Jan 20th, '12, 16:07
Scrolling: scrolling

NEW OFFICIAL TOPIC Hagi SSO 18 Eiichi Commission "Kohiku"

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 16:07

Hagi SSO 18 The Eiichi Commission! “Kohiku”

Kohiku is a general term referring to the glazing techniques. In this case, the glaze when applied was “white.” It then transforms to this Loquat with the noticable grayish greens. This is traditional Hagi method, but is not easy to master. These are the first pieces created by Shibuya Eiichi utilizing this technique. I would expect to see more of this in the future. I have seen this technique used by other TeaChat fave artisans from Choun Kiln including Noutomi Susumu.

The clay used is super Oni-Hagi (very rough sand clay) that will surely provide a very tactile drinking experience!

This Commission is a stepping stone, a progression, for Eiichi, as it was intended to be, for a young artisan to try something new. Despite his relative youth (grandson of mentor Shibuya Deishi), Eiichi has earned awards and much recognition already. Although by Japanese standards he still has much to learn as an artisan potter before he is honored as a Master and a National Treasure. But it is very exciting nevertheless to be involved with this obviously very talented (and already very popular) artisan at this stage in his development! I only hope we continue to have access to his works as his popularity continues to increase in Japan! (I already have 3 future Hagi SO projects in my head for Eiichi)

In the creation of this “Commission,” Eiichi was given very minimal directions except to do something new and different, and something suitable for tea. To give an artisan this free reign is a sign of respect and at the same time encouragement. From the beginning, Eiichi embraced this project humbly, but at the same time I sensed his excitement. He truly appreciated the encouragement and challenge we offered.

Jan 20th, '12, 16:12

Re: NEW OFFICIAL TOPIC Hagi SSO 18 Eiichi Commission "Kohiku"

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 16:12

After several tests and trial and error and then firings, Eiichi offered this Kohiku and one other alternative as prototypes for our Hagi SO. I would expect to see the other prototype for a future SO.

This one was chosen. Then in the creation phase, there was also some trial and error. Part of the learning process. This offerring represents the third firing attempt.

This Hagi SO is also unique in that 3 different forms/shapes/styles were created, only 10 of each. As with all Hagi SOs, this is a very limited run, in this case 30 total pieces. This is very small as many runs by in demand Hagi artisans are in the 100s and 1000s of units. These pieces were first created by Eiichi himself as “bisque” pieces specifically for this Hagi SO.

So, you will be able to choose from the three different shapes for your Commission piece.

I ask that as usual, PLEASE submit AT LEAST 5 choices. I also ask that you choose from more than one shape for obvious reasons. I will do my best to fulfill your first choices! In looking at the pieces, I feel that there is remarkable similarity within each shape. Choosing could be a challenge. If you prefer, you can ask me to choose for you, simply specify your 1st and 2nd shape choices.

The next 3 posts will individually discuss each shape/style. Then the following post will discuss pricing, ordering and shipping.

The 3 shapes/styles are:
Curved/tapered Yunomi (cup)
Ippuku-wan (mid sized TeaBowl)
Straight sided Yunomi (cup)

Here is the Eiichi Commission album in my Photobucket. There are no photos in this “album,” all the photos are in the 3 subalbums! You can see all the subalbums here:

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... ommission/

There are 3 sub albums, one for each style/shape.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... %20Yunomi/

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... ppuku-Wan/

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... %20Yunomi/

Jan 20th, '12, 16:18

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 16:18

Curved tapered Yunomi (with thumb imprint)

Measurements. To convert to cm, multiply inch measurement by 2.54

(#SSO-18-#11-#20) Curved/tapered Yunomi.
Average size: (H:3.54"-3.34") (W:3.93"-4.33")

--------------------------------------------------------------

Straight sided Yunomi

(#SSO-18-#1-#10) Straight side Yunomi.
Average size: (H:3.74"-3.54") (W:2.95"-3.14") .

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ipuuku-wan

(#SSO-18-#21-#30) Ippuku-wan.
Average size: (H:3.14"-3.34") (W:3.93"-4.13")

Jan 20th, '12, 16:34

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 16:34

For 2012, and continuing what we began with Hagi SSO Sendai, $5 of each Hagi purchased will be go to the TeaChat Japan Relief Fund. To date, over $900 has been raised. So buy Hagi and show your support for Japan. Thanks to all those who helped make this possible including Magokorodo and the participating artisans. And of course participating members!

