Sep 20th, '05, 19:05

Re: Tea Swap

by Marlene » Sep 20th, '05, 19:05

klemptor wrote:I'd like to organize a tea swap.
Sorry Klemptor! I didn't read your first post very carefully apparantly!! I didn't mean to step on any toes! I can certainly offer any advice and help you need.
Marlene
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Sep 20th, '05, 20:56

by klemptor » Sep 20th, '05, 20:56

I didn't mean to step on any toes!
No worries - no toes stepped on here!
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Sep 20th, '05, 21:12

by klemptor » Sep 20th, '05, 21:12

LadyA-

A few thoughts:
Wouldn't this get a bit complicated if someone asks for specific preferences
We could consider having some basic guidelines for the swap (e.g. loose-leaf only/bagged only)
...preferences, like only decaf or no greens
If the idea of a swap is popular and takes off, we could organize themed swaps: one month it could be all greens, the next month it could be nothing but decaf.... I'd want to do a "anything goes" swap first, to see how it would work and identify any kinks.

EDIT: By doing monthly themed swaps, people can choose month by month whether or not they want to participate...if it's rooibos month and you can't stand the stuff, simply don't send in any tea.
Hrm, as long as you don't send our own teas back to us.
Of course not, silly! ;) But if two people sent the same kind of tea there may be a repeat.
Would everything have to be separated out before sending?
We could do this one of two ways:

1. I organize the swap and all teas are sent to me, along with a dollar or so to cover postage. I send everybody a package with samples of what everybody sent. If I do this, don't worry - I have a ton of small plastic Ziploc bags that I can use to easily repackage the tea and all I'd have to do is print labels for the bags, which is no big. (While Ziploc bags aren't ideal for tea storage, they're inexpensive and will be fine for storing what will probably amount to enough leaves to make one or two cups of each type of tea sent to me.)

Incidentally, if we do this, the person organizing it would need to spend a little time on it. Marlene has already volunteered to organize a swap so I was thinking that we could rotate swap organizers. Anybody else interested in organizing would get a chance that way.

2. I post a list that says something to the effect of "LadyArden sends to Marlene, Marlene sends to Klemptor, Klemptor sends to LadyArden." This would mean each person would get tea from one person only. The downside of this is that somebody could back out at the last minute, leaving their recipient in the lurch (while the backer-outter has already received his/her tea). And I don't really anticipate that happening but the first way is a good way to prevent it.

If people are interested, I'd like to do a general tea swap to see how it goes before we try the custom blend tea swap that I mentoned in the "flavors" forum.

Sound OK? Hope I made sense!

Sep 21st, '05, 11:35

by klemptor » Sep 21st, '05, 11:35

No problem! :) I'm gonna let this topic sit for a few days so I can see how many people are interested. In about a week I'll post details about where and how much to send.

Sep 21st, '05, 12:35

by Tadiera » Sep 21st, '05, 12:35

I am interested. :) I may not have a very vast tea selection, but...

Sep 21st, '05, 18:06

by Dronak » Sep 21st, '05, 18:06

This does sound like it could be interesting, but I think I'll wait for some additional information before deciding. My recent Adagio order was for a lot of things I wanted to try, so I'm not sure I want to mail off all of one of them for a swap. But it could be a good way to get some tastes of other teas I didn't buy, so I'll just watch the thread for the time being and see where things go.

Sep 23rd, '05, 00:31

by PeteVu » Sep 23rd, '05, 00:31

i have yet to drink a tea that dissapointed me. i figure i can just... buy new ones i wanted to try instead of trading one i like for one i might not like.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Sep 25th, '05, 13:04

Tea Swap

by Lana Y » Sep 25th, '05, 13:04

I am actually interested in swapping whole sample sizes minus 1 teaspoon of some teas that aren't my favorite...if anyone is interested in swapping my greens for your Oolongs let me know.
A Women is like TEA...You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water...

Sep 25th, '05, 18:42

by PeteVu » Sep 25th, '05, 18:42

that depends... which greens? ^^[/i]
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Sep 30th, '05, 17:01

by klemptor » Sep 30th, '05, 17:01

OK guys - those of you interested in the teaswap can PM me and I'll let you know where to send your tea. :)

Oct 12th, '05, 17:38

by Tadiera » Oct 12th, '05, 17:38

My schedule is crazy and I have not been able to fit in going by the post office yet. Argh.

Maybe Saturday. :(

Sorry it is taking me so long.

Oct 13th, '05, 15:02

by Ally » Oct 13th, '05, 15:02

I do a tea swap in a couple of LiveJournal communities and it's so fun! i'm in!! sending PM now :)