Home Grown Mint

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Aug 20th, '08, 10:05

by shogun89 » Aug 20th, '08, 10:05

When harvesting catnip, as soon as I see the first flower I cut the whole plant to the ground, then tie the ends and dry it in the attic.

Aug 20th, '08, 19:11

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 20th, '08, 19:11

shogun89 wrote:When harvesting catnip, as soon as I see the first flower I cut the whole plant to the ground, then tie the ends and dry it in the attic.
Is this to harvest for tea? I just purchased a catnip plant among a few others from Richters and it has some flowers on it, but the plant is actually just for my cat :P

Maybe Ill post some pictures of my little "garden" although everything is in pots. I have a big apple mint plant that is in full bloom right now and also received "cotton candy" mint from Richters.

Mod Mary's Edit: I changed our beloved Muse's post to include a link to Richters' mint. It sounded so awesome I had to Google and share. Incidentally, they also offer tea seeds. Now, off to plan the fantasy garden!

Aug 21st, '08, 01:43

by JadeKitsune » Aug 21st, '08, 01:43

Mary R -- Lovely idea! I had no idea Alton did an herb episode. *squeals with glee* He is my cooking hero. Thanks for the links!

Polyhymnian -- I'm intrigued with your catnip. My room-mate's crazed kitty loves to devour my plants. I've thought of getting pet grass for the poor thing (Hector is his name by the way. I thought you'd appreciate that ;-).

Does catnip keep them sufficiently entertained? Will the rest of the garden be safe?

Mmmm, apple mint sounds fantastic. I had no idea there were so many varieties!

Aug 21st, '08, 16:54

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 21st, '08, 16:54

Thank you Mary for adding the link :D

I can't really say for sure that catnip keeps the cats away from other plants, but supposedly most cats are very attracted to it so they will most likely go for it rather than anything else. There is a plant (I think Richters sells it aswell) called "Piss off" which is meant to keep animals away.

I wish i could say i'm somewhat of an expert of plants, or even that I know a good deal but i'm learning everyday. From what i've read about catnip, cats will consume it and either get really energetic or really mellow for maybe a half an hour and than they won't touch it for a couple hours again. I suppose that there is a period of time a cat has to wait before the effect can be achieved again.

Back to the topic of mint though, there are so many varieties of mint that sounds wonderful but I often wonder how big of a difference one mint is in taste to another. The apple mint that I have has a very distinct apple smell and taste. I can't speak for the cotton candy mint I purchased as it isnt big enough yet to produce significant sized leaves for use, although it smells quite sweet. Pictures are on their way!

Aug 21st, '08, 17:20

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 21st, '08, 17:20

Apple Mint

Rosemary

Cotton Candy Mint

Catnip

Patchouli

Basil & More Basil

Those are the more outstanding plants that I have anyway :)

Aug 21st, '08, 23:28

by JadeKitsune » Aug 21st, '08, 23:28

I can only speak from experience on chocolate mint and spearmint.

I will say that chocolate mint carries a definite overtone of dark chocolate.

My favorite desert combination happens to be mint and chocolate, so this seemed like a match made in heaven ;-). Made delicious tea.

I'm VERY interested in that "piss off" plant. I've heard marigolds help deter pests, but I didn't know there were plants to annoy animals into other areas. Mother Nature is brilliant.

Today I caught the cat fiend eating my winged elm bonsai. Much squirting with the spray bottle forced Hector (the cat) into calculated retreat... after he devour half the foliage.

*restrains urge to kill (deceptively) innocent creature*

I'm thinking pet grass and a combination of "piss off" might do the trick, if that works on cats ;-).

~Jess

Aug 23rd, '08, 13:03

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 23rd, '08, 13:03

I've been feeling more and more strongly about starting a plant blog... :P

Aug 24th, '08, 18:20

by JadeKitsune » Aug 24th, '08, 18:20

*smiles*

Poly - I've been thinking the same thing, oddly enough. Put my journalism degree to good use!

Let me know if you decide to go for it; I'd love to read it.

Thanks again for all you lovely people sharing your experience and advice here. Such a fun read!

~Jess

Sep 2nd, '08, 09:41
Location: curled up with my cats, a good book, and a nice cup of tea

by Cinnamon » Sep 2nd, '08, 09:41

I'm in the midst of renovations and have no easy way to reach my back yard at the moment, so full gardening is not an option. I do, however, have two windows in my dining room that get plenty of morning sun and are a perfect spot for windowboxes; I'm thinking that next spring I'll have to put some up and plant a few mints in one and some kitchen herbs in the other.

You all have given me some great ideas to mull over. Thanks!

~Cin

+ Post Reply