Prelim topic. HAGI SO 15 SENDAI

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program

May 17th, '11, 01:03
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: HAGI SO 15 SENDAI

by Chip » May 17th, '11, 01:03

OK, should I have all the photos this week, no day given at this point ...

May 17th, '11, 12:46

by solitude » May 17th, '11, 12:46

HAGI, agian, what about gaiwans, yixings?

May 17th, '11, 12:59

by lkj23 » May 17th, '11, 12:59

solitude wrote:HAGI, agian, what about gaiwans, yixings?

This is a very good idea :idea: :idea:

May 17th, '11, 13:08

by AdamMY » May 17th, '11, 13:08

lkj23 wrote:

But Chip can only do SO's in things he has forged connections in. He found someone in Japan that is willing to work with him on creating these SO's. I feel getting that to Happen in China might be a bit harder, especially as Chip does not order nearly as much Chinese Tea and Teaware as he does Japanese.

I do think other members have talked about trying to get a bunch of people together to do a bulk order (similar to an SO) on Yixings, and potentially Gaiwans.

May 17th, '11, 13:22

by lkj23 » May 17th, '11, 13:22

AdamMY wrote:
lkj23 wrote:

But Chip can only do SO's in things he has forged connections in. He found someone in Japan that is willing to work with him on creating these SO's. I feel getting that to Happen in China might be a bit harder, especially as Chip does not order nearly as much Chinese Tea and Teaware as he does Japanese.

I do think other members have talked about trying to get a bunch of people together to do a bulk order (similar to an SO) on Yixings, and potentially Gaiwans.
I´m interested, If somebody do that, count me in

May 17th, '11, 13:24

by Chip » May 17th, '11, 13:24

AdamMY wrote:
lkj23 wrote:

This is within the realm of possibility. I have considered Yixing. I have also considered Chinese/Taiwanese wares as well. This is possible, there are already connections.

Thing is, there are so many vendors selling these wares. And it would be a huge challenge selecting a Yixing for instance that 20 members could agree upon.

I have tried to shoot for the unusual, ecclectic.

However, there is a very unusual and spectacular SO coming soon, working with someone in China who is working with an artisan in China. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This is neither Yixing nor gaiwan however.

I am open to almost anything, well would consider anything. But it has to be feasible and pratical to pull off. :mrgreen:

May 17th, '11, 13:41

by Drax » May 17th, '11, 13:41

Chip wrote:I have tried to shoot for the unusual, ecclectic.

However, there is a very unusual and spectacular SO coming soon, working with someone in China who is working with an artisan in China. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This is neither Yixing nor gaiwan however.

I am open to almost anything, well would consider anything. But it has to be feasible and pratical to pull off. :mrgreen:
I was going to say... I think there's quite a difference between the SOs and a "bulk-buy"... I'd say that Chip has done a spectacular job at bringing forth the unusual...!

May 17th, '11, 13:51

by lkj23 » May 17th, '11, 13:51

Chip wrote: However, there is a very unusual and spectacular SO coming soon, working with someone in China who is working with an artisan in China. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This is neither Yixing nor gaiwan however.
Wow is good to know, I´ll be alert.
Chip wrote: I am open to almost anything, well would consider anything. But it has to be feasible and pratical to pull off. :mrgreen:
Gaiwan or yixing are good ideas for me.

May 17th, '11, 15:18

by Chip » May 17th, '11, 15:18

... forgot to mention, our TeawareArtisan SO's (TA SO) as well. There is one coming up quite shortly that I think will offer a more universal appeal. :mrgreen:

Any suggestions for SO's please post here:

New SO Suggestion topic http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15636

TC TeawareArtisan http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 90#p152090

And yeah, teaware from Japan, not just Hagi: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=13971

May 17th, '11, 21:58

by Chip » May 17th, '11, 21:58

... and now back to our SSO 15 Sendai! :mrgreen:

So, been waiting and waiting and waiting for the final photos! These are all the photos of all the pieces ... these are the ones that I share with members so they can pick and choose.

The waiting can be agonizing, you have no idea. Oh wait ... now you do. :mrgreen:

Sometimes the wait for pieces to be completed can be as little as a month (pretty rare) to many months depending mostly on how much difficulty the artisan is encountering in creating the special pieces.

First they produce the bisqueware. We even look a special shape ... avoiding the mass produced bisqueware. Then the glazing process which may take several applications/firings.

It is not til the unloading that the artisan knows if he/she has been successful. If they do not feel the pieces are exceptional for a TC SO, they are set aside and the process starts over again.

Interestingly, I have noticed sub standard examples of our SOs on the market, they are generally noticably inferior and priced accordingly. The first time this happened, I had a very strong reaction ... now I just smile and realize we are getting the best of the best.

May 17th, '11, 22:01

by Chip » May 17th, '11, 22:01

... in the case of "Sendai," I believe this was the third attempt from scratch to reproduce the original prototype ... remember, Sendai is actually a "verrry successful accident." :mrgreen:

May 17th, '11, 22:32

by HanshinTigers » May 17th, '11, 22:32

Chip wrote:... and now back to our SSO 15 Sendai! :mrgreen:

These are all the photos of all the pieces ... these are the ones that I share with members so they can pick and choose.

what pictures?

May 17th, '11, 23:27

by Chip » May 17th, '11, 23:27

HanshinTigers wrote:
Chip wrote:... and now back to our SSO 15 Sendai! :mrgreen:

These are all the photos of all the pieces ... these are the ones that I share with members so they can pick and choose.

what pictures?
The final photos that I have not received yet.

Welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

May 17th, '11, 23:34

by HanshinTigers » May 17th, '11, 23:34

Thanks. Ive been lurking for a while, but this is for such a good cause that I need to get one of these.

May 17th, '11, 23:43

by Chip » May 17th, '11, 23:43

HanshinTigers wrote:Thanks. Ive been lurking for a while, but this is for such a good cause that I need to get one of these.
Excellent. Check this topic daily!!!

+ Post Reply