Apr 22nd, '11, 21:00
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: HAGI SSO 16 Eiichi ROCK! by Shibuya Eiichi

by Chip » Apr 22nd, '11, 21:00

12 looks as shuweet as 11, David! :wink:

Apr 22nd, '11, 21:11

by debunix » Apr 22nd, '11, 21:11

It takes wonderfully to black and white!

Apr 22nd, '11, 21:13

by laura99 » Apr 22nd, '11, 21:13

debunix wrote:It takes wonderfully to black and white!
+1 - nice shots David.

Apr 23rd, '11, 07:53

by David R. » Apr 23rd, '11, 07:53

Thanks. #11 was awesome, with a lot of details. #12 is not bad either, rougher, with more irregularities. Can't complain ! :wink:

It will take a bath during the weekend while I am out. Next week looks fun !

Apr 23rd, '11, 20:12

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Apr 23rd, '11, 20:12

Having seen both 11 and 12 firsthand, I can say that they are both very nice pieces. :) Glad it arrived safely David.

Apr 23rd, '11, 23:11
Vendor Member

by IPT » Apr 23rd, '11, 23:11

Great photos everyone! I can't believe how quickly my crackles have been darkening. Of course I'm using it almost daily, but it's still quick. I'm going to wait a few weeks and then post some more photos. This is an awesome cup!

May 27th, '11, 11:10

by hopeofdawn » May 27th, '11, 11:10

This might be a little off-topic, but I thought folks might be interested in knowing that Mago apparently has a ROCK chawan up for sale--it's the first ROCK I've seen outside of the Teachat SO, and the first chawan I've seen in that style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/c1805-JPN-HAGI-SHIB ... 5644560ac1

I'd be tempted myself, if it weren't completely out of my price range--but I figured that there might be a few people lurking around that had missed the original SO and might be interested ... :)

May 27th, '11, 13:37

by Chip » May 27th, '11, 13:37

Yeah, that is a beauty Hope! :mrgreen:

May 27th, '11, 13:55

by Tobias » May 27th, '11, 13:55

hopeofdawn wrote:This might be a little off-topic, but I thought folks might be interested in knowing that Mago apparently has a ROCK chawan up for sale
I just looked at it, I also saw some Deishi bonsai pots almost in the same style as SO 14 (Snowdrift).

May 27th, '11, 14:19

by Chip » May 27th, '11, 14:19

Tobias wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:This might be a little off-topic, but I thought folks might be interested in knowing that Mago apparently has a ROCK chawan up for sale
I just looked at it, I also saw some Deishi bonsai pots almost in the same style as SO 14 (Snowdrift).
Wow, it really looks like the grandson has taught the grandfather in this instance. I have seen plenty of Deishi camfored pieces before, but nothing at all like Snowdrift as these are.

May 27th, '11, 14:23

by rdl » May 27th, '11, 14:23

hopeofdawn wrote:This might be a little off-topic, but I thought folks might be interested in knowing that Mago apparently has a ROCK chawan up for sale--it's the first ROCK I've seen outside of the Teachat SO, and the first chawan I've seen in that style.
off-topic as well. i have seen a seigan sake cup similar to the rock.
http://www.jshoppers.com/shohin.asp?Shocd=W02195

May 27th, '11, 14:28

by Chip » May 27th, '11, 14:28

rdl wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:This might be a little off-topic, but I thought folks might be interested in knowing that Mago apparently has a ROCK chawan up for sale--it's the first ROCK I've seen outside of the Teachat SO, and the first chawan I've seen in that style.
off-topic as well. i have seen a seigan sake cup similar to the rock.
http://www.jshoppers.com/shohin.asp?Shocd=W02195
Ha, like "Spirit" meets The ROCK! :mrgreen:

Jun 22nd, '11, 02:29

by Chesslover » Jun 22nd, '11, 02:29

I'm sorry to be rude, but Chip, you stated (regarding ROCKs):
I am still in discussion on price, however my goal is 80-85 USD. This is well below market value for these, especially since Eiichi has stated he will not be doing these again for a while.
And now I see this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/220803292356

So 10 bucks cheaper as we payed + Eiichi is doing ROCKs again???

I feel as being fooled :(

Jun 22nd, '11, 02:47

by Chip » Jun 22nd, '11, 02:47

Thank you for posting. I simply passed on what I was informed. Eiichi was not planning on making more ... and this was even before the Hagi SO.

The ROCKS as part of the SO were a special limited run, they were also fully pinch/carve work pieces ... this was the first time Eiichi made Rocks via full pinch/carving. The pieces you now see on Mago are first wheeled. This might seem like a small point, but it is significant.

After Mago received the pieces, he informed me of the price which was HIGHER than the 85 USD!!!

Please read my intro posts to the actual ROCK SO topic.

Had the Hagi SO been wheeled first, then carved, the price would have been lower. If you read my intro posts, this is mentioned in there somewhere. Eiichi did us a surprise service by making them extra special!

Also, I can tell you, even the wheeled Rocks sold before the Hagi SO were selling for 80 to over 100 USD. Thus the market value for a fully pinched/carved ROCK would be even higher. And the starting bid price of the new ROCKs is 75, but Mago surely wants more than this. However he has lost 25 buyers through this Hagi SO. :idea:

It is also quite common to see Hagi SO pieces that were at the time fully inovative and cutting edge to suddenly start popping up after the SO. We do not hold license for these, and an artist can suddenly decide to make something that we create for an SO ... although I do discourage the practice for this very reason.

I can show you easily 7 instances were this has occurred.

At any rate, there was no attempt to deceive. I was as surprised as anyone to see the ROCKS, and actually even considered buying one.

**it happens. :mrgreen:

Jun 22nd, '11, 03:33

by Chesslover » Jun 22nd, '11, 03:33

Well the argument of wheeled against carved makes little sense to me...I like more wheeled ones anyway...I don't know, but this seems to bring no extra value to a cup...

Selling price of ROCKs - as I recall (and I followed ebay auctions on ROCKs thoroughlly, because I liked this cups - I even suggested you doing this SO in private message, with one auction linked) - was even lower - 70 $, so the price was quite a surprise for me (when stating, that the price of SO is lower (special) than usual, and then reading that So price will be higher - and would be even higher considering the Mago's suggested price - well this is a surprise)...

Anyway you try to show things nicer, the facts (for me) are quite clear and I will probably stay out of such SO's...

Not to mention the fact, that we had to pay 25 $ deposit and obligate ourselfs way before we knew the actual price...that's the reason why I didn't say anything then (I would lose 25 $)...

+ Post Reply