfortable with is alright.

Within tradition, there are always variables. I was just referring to how most drinkers take their gyokuro from what I've read. For that special, special tea ($$$$$), I can see savoring a few drops now and again.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation