Jun 2nd, '11, 14:53
Scrolling: scrolling

TA SO 3 Petr Novák Wood Fired Shino Collection

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 14:53

Welcome members to TeaChat TeawareArtisan SO #3,
Petr Novák Wood Fired Shino Collection

Our TeawareArtisan, Petr Novák from the Czech Republic, has come up with an incredible collection of wood fired pieces that have been created especially for members of TeaChat, for this TA SO.

And these are all at VERY SPECIAL PRICING as well, 20-30% lower than his regular prices! This is an excellent opportunity to score some really great pieces!

Several glazes and effects and teaware types ... here a Shiboridashi set! Beautiful "yohen" (changed by the fire) effect.

All the photos are in four subalbums in the Pter TA SO photobucket album: http://photobucket.com/tctasopetr

Iron rich sandy clay was used in the making of these pieces for amazing texture, feel, dynamic looks. Most have very cool shino glaze applied sporadically to the exteriors creating a very serendipitous and one of a kind look. Others feature bare clay exteriors for a very natural look. And there are examples of his newer charcoal covered during firing technique.

Cups, cups, cups ... many options available!

You will be able to "match" pots to cups to shiboridashi to yuzamashi to yunomi, etc. very easily ... as you will see!

Of course the debate rages on, "does iron rich clay enhance the brewing of my tea?" Most would say it has a positive effect on their tea. I generally prefer bare clay for brewing many teas. You will notice all the brew vessels have bare clay interiors except one yuzamashi. The cups are mostly glazed, inside and out.

A Yuzamashi, water cooler. Available in 2 styles, glazes ... and this piece was charcoal covered during firing for a great extreme "yohen" effect. Bare clay interior of iron rich clay!
Petr wrote:All pieces are made from high iron, sandy, stoneware. There are two kinds of Shino glaze outside - Both made from Czech materials. First is more shiny and smooth -Second is orange, rougher and in some cases dry shino. All brewing vessels are unglazed inside. Inside of all cups is third glaze - almost clear feldspar on kaolin slip. It wills improve by using it -catching patina and coloring cracks. All pieces were wood fired to 1280-1380°C. In this case the firing took nineteen hours.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here in this topic! I will of course join the discussion on TeaChat when it will be out.
Teapots and kyusu-s ... again 2 glazes, and a charcoal piece. Here is a shino. The hardest part will be to pick your faves from this great grouping. All pots feature bare clay interiors and lots of exposed clay exteriors for enhanced brewing and to show off this beautiful sandy, iron rich clay.

This TA SO collection includes:

Teapots
Teacups (some with his signature saucers, some without)
Yunomi-s
Shiboridashi-s.
Yuzamashi-s

Some pieces are sold individually and some are in sets (as pictured). You may purchase as many or as few items as you want, however for this SO, sets cannot be broken.

I created a post for each general teaware type for ease of viewing and to reduce confusion. Then the last of my string of posts will discuss ordering and shipping.

Coming on the heels of the Hagi SO Sendai (or for whatever reason), you can place items on reserve with a 25% deposit (pre shipping) for up to a couple weeks.

If you have any questions, please post them here or PM me. PLEASE, we do not want to overwhelm Petr with contacts. He will address questions here!!!

Orders for this TA SO must be placed through your friendly Moderator. PLEASE see the last of my posts in this series of posts for all ordering information. You will be asked to submit order preferences, see the ordering post for details!

Petr will not be able to accept your order for TA SO item(s). PLEASE, follow the procedures outlined in this topic in order to prevent delays, problems and errors and to assure you have the best opportunity to secure items you want. Attempting to order TA SO pieces directly from Petr will only delay the placement of your order, which is time critical!!!

Jun 2nd, '11, 14:54

Re: TA SO 3 Petr Novák Wood Fired Shino Collection

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 14:54

Shiboridashi

What is a Shiboridashi? There are similar versions of this interesting style of brew vessel in other countries, but the Shiboridashi has roots in Japan. It is basically a simple brew vessel sans handle and screen. Instead of a screen, they will often have a "rake" (as do these!) to effectively screen out the leaves. The substantial rim above the lid will prevent burning of fingers.

