After reading the topic, please simply answer whether to commission Eiichi or not to commission?

YES, Commission
92%
NO, DO NOT Commission
8%

Total votes: 37

Jan 12th, '11, 07:25

Re: Hagi Think Tank 2 Commissioning a Hagi SO

by David R. » Jan 12th, '11, 07:25

I think this is a great idea ! I love Eiichi's work. I am looking forward to seeing his evolution. I am glad that a new generation of traditional japanese potters exists. Chatting with Mago, I learned the traditional ways are not popular among young people and very few are motivated enough to carry on "ancient" arts.

Among all Eiichi's works Mago has show, ROCK is definitively my favourite. I regret I did not purchase one. But I am sure he will come back to this style one day or another.

I'd sure give a wild card to Eiichi. If I could, I would encourage him to look in the ROCK direction. I don't care if they are unique items or not to be frank.

Count me in.

Jan 12th, '11, 09:06

by twinofmunin » Jan 12th, '11, 09:06

I would be in! I love surprises. :)

Jan 12th, '11, 11:26
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 12th, '11, 11:26

After seeing those two pieces I'd say I'm in.

Jan 12th, '11, 12:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 12th, '11, 12:48

IPT wrote:After seeing those two pieces I'd say I'm in.
I am thinking you were thinking about this all day? :mrgreen:
Twinofmu... wrote:I would be in! I love surprises. :)
This I definitely already know ... knew! :mrgreen:
David R. wrote:I think this is a great idea ! I love Eiichi's work. I am looking forward to seeing his evolution. I am glad that a new generation of traditional japanese potters exists. Chatting with Mago, I learned the traditional ways are not popular among young people and very few are motivated enough to carry on "ancient" arts.

Among all Eiichi's works Mago has show, ROCK is definitively my favourite. I regret I did not purchase one. But I am sure he will come back to this style one day or another.

I'd sure give a wild card to Eiichi. If I could, I would encourage him to look in the ROCK direction. I don't care if they are unique items or not to be frank.

Count me in.
Cool. Thanks for your post/thoughts.

Making a long story short ... the ROCK was long in the discussion for SO 14, but there were a few concerns on my part. I wanted to introduce Eiichi to the Hagi SO program with a very doable sellout.

The ROCK I feared at its lofty price point and potential love it or leave it style (I love it, but would understand why many may not), that it may not sell out in a reasonable time frame, given a commitment of 20 pieces.

Sooo, it was decided to do the ROCK at a later date, after Eiichi had his coming out party on TC. The style and size would be unique and the pieces would be premo.

Now a commissioning might delay the ROCK a bit, but I expect to see much of Eiichi in future Hagi SOs!

If I received a commitment to at least 10 ROCKS by members via PM, I would move forward sooner than later ... but this would NOT be the commissioned piece, where we turn virtually the entire creativity over to Eiichi with few restrictions (price, size) to create something "new."

Jan 12th, '11, 12:57

by Chip » Jan 12th, '11, 12:57

Nenugal wrote:This sounds very interesting; depending on (at least some hints about) the price and size/shape I'm generally enthusiastic about participation in this :)
Thanks, I would hope to have some restrictions in price and size for instance.

I would expect a range in size however. I think some might choose bigger and others might choose smaller. To give it more universal appeal, a range makes sense.
Drax wrote:YES.

I could elaborate, but I think that covers it. :D
That's the spirit. :mrgreen:

A commissioning is a bit of a leap of faith.

Jan 12th, '11, 12:59
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 12th, '11, 12:59

Chip wrote:
IPT wrote:After seeing those two pieces I'd say I'm in.
I am thinking you were thinking about this all day? :mrgreen:
Yes I was. It's that rock one. It just kept me coming back. They're both spectacular, but I definately prefer the rock one.

Jan 12th, '11, 13:22

by kaminix » Jan 12th, '11, 13:22

Are there more pictures of the Rock? I'd like to see it from different angles if possible.

Jan 12th, '11, 13:26

by Chip » Jan 12th, '11, 13:26

kaminix wrote:Are there more pictures of the Rock? I'd like to see it from different angles if possible.
I have single photos only of several different pieces, I think. Mostly for reference for the SO program.

Jan 12th, '11, 13:27

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Jan 12th, '11, 13:27

I like the idea of giving the artist creative control.

I'm in.

Jan 12th, '11, 15:06

by Chesslover » Jan 12th, '11, 15:06

The Rock is spectacular...I think I wouldn't be able to pass it up, despite of it's high price...

Jan 12th, '11, 18:35

by woozl » Jan 12th, '11, 18:35

Where do I sign up?
I agree this "snowdrifts" is the most compelling piece I own.
So yeah, great idea to commission a piece.

Jan 12th, '11, 18:44

by Nathaniel87 » Jan 12th, '11, 18:44

The rock pieces that I have seen are really amazing. I am just curious if the inside is completely glazed or not. Regardless, I think it would be a great idea and I would love to see the outcome.

Jan 12th, '11, 19:56

by Chip » Jan 12th, '11, 19:56

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:I like the idea of giving the artist creative control.
So do I. It is too bad this cannot always be the chosen path.
Chesslov... wrote:The Rock is spectacular...I think I wouldn't be able to pass it up, despite of it's high price...
"Think?" :mrgreen: And then PM me.
woozl wrote:Where do I sign up?
I agree this "snowdrifts" is the most compelling piece I own.
So yeah, great idea to commission a piece.

So, you love the Rokz too?

Yeah, cannot seem to use the SnowDrift enough ... it is virtually never sitting idle! So, not only is it compelling, it is compelling in a very usable way!
Nathanie... wrote:The rock pieces that I have seen are really amazing. I am just curious if the inside is completely glazed or not. Regardless, I think it would be a great idea and I would love to see the outcome.
My understanding of the ROCK ... it takes at least 3 firings to make the ROCK. The inside is wheeled I believe and fired, it has a white glazed interior (straw ash I believe). Then the dark rough surface is applied and fired, and then finally the straw ash white glaze on the exterior ... and fired again. Something like that.

So, like the SnowDrift, the interior is wheeled, and then the exterior is hand worked and carved ...

But they have had a white glazed interior, which I would likely spec.

Jan 12th, '11, 20:01

by iannon » Jan 12th, '11, 20:01

well.I have 2 Eiichi..and I love them both in their own right. I would be willing to get another if I had a good idea of volume.

Jan 12th, '11, 20:03

by Chip » Jan 12th, '11, 20:03

iannon wrote:well.I have 2 Eiichi..and I love them both in their own right. I would be willing to get another if I had a good idea of volume.
Speak volumes!

Like I said, I would ask for a range in sizes and volumes as well.

+ Post Reply