Some very good news as well. Despite the fact that “Commissioned” pieces command higher prices, the Commission is priced lower than projected and originally quoted last January! You gotta love the integrity of the Japanese. We could have been charged the quoted price of $100 per piece. But instead our cost is $85. This also includes the upgraded “tie box” as pictured.

If you preordered and paid the $25 deposit, this is deducted from the cost making your balance $60 plus shipping.

1 work shipment cost: (registered-mail SAL: 1390 yen $18.50; U.S. EMS: 2220 yen $29.50, Europe EMS: 2600 yen $34.50).
Shipment cost of two works: (registered-mail SAL: 1990 yen $26.50; U.S. EMS: 3200 yen $42.50, Europe EMS: 3700 yen $49).
Shipment cost of three works: (registered-mail SAL: weight over / United States EMS: 4700 yen $62.50, Europe EMS: 5400 yen $71.50).

Once I receive your 5 selections or more, and from 2 shape categories, I will send payment information along with the actual # of your selection, BUT this time there will be a delay as “Deposit” members are given until Monday to submit their selections.

However you should submit your selections NOW as extras are very limited!!!

Jan 20th, '12, 16:39

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 16:39

And a word about the boxes.

This is the first Hagi SO to include the upgraded "tie box."

As usual, the box top is signed by the artisan and includes the kiln stamp. The box also includes the special designation stamp indicating the limited special offering to TeaChat members ... as well as the "piece number/total offering" This box is for piece number 11 of 30 total pieces in the special run.

Also, a certificate in included.

You should keep these items! These certify its authenticity but also add significant value to your Eiich Commission!

Jan 20th, '12, 16:59

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 16:59

OK, at 6 pm Eastern USA time,this topic will be unlocked and at long last The Eiichi Commission will go live, finally (yes redundant :mrgreen: )

You may then email your selections to yours truly at teachat@adagio.com

Remember, there will are only a very limited number of extra pieces. Email me NOW!

If you have any questions, you may ask here after 6 pm (exactly 1 hour from this posting or via PM or email.

Jan 20th, '12, 18:01

by demonyc » Jan 20th, '12, 18:01

PM SENTTTTT!!

Jan 20th, '12, 18:10

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 18:10

Please email your choices to teachat@adagio.com

Thanks.

I continue to be experiencing TeaChat technical problems here with extremely slow page loads ... and oh my gosh if I have to do anything related to PMs, I might as well read a book ... or write one!

So, PLEASE email me if at all possible! :mrgreen:

Jan 20th, '12, 18:32

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 18:32

Also, all I need is the actual piece numbers. For instance

I do not need the entire item number which is actually a bit confusing for my weary brain today. :mrgreen:

Jan 20th, '12, 21:14

by debunix » Jan 20th, '12, 21:14

Chip wrote:Hagi SSO 18 The Eiichi Commission! “Kohiku”

Kohiku is a general term referring to the glazing techniques. In this case, the glaze when applied was “white.” It then transforms to this Loquat with the noticable grayish greens.
I'm thinking of calling mine "Peachy Keen" instead.

Jan 20th, '12, 21:48

by Drax » Jan 20th, '12, 21:48

Speaking of names, Chip, any idea what kanji spell out 'kohiku'? I did some searching around but couldn't figure it out....

Jan 20th, '12, 22:25

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 22:25

I am sure I can find out, Drax. Might be a few days as I generally do not bother Mago on weekends.
debunix wrote:

Kohiku is a general term referring to the glazing techniques. In this case, the glaze when applied was “white.” It then transforms to this Loquat with the noticable grayish greens.
Of course you can "nick" yours! :mrgreen: I am sure many of us have given names to our little treasures from Japan.

Jan 20th, '12, 22:31

by AdamMY » Jan 20th, '12, 22:31

Chip wrote:I am sure I can find out, Drax. Might be a few days as I generally do not bother Mago on weekends.
debunix wrote:

Of course you can "nick" yours! :mrgreen: I am sure many of us have given names to our little treasures from Japan.

You mean like Frosting, and Glacial Flows?

Jan 20th, '12, 22:51

by iannon » Jan 20th, '12, 22:51

AdamMY wrote:
Chip wrote:I am sure I can find out, Drax. Might be a few days as I generally do not bother Mago on weekends.
debunix wrote:

You mean like Frosting, and Glacial Flows?
or Cool Breeze and Big Blue

Jan 20th, '12, 23:00

by Chip » Jan 20th, '12, 23:00

... or Fuji ...

Yeah ... :mrgreen:

Still some pieces available ... and you can name it whatever you want!

+ Post Reply