Shino glazed set with lots of bare clay.

The Shiboridashi are made with iron rich, sandy clay, and the clay is intentionally unglazed on the interiors!

You can choose from a great selection of Shiboridashi, some alone, some as sets with cup(s) (sets cannot be broken). Various glazes and techniques. All shiboridashies can hold between 100-130ml (~3-4 ounces).

These are quite beautiful, most featuring one of two different shino glazes that has been applied sporadically in order to create a very serendipitious look. S 3 features charcoal covering during firing.

The cups are generally more glazed and have interior glazing.

Here is my photobucket. The first link is for the main album, then look for the 4 subalbums.
http://photobucket.com/tctasopetr
Here is the link for the Shiboridashi-s! Each photo has a title which is the item number which you will need for ordering. Remember, if you want a Shiboridashi, INCLUDE 3 OR MORE CHOICES IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE!
http://photobucket.com/tctasopetrshiboridashi

Specially priced as follows:

Two shiboridashi-s - 32 USD each

Ten Shiboridashi sets with one matching cup - 36.50 USD per set

One Shiboridashi set with two cups. - 40 USD

Jun 2nd, '11, 14:55

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 14:55

Teapots

A beautiful, spectacular selection of teapots in two styles, several glazes and one charcoal covered during firing. Many feature the yohen effect meaning changed by the fire.

There is the somewhat traditional style pot with the loop handle opposite the spout. Then there is the kyusu version. All feature an internal clay screen.

Traditional style teapot, serendipitiously glazed in an alternative shino, showing off the beautiful sandy, iron-rich clay.

The clay is an iron rich sandy clay. The pots are not glazed on the inside so you can experience this clay and its potential effects, enhancements to your tea. Much of this clay was left exposed on the exteriors to really show off this clay and for a more natural effect that really highlights the woodfiring.

All teapots can hold between 200-230ml.

Here is my photobucket. The first link is for the main album, then look for the 4 subalbums.
Here is the link for the Teapots and Kyusu-s! Each photo has a title which is the item number which you will need for ordering. Remember, if you want a Teapot or Kyusu, INCLUDE 3 OR MORE CHOICES IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE!
http://photobucket.com/tctasopetrteapots

Nine teapots specially priced – 40 USD each. The challenge will be to pick one!!!

(I already own one of Petr's kyusu-s and can vouch for these, very well made and eminently functional, even stands on its handle :) )

Jun 2nd, '11, 14:55

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 14:55

Yuzamashi (water cooler), or pitcher, fair cup

Again these are made of the same iron rich clay and feature an unglazed interior (except one, see photos). Again these coordinate with other pieces in this TA SO!

Check out this beauty ...

Here is the link for the Yuzamashi-s, etc.! Each photo has a title which is the item number which you will need for ordering. Remember, if you want a Yuzamashi, INCLUDE 3 OR MORE CHOICES IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE!
http://photobucket.com/tctasopetryuzamashi

Ten yuzamashi-s - 20 USD each

All yuzamashi can hold between 210-240ml

Jun 2nd, '11, 14:56

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 14:56

Cups, Cups with saucers, Cup sets, Yunomi-s, Yunomi sets

Made of the same clay, but glazed for drinking pleasure.

Wow, what an assortment and lots of options. Remember, many of the Shiboridashi also include a cup or cups as well!

There are so many options available, check them all out in my photobucket. Here are two ...

For Yunomi fans ...

Here is the link for the Cups, etc.! Each photo has a title which is the item number which you will need for ordering. Remember, if you want a Cup(s), INCLUDE 3 OR MORE CHOICES IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE!
http://photobucket.com/tctasopetrcups

Special pricing:

Yunomi-priced each

Five single yunomi-s – 14.50 USD

Four sets (couples) - 25.50 USD

Yunomi-s are around 120ml

Cup on Saucer-priced per cup/saucer

Seven singles - 15.50 USD

Three couples - 27.50 USD

One Triad - 40 USD

Cups on saucers can hold 110-120ml

Cup-priced each or per set

Six singles – 10 USD

One couple – 15.50 USD

One Triad - 22 USD

One foursomes -27.50 USD

Singles are bigger, around 110ml. The rest are smaller around 60ml

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:03

by HanshinTigers » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:03

any estimates on shipping costs to the US per item?

