Steeping time and tea amount

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Sep 30th, '06, 18:02

Steeping time and tea amount

by Bocaburgler » Sep 30th, '06, 18:02

I just bought a bunch of herbal teas and i was trying to figure out what adjustment i need to make in order to get to the flavor i want.

I want a stronger cup with more flavor, and so far the teaspoon with 7 minutes isn't cutting it.

So do i steep it longer, or add more tea? I've tried a bunch of different combo's but i keep getting unstastify tea. and I don't want to waste anymore.

I only say this because with rishi they suggest using more tea for a sweeter bolder tea, but so far using more tea hasn't been working on the "berry blast" and others from adagio. Just makes it tart and tangy.

thanks

Sep 30th, '06, 19:32

by zippered » Sep 30th, '06, 19:32

You might just not like herbals. They really aren't my favorites. My boyfriend thinks they just taste like weak juice, no matter how much tea is added and how long is steeps.

Sep 30th, '06, 21:42

by Bocaburgler » Sep 30th, '06, 21:42

well, maybe i just don't like the tea blends i got in the mail.

The foxtrot makes me wanna gag, and all the mango, berry, apple stuff is really sour or really weak.

But i do enjoy a good herbal, it's just that all my favorites have been from rishi thus far.

But hypothetically speaking, what WOULD i change? steep or amount? and i'm kinda curious what each one does over the other. i.e. stepping more flavor full, or does adding more tea make it more flavor full.

Just more flavor, but still smooth with out bitterness.

Oct 1st, '06, 16:40

by teamuse » Oct 1st, '06, 16:40

I would go for more tea in the pot, personally.

Some herbals are a million times better with up to 2x+ the 1 tsp guideline. And some, no matter what you do...just are not ones taste.
"Life is too short to drink bad tea!"

Oct 3rd, '06, 11:34

by Madam Potts » Oct 3rd, '06, 11:34

having started off as an herbal tisane drinker, I have found that a heaping teaspoon or tablespoon is better. MOst herbals are rather forgiving and a 7-10 minute brew will give you the stronger more robust taste you are after.

I have also found that the herbals like berry blast and foxtrot and mango rooibos are sickeningly sweet or tart and give "herbals" a bad name.

Berries and fruit (I will call them "fruit teas") in general are a delicate balance...and really should be a separate item from herbals...

Try Republic of Tea or Yogi tea (if you bag it). Or better yet, look in a natural health food store for companies that are more in tuned with the herbs they are selling.
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

+ Post Reply