What herbal tea are you drinking today?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Aug 7th, '14, 15:44

by bonescwa » Aug 7th, '14, 15:44

The "fancier" grocery stores typically have them and almost NOTHING is reasonably priced there. Just cheaper, what was considered to be poor people food is much more expensive now because rich people who know nothing about the value of things blow money on them. Kind of like what's going on with tea.

Aug 9th, '14, 22:13

Re:

by daidokorocha » Aug 9th, '14, 22:13

bonescwa wrote:The "fancier" grocery stores typically have them and almost NOTHING is reasonably priced there. Just cheaper, what was considered to be poor people food is much more expensive now because rich people who know nothing about the value of things blow money on them. Kind of like what's going on with tea.
Perhaps, but I live in a city that has zero grass! I don't really go to "fancier" grocery stores, so I'm not sure the prices, but you can pick them up at grocers like H-Mart in gigantic bundles for something like 50 cents. Taking the train out to the fields or suburbs to trespass on people's properties would surely cost me more than that, even without including the legal fees! I agree with your general sentiment, however, that many things are being marked up due to general fads. That is why I go to places like H-Mart for these things, as these types of vegetables have been part of Korean food culture for centuries and valued properly as such. Remember, a certain type of tea isn't necessarily bad just because Teavana dresses it up in sloganeering and marks it up 200%!

Aug 16th, '14, 21:37

Re: What herbal tea are you drinking today?

by daidokorocha » Aug 16th, '14, 21:37

My amacha arrived today and phew... is this stuff sweet. Delicious, but in the future I'll go with that one leaf rule set forth by debunix. I put something like five leaves in and I'm still going on 5+ 16 oz.steeps with no signs of weakening flavor after two initial 8 oz cups. Wow.

Aug 16th, '14, 22:22

by debunix » Aug 16th, '14, 22:22

It is powerful stuff!

Jan 9th, '15, 23:35
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 9th, '15, 23:35

Beautiful high-grade gynostemma from Northern China. Much higher grade than the stuff I bought at a supermarket in Hainan. Good stuff.

Jan 16th, '15, 00:13

by debunix » Jan 16th, '15, 00:13

Lemon myrtle rooibos. I'm trying to recapture the incredible tea I got from the Cultured Cup a few years back, with a batch of lemon myrtle just delivered today from Mahamosa, and Rooibos from Tao of Tea. The rooibos part is terrific, but the lemon myrtle is not fresh and vibrant like it should be. Sad. Maybe I can work something out with the lemongrass I have growing vigorously in a planter in my yard.

Jan 17th, '15, 23:13
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 17th, '15, 23:13

Lemongrass and rooibos sounds good!

Mar 8th, '15, 16:48

by Erawiel » Mar 8th, '15, 16:48

Finished a mix of mint and ginger. Helps an upset stomac after eating more than I should have. :oops:

Mar 23rd, '15, 14:12

by Erawiel » Mar 23rd, '15, 14:12

About to make a cup of chamomille and maybe add a wee bit of lavender. And honey. No idea if honey is like sugar and affects the sleep, but we'll find out soon enough. ;)

Apr 9th, '15, 00:31

by scheumee » Apr 9th, '15, 00:31

I'm currently having a cup of ginger and peppermint with a little licorice and Valerian. Good stuff right before bed.

Oct 2nd, '15, 05:57

by john.b » Oct 2nd, '15, 05:57

I finally tried mulberry tea, an herbal tea / tisane popular in Thailand, claimed to be very healthy. It was nice.

I was into tisanes for a long time but after switching over to the other kind of tea it's hard to not miss the complexity and subtlety of better regular teas. It was a gift and I'm happy to have it but it's hard to get around to drinking it, even though in theory It should be perfect for the evenings when I don't drink normal teas.

Oct 2nd, '15, 15:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 2nd, '15, 15:03

Ginger Tea, been drinking a cup or two every day for the last 2 months.

Oct 2nd, '15, 15:26

by debunix » Oct 2nd, '15, 15:26

If you have a chance to try hydrangea leaf tea (known as gamro in Korea), that's a very complex spicy sweet tisane.

Not a replacement for C sinensis tea, but a nice change of pace for times when caffeine is not welcome.

Oct 2nd, '15, 15:26

by debunix » Oct 2nd, '15, 15:26

And Chip, how do you make your ginger tea?

Oct 5th, '15, 12:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 5th, '15, 12:24

debunix wrote:If you have a chance to try hydrangea leaf tea (known as gamro in Korea), that's a very complex spicy sweet tisane.

Not a replacement for C sinensis tea, but a nice change of pace for times when caffeine is not welcome.
+1 ... it has been too long since I had gamro from Hankook ... really nice drink when caffeine is out of the question.

+ Post Reply