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:08

by siae » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:08

OMG they are all so awesome!

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:10

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:10

HanshinTigers wrote:any estimates on shipping costs to the US per item?
Oops, here is the ordering information ...

Petr has created an interesting incentive to order more teaware, fixed rates in order to attempt to also simplify the shipping.

Also, the first 20 members to order based on actual time the order preferences are PMed to me, will receive a tea sample from Petr, either Darjeeling First Flush or a very fine Nepalese.

In order to order, for each teaware type you want, include AT LEAST 3 choices in order of preference ... for each teaware type you want. Actually more choices would be wise!!! So, if you want a pot, pick at least 3 pots, etc.

Orders are on a first come first served basis!!! You can begin PMing your preferences to me at 6 pm Eastern USA time. I will then PM everyone ASAP, please be patient with me as this can get crazy! :mrgreen:

Each of my photobucket photos has a title, at least one letter followed by a number. Of course, you must include this number in order to indicate your choices!

Pick your shipping preference, include with your item choices if possible.

Shipping to USA and all around the world except Europe:

Economy Around 3-6 weeks 25 USD
Priority Around 10-20 days 44 USD,
EMS Around 7-16 days 90 USD

If your final, actual shipping is $3 or more less, you will be refunded.
If your final shipping is more than $10 higher, Petr will request the balance. We think this is a simpler approach given all the options and quantities members can choose from.

I previously chose Economy, it arrived in 4-5 weeks. I might go with Priority this time. I received a kyusu, shib, 5 cups and a Yuza. I think the economy shipping was only around $25. This gives you an idea.

Shipping within Europe:

Priority (economy is almost the same) Around 7-10 days 30 USD,
EMS 65 USD -"it should be faster but who knows :), " So says Petr.

If your final, actual shipping is $3 or more less, you will be refunded.
If your final shipping is more than $10 higher, Petr will request the balance. We think this is a simpler approach given all the options and quantities members can choose from.

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:14

by debunix » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:14

All together now: Ooooohhhh! Aaaahhhh!

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:17

by gargoylekitty » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:17

Wow, they're all so gorgeous!

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:30

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:30

siae wrote:OMG they are all so awesome!
Yes, my thoughts exactly! :mrgreen:
debunix wrote:All together now: Ooooohhhh! Aaaahhhh!
Already been there and done that. :mrgreen:
Gargoyle... wrote:Wow, they're all so gorgeous!
Yes, My thoughts exactly! :mrgreen: :lol:

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:44

by TubbyCow » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:44

Should we include our address, etc. in the first e-mail or do we wait until later for that?

It's all so spectacular. How long can the average human survive off Ramen noodles? :D
Last edited by TubbyCow on Jun 2nd, '11, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.

Jun 2nd, '11, 15:58

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 15:58

TubbyCow wrote:Should we include our address, etc. in the first e-mail or do we wait until later for that?

It's all so spectacular. How long can the average human survive off Ramen noodles? :D
Yes, my thoughts exactly! O_O

You can include the following info when you PM your preferences, if not, I will be asking for them.

Name
Mailing addie including country
Phone # for customs
Shipping choice
Paypal email

Jun 2nd, '11, 16:32

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '11, 16:32

The question has been asked, does Priority shipping include tracking/insurance. My guess is no.

I would liken Priority to SAL for those familiar, very reliable and fast w/o the frills of tracking and insurance.

I will ask Petr to clarify this for us.

Jun 2nd, '11, 18:01

by zemlemer » Jun 2nd, '11, 18:01

Let's rock!
...and go to sleep. It's 1 a.m. here.
Last edited by zemlemer on Jun 2nd, '11, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply