Looking for loose catnip... Know of any good sources?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Looking for loose catnip... Know of any good sources?

Postby souphippie » Jan 23rd, '08, 21:59

Call me crazy, but I enjoy a good cup of catnip! Yes, it makes cat go bonkers but it does the reverse for humans... a nice, relaxing "tea." Does anyone know where this can be bought in loose form?

Also, I'm looking for buckwheat. I've had it in bag form but wanted to also try this in loose form.

souphippie
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 20, '08

Postby Eastree » Jan 23rd, '08, 22:40

I don't know about buckwheat, but catnip can typically be found loose in pet stores by the bag. But better for food consumption, seeds are also typically available (just to be sure it's clean when you grow it yourself).

User avatar Eastree
Posts: 361
Joined: Jul 08, '07
Location: Submerged in a good cuppa

Postby Chip » Jan 24th, '08, 00:29

This stuff grows wild all over my property, even out of a mortared stone wall. But alas, it is Winter. Well, same with every type of mint as well.

Never thought of making a tisane out of it though.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Looking for loose catnip... Know of any good sources?

Postby skywarrior » Jan 24th, '08, 02:48

souphippie wrote:Call me crazy, but I enjoy a good cup of catnip! Yes, it makes cat go bonkers but it does the reverse for humans... a nice, relaxing "tea." Does anyone know where this can be bought in loose form?

Also, I'm looking for buckwheat. I've had it in bag form but wanted to also try this in loose form.


My cat has a 2 lb stash. No, she won't share! :lol:

Seriously, you can grow your own catnip (many pet stores like PetsMart have it or start with seed or get it from Walmart in the spring :idea: ) or you can try to get organic catnip for cats. The organically grown catnip I have is from http://www.kittybags.com/ and it's premium stuff. My cat loves it.

I, personally, don't like the smell of catnip, but I know plenty of people who do like it. Catnip is a member of the mint family and has relaxing properties for humans when drank as a tea.

BTW, cats must have the "catnip gene" to be affected by catnip. Young kittens are not affected by catnip. And when cats are done going bonkers, it relaxes them like it does us.

User avatar skywarrior
Posts: 578
Joined: Aug 23, '07
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.
Contact skywarrior:

Postby forkyfork » Jan 24th, '08, 09:20

Mountainroseherbs.com sells "Catnip Lea and Flower"

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/c.html

I have ordered from them and they are an excellent website for herbs ando ther "natural" stuff in general. Their shipping is a little higher though, and they don't give you any breaks on free shipping like a lot of other places do.

Still.. I would highly recommend them :)

User avatar forkyfork
Posts: 95
Joined: Sep 14, '07
Location: Orlando, FL

Postby hop_goblin » Jan 24th, '08, 14:12

Yo, your local health foods place should have all of that stuff. Well, I know they will have buckwheat. I have bought organic catnip from Petco

User avatar hop_goblin
Posts: 1955
Joined: May 22, '06
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact hop_goblin:

Postby souphippie » Jan 24th, '08, 21:11

Thanks everyone! As of right now I'm attending college in a small Texas town... so catnip isn't readily available. I'll check the pet stores for seeds though... because I know they don't have any live plants... my cat loves the fresh stuff!

Yep... catnip is very relaxing! Nice smooth taste.

souphippie
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 20, '08

Postby souphippie » Jan 24th, '08, 21:12

Chip wrote:This stuff grows wild all over my property, even out of a mortared stone wall. But alas, it is Winter. Well, same with every type of mint as well.

Never thought of making a tisane out of it though.


Holy Chip! Next time that stuff is growing, pluck some of it from Mother Earth... clean it... and brew that stuff! It's pretty wicked stuff!

souphippie
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 20, '08

Postby souphippie » Jan 24th, '08, 21:13

forkyfork wrote:Mountainroseherbs.com sells "Catnip Lea and Flower"

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/c.html

I have ordered from them and they are an excellent website for herbs ando ther "natural" stuff in general. Their shipping is a little higher though, and they don't give you any breaks on free shipping like a lot of other places do.

Still.. I would highly recommend them :)


Thanks Forky... digging this site!

souphippie
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 20, '08

Postby go green » Jan 24th, '08, 21:49

specialteas.com

Sorry...wrong place. They actually have it at dragonwater-

http://www.dragonwater.com/product_deta ... p_tea.html

User avatar go green
Posts: 49
Joined: Oct 24, '07
Location: Indiana

Postby DethChef » Jan 25th, '08, 14:44

I've got a friend that grows extra-potent organic catnip.

Here's her link:
http://sonomacomaslappy.com/Orderpage.html

User avatar DethChef
Posts: 20
Joined: Oct 08, '07
Location: Sacto, Kalifornia
Contact DethChef:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest